whent back to stock now missing recovery

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
ok so i heard that the froyo 2.2 ota was going to be hitting soon so i figd i would go back stock so i could see check it out. so i used the thread on unrooting and going back stock with the .sbf file with rsdlite. did that with the 2.0.1 .sbf and everything seemed fine till i noticed it would'nt update to 2.1. i whent and did the update check in settings and it says system is curently up to date. then outta curiosity i booted into recovery and all i get is the pic of an exclamation point with the phone lying infront nothing else. if i hit the power button while that is on there it reboots. i have also tried with the 2.0.sbp file also and the same thing and i am running as admin with the drivers needed and letting it fully complete! so what do i do any help would be great!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I dono much about un-rooting because I don't ever plan to, however I do know that you are not supposed to have SP Recovery on your phone if you un-rooted. If you put your phone back to stock you should see the explanation mark for pwr+X.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you should be able to go into Settings/About Phone/System Update and see what version you are on. You should be able to manually update from there as well.

IcculusX is correct in that you won't have SPRecovery if you flash the stock 2.01 sbf file to your phone.

If your phone boots and is functional then you have RSD Lite installed and running correctly so don't worry about your drivers and whatnot as they are fine.

My phone, while on a 2.2 rom says my system is up to date. I wouldn't expect yours to say that.

Also in about phone can you tell us what it says under "android version" and "build number" ?

OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
when in about phone i hit sys update and it say your system is currently up to date.
firmware version: 2.0
build number: esd20

so in recovery unless i had sprecovery i should see no txt at all just the pic?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
when in about phone i hit sys update and it say your system is currently up to date.
firmware version: 2.0
build number: esd20

so in recovery unless i had sprecovery i should see no txt at all just the pic?

SPRecovery will look like the screenshot at the bottom of the first post in the thread that that 3rd link in my signature links to. The stock one has the /!\ triangle. You'll see nothing about backups and restores either.

You may have to wait for the update and it is possible that Motorola has turned off updates due to the upcoming 2.2 OTA. The OTA works in that it checks to see if an update exists and if so does so. If Motorola has turned them off your phone is going to think its up to date.

You can always flash the sbf for SPRecovery and then apply one of your backups again if you want, but from what I hear it will be at least until the 6th before we see an official 2.2 OTA update.

OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
ok well the recovery part makes me feel better. so at this moment then its prob a good possibility that ota updates are disabled. now can i do a manual update into a stock 2.1 update 1 or is that a no and if so can you possibly throw me in the right direction

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok well the recovery part makes me feel better. so at this moment then its prob a good possibility that ota updates are disabled. now can i do a manual update into a stock 2.1 update 1 or is that a no and if so can you possibly throw me in the right direction

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

Take the above file and rename it to update.zip on the root of your sdcard

If you do not see the "zip" part of the filename on your computer then just name the file "update"

Do the x-reboot so you see the /!\ screen.

select apply sdcard update.zip

When it says it is done select reboot now.

Post back, let us know how you made out and good luck.

edit: I also just moved this thread into the RS hacking help section of the forum.

Last edited:
OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
ok when i get the txt lines to come up in recovery the firs line say E:Cant open /cache/recovery/command

then when i try to update with the update.zip i get this

assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prob". "ro.build.fingerprint")=="verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.0.1/esd56/20996:user/release-keys"/ ll file_getprop", ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/vols/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ese81/29593:user/release-keys"
E:error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted

lol ok now what did i do wrong or need to do to make this work.
just to reiterate i stocked it with this file
VZW_A855_ESD20_QSC6085BP_C_01.3B.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf

not this one

VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok when i get the txt lines to come up in recovery the firs line say E:Cant open /cache/recovery/command

then when i try to update with the update.zip i get this

assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prob". "ro.build.fingerprint")=="verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.0.1/esd56/20996:user/release-keys"/ ll file_getprop", ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/vols/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ese81/29593:user/release-keys"
E:error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted

lol ok now what did i do wrong or need to do to make this work.
just to reiterate i stocked it with this file
VZW_A855_ESD20_QSC6085BP_C_01.3B.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf

not this one

VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf

The previous post I made had you head out to grab the ESD56 file, (signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip) which is a zip file not some sbf file.

OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
ok so should i re stock to the ese56.spf file then do the update with the one you sent me to get?

sorry esd56.sbf

OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
i did go dl the file i was just letting you know what i had used to originally stock my phone thats all. when i got the .zip file and put it on the root as update.zip i got that msg

tCub

Reaction score
I've encountered a similar albiet more terrifying experience this weekend. In the process of unrooting, I 'broke' my DROID. VZW is sending me a replacement but of course I fixed it just after the thing shipped.. Now I have to deny a signature on the shipment and keep my original DROID.

Anyway.. onto our issue.

I used RSDLite to restore my DROID back to good stock health. I flashed 2.0 onto it and noticed I couldn't get the OTA updates to bring me up to 2.1.

I decided to manually update myself.

You're on 2.0 so find a 2.0.1 file. Manually update to that. Then rinse and repeat for 2.1. After that you'll be up to date.

How I did it. As other have mentioned, grab the official, untainted OS image and rename it update.zip. Place this on your SD Card.

Power down the phone and while holding 'X' press the power button. You'll see nothing but an "!" mark in a triangle. NOW, press the 'Volume Up' key and the camera button simultaneously. Use your D-Pad to select the install update.zip option. Press the gold center button to select.

That's how you install the updates up to 2.1-update1.

This is were I'm at, this is were you'd like to be.

Now as for the lack of OTA updates, I've got a few theories.

1. Google and/or Motorola and/or VZW only hold current firmware versions on their OTA Update servers. Since 2.2 is coming they may have removed anything prior to that to host the 2.2 file.

2. Since the release is coming next week, they may be preforming maintenance or have taken the server offline to prepare for next week.

What we can do.. Wait until next week. If we get the update, we get it. I don't see why we wouldn't.

If we don't, we can always snatch the official manual update when it's link is posted.

OP
ApexOfLight

ApexOfLight

Reaction score
I've encountered a similar albiet more terrifying experience this weekend. In the process of unrooting, I 'broke' my DROID. VZW is sending me a replacement but of course I fixed it just after the thing shipped.. Now I have to deny a signature on the shipment and keep my original DROID.

Anyway.. onto our issue.

I used RSDLite to restore my DROID back to good stock health. I flashed 2.0 onto it and noticed I couldn't get the OTA updates to bring me up to 2.1.

I decided to manually update myself.

You're on 2.0 so find a 2.0.1 file. Manually update to that. Then rinse and repeat for 2.1. After that you'll be up to date.

How I did it. As other have mentioned, grab the official, untainted OS image and rename it update.zip. Place this on your SD Card.

Power down the phone and while holding 'X' press the power button. You'll see nothing but an "!" mark in a triangle. NOW, press the 'Volume Up' key and the camera button simultaneously. Use your D-Pad to select the install update.zip option. Press the gold center button to select.

That's how you install the updates up to 2.1-update1.

This is were I'm at, this is were you'd like to be.

Now as for the lack of OTA updates, I've got a few theories.

1. Google and/or Motorola and/or VZW only hold current firmware versions on their OTA Update servers. Since 2.2 is coming they may have removed anything prior to that to host the 2.2 file.

2. Since the release is coming next week, they may be preforming maintenance or have taken the server offline to prepare for next week.

What we can do.. Wait until next week. If we get the update, we get it. I don't see why we wouldn't.

If we don't, we can always snatch the official manual update when it's link is posted.

ok trying this will let you know how we come out