Which Network Mode, Global or CDMA?

jetjim

Reaction score
I live in the US, and do not travel. It says that the recommended Network Mode is Global. Is that better for someone like me who doesn't travel, or would I get better reception setting it on CDMA?

debracey

Reaction score
In the US you're only using CDMA anyway -- so it would be better for battery life to switch to CDMA (only). North America (including the Caribbean), and most cruise ships, are covered with CDMA. So you should only need global mode if you travel to South America, Europe, Africa or the Pacific Rim.

-- Dan

OP
J

jetjim

Reaction score
In the US you're only using CDMA anyway -- so it would be better for battery life to switch to CDMA (only). North America (including the Caribbean), and most cruise ships, are covered with CDMA. So you should only need global mode if you travel to South America, Europe, Africa or the Pacific Rim.

-- Dan
Strange....I don't know when it happened, however, my phone re-started today by itself. I just checked the Network Mode, and it's back on Global.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

-- Dan
Strange....I don't know when it happened, however, my phone re-started today by itself. I just checked the Network Mode, and it's back on Global.

Yeah, I read somewhere that global is almost like the default setting. Global is the setting from the manufacturer. If your phone reboots it can change your settings from CDMA to global...just need to check it if that happens to you. Mine has done it a couple of times.

OP
J

jetjim

Reaction score
I guess that is doesn't make sense to change it back to CDMA again, if it is going to change back to Global by itself. Is there a way to keep it on CDMA.....Anyone?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I guess that is doesn't make sense to change it back to CDMA again, if it is going to change back to Global by itself. Is there a way to keep it on CDMA.....Anyone?

It only changes back to global when the phone reboots itself...and not every time from my experience. The setting does not change during normal power on/off that you initiate. The phone will retain the settings that you have chosen in normal power on/off operations.

OP
J

jetjim

Reaction score

It only changes back to global when the phone reboots itself...and not every time from my experience. The setting does not change during normal power on/off that you initiate. The phone will retain the settings that you have chosen in normal power on/off operations.
Thanks, however my Droid Pro reboots itself once in a while, and then it changes back to Global. It rebooted a few minutes after I changed it to CDMA. Many Droid Pro's do this. So, I guess I may as well leave it on Global.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Thanks, however my Droid Pro reboots itself once in a while, and then it changes back to Global. It rebooted a few minutes after I changed it to CDMA. Many Droid Pro's do this. So, I guess I may as well leave it on Global.

Well, you can leave it on global if you want...but it is going to increase your battery usage and battery usage is already an issue with android phones and the Pro is no exception. The phone rebooting on it own has nothing to do with the "type" network you have the phone set to.

OP
J

jetjim

Reaction score
As was asked above, if set to CDMA, should it be set then to Home or Automatic?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Automatic always! Home won't allow it to be used when away.

As was asked above, if set to CDMA, should it be set then to Home or Automatic?

DroidForums Junkie!!

eus107709

Reaction score
Ever since I factory reset my phone and disabled all the useless apps, my battery life has been great. This is despite the fact that I forgot to switch from Global to CDMA.