Which app for Outlook access?

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I have a Corporate Calendar app and Email, GMail and K-9 Mail installed on my Droid. I thought I remembered there was a Corporate E-Mail but I can't find that now. Which one do I want to hook up to my company's Exchange server?

scottd21

Reaction score
Touchdown Email it is in the market, cost is 19.99. Works very well.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

The phone is supposed to do Exchange out of the box. I don't plan to buy anything else until I know that I don't like the native solution.

You won't like it, trust me........

Go Touchdown and never go back.......it's awesome.

True, Use it for a Day. The $20 is worth every cent!
Does everything except notes...but that is in the works.

jbsangel

Reaction score
What you want to use is just the 'Email' app. Set up your account as exchange and you are set. Your calendar will show up in the corporate calendar app. Your exchange contacts, if you choose to sync them, will show up in the regular contacts application.

As an aside, the corporate calendar and the gmail calendar are 2 separate apps but there a few apps/widgets in the marketplace that will put an agenda on your home screen with both calendars combined. I use pure calendar widget myself and like it a lot.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
What you want to use is just the 'Email' app. Set up your account as exchange and you are set. Your calendar will show up in the corporate calendar app. Your exchange contacts, if you choose to sync them, will show up in the regular contacts application.

Thanks. Mostly I want to know I have new e-mail and sometimes I'll read it but if I really want to reply, I go use my laptop and VPN in to work.

As an aside, the corporate calendar and the gmail calendar are 2 separate apps but there a few apps/widgets in the marketplace that will put an agenda on your home screen with both calendars combined. I use pure calendar widget myself and like it a lot.

I use Google Calendar Sync on my work computer to keep my Google Calendar up to date. It does have problems, though (floods my Deleted folder with ancient appointments).

jbsangel

Reaction score
I use Google Calendar Sync on my work computer to keep my Google Calendar up to date. It does have problems, though (floods my Deleted folder with ancient appointments).
That behavior along with certain kinds of appointments not syncing properly were the deal breaker for me with that application. I don't understand why my deleted items has to have 300 deleted items added to it every time a sync happens. Search is awful in Outlook and having all those extra items added makes it a pain if I am trying to find something I've deleted and later decide i need.

I believe the OP was just asking how to connect to his exchange server, even though his title suggest wanting to know how to sync with outlook.

I would prefer to have my exchange calendar in sync with my google calendar, but I settle for just retrieving with exchange and using the separate corporate and regular calendar applications since syncing the two isn't seamless yet.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
The included Email app has native Exchange ActiveSync support. IMHO it's pretty basic. It is perfect for those that just want to check their recent mail including any account folders, reply to those, compose mail to addresses that they can remember, and have the Read/Unread status synced. What it doesn't do is let you search your e-mail, no GAL, input just the recipient's username (recipient AD account username is supported in Windows Mobile), and no access to Public Folders. If you get a lot of mail, it will play the sound you designate for each message and can get really annoying fast. Android only has a basic sync schedule of intervals and doesn't do different sync schedules based on one's work and off hours.

Personally it works ok for me. I've missed some features from WM, but I don't do a lot of e-mail when I'm not bound to my cube. In a pinch, I can use OWA via the Browser app to find a specific e-mail; the browser is one area that WM has severely lacked.

If you need a better e-mail client for your Exchange account, there are 3rd party apps that can fill that need.

MJ5150

Reaction score
There is nothing better than Touchdown. My free trial is about to expire, and I'll be paying $20 for a license.

I get a message from the native app when I try to add my work e-mail to it telling me that my corporate Exchange server requires features my Droid does not support. Yet it works on Touchdown, so I think it is a failing on the part of the native e-mail app. Besides, the native app is cheesy anyway. It constantly notifies me of e-mails I have already read and makes them as unread after I read them sometimes.

Pay the $20 and get Touchdown. It is worth every penny.

-Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which one do I want to hook up to my company's Exchange server?
FYI, Outlook != Exchange even though people do tend to use them interchangeably. Exchange is the server. Outlook is the client. Having "Outlook access" in your subject is misleading.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Adware? Feh!

So I've got the trial version installed and it's hands-down more functional and attractive than the native client. But how do I keep it from appending, "Sent from my Droid with Touchdown" (or whatever)? I will not use it if that can't be turned off.

jpolidore

Reaction score
You can turn it off as soon as you pay the money!!! Just kidding, once you have the full app you can change sig. I tell everyone I know that has a droid to dwnld it an try the free trial or save yourself some time and buy it. You will anyway.