What's a good free image hosting site that plays well w/Droid?

Jer

Reaction score
I used to host all my images on a sever my buddy runs and he's taking it offline so I need to find a free site that hosts images that's reliable. I haven't really needed this service since I've had it taken care of from day 1 pretty much so I am not up to speed on what's out there. The reason I'm asking here is because I would also like to use a Droid friendly site for this purpose. Any apps or anything that could coincide with this for uploads and account management? I need for it to be able to be password protected so people can't truncate my url and browse all my photos and I need to be able to set up different folders and subfolders with a decent UI. I would also like something that allows me to upload to larger photos and then it gives more a more manageable resize option to link to as well. For instance 1024 is the width of all the thumbnails but if I click it again it gives me the full size (which may be 2-3x larger) image and I'm able to link to both of them. I also need something that allows for some adult rated content as sometimes I may post up photoshops or jokes or other items that would exceed a Rated G lable and don't want to get it all set up only to delete it if I upload something that's not considered family friendly.

So, what's out there that fits this bill? Droid app isn't a deal breaker for me but if there's a free app that works it's certainly a bonus.

Thanks for the help.

deputc26

Reaction score
Uh picasa would be the obvious answer (not sure if you want something else). :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
^+1, Picasa, it's more or less built into the OS (can share straight from the gallery viewer and post directly from the camera).

If there is something particular you're looking for be sure to explain so people have a better idea of what you're wanting.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I think Picasa might be what I was looking for for the best integration with the Droid. The question I have is if I install this on my PC will it attempt to scan my entire HDD to make them all available online or can I pick and choose individually what I want hosted online and which ones I want to be made public and which ones are password protected but I can still link to them? I read some horror stories about Picasa basically scanning your HDD and posting ALL of your images online or making them available but I don't know how accurate that is.... sounds far fetched to me but I want to make sure before I click I Agree I'm not signing up for some sort of privacy issue I want nothing to do with.

As I've stated, I have had hosting from a buddy for long enough that I know relatively nothing about this other than what I had.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think Picasa might be what I was looking for for the best integration with the Droid. The question I have is if I install this on my PC will it attempt to scan my entire HDD to make them all available online or can I pick and choose individually what I want hosted online and which ones I want to be made public and which ones are password protected but I can still link to them? I read some horror stories about Picasa basically scanning your HDD and posting ALL of your images online or making them available but I don't know how accurate that is.... sounds far fetched to me but I want to make sure before I click I Agree I'm not signing up for some sort of privacy issue I want nothing to do with.

As I've stated, I have had hosting from a buddy for long enough that I know relatively nothing about this other than what I had.

Well, I've only recently started using Picasa, but I didn't install the program. I simply upload from my Droid, then go to picasa.com and click on web albums. I'm usually logged into Gmail already, but you may have to log into your google account. From there, you can link and set permissions and etc...

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I will likely be uploading from my PC more than my Droid so I will need to use whatever is needed to do that. Do I need to install a program to accomplish this from my PC or can I simply log into an account or FTP files to/from the server?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I will likely be uploading from my PC more than my Droid so I will need to use whatever is needed to do that. Do I need to install a program to accomplish this from my PC or can I simply log into an account or FTP files to/from the server?

Oh man...My bad. Forgot to mention that. You can also upload pics from your computer. I actually JUST did that for the first time. With the free service, you get 1 GB of space. Just found that out as well.

Upgrades are as follows:

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

Oh man...My bad. Forgot to mention that. You can also upload pics from your computer. I actually JUST did that for the first time. With the free service, you get 1 GB of space. Just found that out as well.

Upgrades are as follows:

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

Ewe... 1gb for free is pretty low. Not sure this will work for me then and I don't want to pay for storage unless I absolutely have to.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Understandable. I don't have much need for hosting a LOT of pics online at this point in time.

When you think about it though, 20 GB for $5 a year means less than $0.50 a month...And a fraction more than a penny a day...

Not sure how much you need, but if I needed a large chunk of space, I'd be willing to pay that just because it's already so well integrated right into the phone...

Photobucket is nice, but only gives 500 MB for free, but is unlimited if you go pro for "Upgrade for as little as $1.67/month"

Source: Upgrade - Upgrade Photobucket

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Understandable. I don't have much need for hosting a LOT of pics online at this point in time.

When you think about it though, 20 GB for $5 a year means less than $0.50 a month...And a fraction more than a penny a day...

Not sure how much you need, but if I needed a large chunk of space, I'd be willing to pay that just because it's already so well integrated right into the phone...

Photobucket is nice, but only gives 500 MB for free, but is unlimited if you go pro for "Upgrade for as little as $1.67/month"

Source: Upgrade - Upgrade Photobucket

It doesn't rule it out entirely but is certainly a con and if I made due with the previous online hosting I had all these years I can live w/o the Picasa part on the Droid too. If it works then cool and maybe I'll just use it for stuff from my Droid and set up another account for the remainder. Not sure yet. Still leery about installing any Picasa program on my computer until I know it's not a resource hog and won't scan my HDD w/o me prompting it. I really prefer a log in and password so that I can manually upload or even FTP files that I want hosted. I don't like the idea of programs that can scan my HDD to use my info as it sees fit.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
How do I get the image address so I can post an image to a forum using the driod and picasa?