Where does Droid save ringtones?

dbmorris

Reaction score
I downloaded the below ringtone today (twice actually, couldn't find it). I successfully added it as my wife's RT but when I went to delete one of the two downloads (it list it twice when you go to select it) i can't find it anywhere. I searched the SD card with Astro, nothing. I searched the base dir of the phone, nothing. Any ideas? I hate things just floating around on the phone without knowing where they are.

Myxer
Thanks for any help,

Danny

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you downloaded off the webpage (through the browser) it should, by default, be in the 'download' folder on the SD card.

OP
D

dbmorris

Reaction score
If you downloaded off the webpage (through the browser) it should, by default, be in the 'download' folder on the SD card.

Thats what i thought as well but i checked it, only thing there is the app i downloaded from a website the other day. I thought maybe it was just cached so i cleared the file and rebooted, still listed twice as an available ringtone. So i searched the root dir and system dir, nothing. I searched using just .mp3, nothing. I searched for files newer than 1 day, not listed.

I know its somewhere because it plays and is listed. Hate to think if i download something it jusst hides it somewhere.

Danny

reyd1

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. Cannot find where it put those files....:mad:

Echo3

Reaction score
I had that problem too. I searched every directory in the phone I was not able to locate it. I even tried to do a search and no file found. I had duplicates and ringtones I did not want due to the sound quality not being so good. I got frustrated so I factory reset my phone and the downloaded ringtones were gone. So, they are downloaded into the phone somewhere and not on the SD card, maybe under another filename (?). Next time just create a folder in your SD card, and drag n drop them manually.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thats what i thought as well but i checked it, only thing there is the app i downloaded from a website the other day. I thought maybe it was just cached so i cleared the file and rebooted, still listed twice as an available ringtone. So i searched the root dir and system dir, nothing. I searched using just .mp3, nothing. I searched for files newer than 1 day, not listed.

I know its somewhere because it plays and is listed. Hate to think if i download something it jusst hides it somewhere.

Danny
Nothing should be 'hidden' from you when you download. Is the ringtone showing up in the selection list when you try to set it as a ringtone? If it's not showing up at all I would assume to download failed or didn't go through and the file never made it's way onto your device.

As another poster mentioned, you might want to create two folders on your SD card "ringtones" and "notifications" and just drag and drop the files you want into the corresponding folder :)