Which Linux?

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Which make of Linux is best or most popular to use for Android Development? Ubuntu? I am going to install Linux and not sure which one to go with.

Thanks!

Brian1

Reaction score
Any major distro should work fine. Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, Gentoo, to name a few. Just recommend one with Gnome or KDE gui interface to help you start to work with linux. Everyone seems to like one or the other for personal reasons on how it looks or works. I been using Redhat/Fedora for 10 plus years. I am so use to it and know the under the gui features. Just my perference. I suggest you try many of them till you find one you like.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Ubuntu for everything...but as mentioned any of them should be fine.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
+1 for Ubuntu.

Works great on newer hardware, does a great job of automatically downloading and installing 3rd party proprietary drivers, and has a very up-to-date package repository.

One caveat, be careful when doing upgrades between versions, or doing kernel upgrades. That is when I've seen most of the problems occur.

I use Linux both personally and professionally, and Ubuntu is the best distro I have ever seen for personal use.

-Mike

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes be careful when upgrading...make sure you back up everything if you don't do a fresh install

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I use Ubuntu 10.4 in a virtual environment (OracleVirtualBox). I have two VM's setup, one compiling AOSP source with some changes I've made and one compiling Cyanogen's ROM. I dedicated 1/2 of my system's resources to each VM (only running one at a time), allowing me to continue doing all the Windows stuff while my Ubuntu system runs a compile in the VM.

Kinfolk_Thuggin

Reaction score
I use Ubuntu 10.4 in a virtual environment (OracleVirtualBox). I have two VM's setup, one compiling AOSP source with some changes I've made and one compiling Cyanogen's ROM. I dedicated 1/2 of my system's resources to each VM (only running one at a time), allowing me to continue doing all the Windows stuff while my Ubuntu system runs a compile in the VM.

I'm a little lost... so do you have a VM of Ubuntu that has two Android VM's or are you using three separate VM's? I was thinking about loading up VBox for ubuntu

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

I'm a little lost... so do you have a VM of Ubuntu that has two Android VM's or are you using three separate VM's? I was thinking about loading up VBox for ubuntu

I have my main Win7 Ultimate PC (for most stuff) and run Oracle Virtualbox. I have two VM's configured under Virtualbox (both running Ubuntu 10.04), one that has repo'd against Android AOSP and the other that has repo'd against Cyanogen's. I don't run both at the same time as I dedicated 1/2 of my Win7 system to each virtual box. Most times I'm in my Sholes VM (AOSP) and every so often I shut it down and fire up the Cyanogen one and repo sync and then run a 'make' and host that on my website for my brother to use. I monitor what changes Cyanogen is doing as well to see if anything is happening that I'd like to try to incorporate in my AOSP build.

Win7 being the host is always running where I read the forums, do email, etc...

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I use Wubi. From the site:

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!

You still boot like you would and select Ubuntu or Windows @ startup, but it installs like anything else in Windows.
Just been perusing the Ubuntu forums trying to figure out how to get my Dell 1390 WLAN card working with it so I can start playing around. It's been maybe 3 weeks with no luck.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i use ubuntu. i use ubuntu, vista, and leopard all about equally. but ya, wubi makes installation really simple

mozicodo

Reaction score
If you're doing GUI development, Fedora handles Eclipse a little better than Ubuntu did for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bikeandestroyx

Reaction score
Linux mint is the way to go, based off ubuntu, never had a problem with any drivers not working. Could not for the life of me get wireless on anything but mint last year either. Fedora is also very nice, i would say make a partition and just install a couple distro's and see what you like the best. It doesnt take long to install, or you can boot them off cd and see what you like that way.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
ubuntu 10.04 with a 100gb partition. thats my preference. it all depends on what you mean by android development. building android or making apps. making apps you can do in windows ;) but open source is FTW

kevdog

Reaction score
If someone could point me how to compile from AOSP or from Cyanogen sources (and I mean the ROM in addition to the kernel, it would be great!!).

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Ubuntu is for non-Linux users , for true hard core Fedora or openSUSE is preferred , after all the Father of Linux Linus Torvalds says he use Fedora or SuSE , so I go with the Master of the Linux Kernel and use one of those .
NOTE , after making the statement he only used Fedora (Red Hat) or SuSE , Linus was pushed and pestered by Ubuntu as to why he did not use it , he finally gave in and altered his statement , but originally he only stated Fedora , SuSE , seeing they were always a pure , advanced , and workable Linux . Originally Linus stated that Ubuntu was always in disarray , not good for a Linux Distro , and here is a thought , if Ubuntu is so easy and has so few problems , why is there a Forum filled with problems ? Ask yourself , just because a guy bought a ride into space , does that make him a Astronaut or just a Tourist with lots of money ?
Fedora or openSuse , for what it is worth , stay away from the U , teaches bad habits in Linux .