What is wrong with verizon techs?

diordroid

Reaction score
I went in today because I have a dead pixel on my screen. The tech lady swore that there was no dead pixel and that she couldn't see it. I pointed to it and she said nope. (Mind you, she wears glasses) I told her not only was that the problem, my phone is super laggy.

(by the way i've tried all the advice on the forum and my phone is not rooted)

The dead pixel really bothers me and she said..

"Wellllllllll, you can pay $80 deductible and you can get a refurbished one but you wont have a phone for a day."

"Your already over your 30 days so I can't do anything about your dead pixel that I can't see."

I was so mad about her attitude and her lack of help. I couldn't stay any longer and left.

It just doesn't sound right... I also have insurance covered on my phone and warranties should last up to a year!

Can someone give me any advice? or confirm that I can't get a brand new phone? I don't want to pay $80 deductible for a ****in refurbished phone! My brand new phone shouldn't have come with a dead pixel on the screen and that's all of a sudden my fault and I have to pay for it when I'm already paying for insurance every month? Geeze.

TheMayor

Reaction score
I have always had better luck with calling verizon support. I hate dealing with those people who think they know everything in person. Call verizons 1 800 number, find it on their website under contact support or something. Since it is past the 30 days you will have to pay for a replacement but if you have insurance I think its $50. They will send a phone in the mail, including 16 gig sd card. All you have to do is replace your phone in the box they sent the replacement in. Keep the extra sd card. So far I have gotten 3 16 gig sd cards.

Droids

Reaction score
Pretty sure there is at least one dead pixel checking app on the market. I used it when I first got the Droid to check it out, same as I do when buying a new LCD monitor. And I'm pretty sure this falls under the one year manufacturer's warranty, you shouldn't need to use your insurance. I would get the app and then go to a different store, you'll likely get a different response. But that doesn't mean you'll get a brand new phone if you're outside the 30 day period.

OP
D

diordroid

Reaction score
oh man thanks guys! I hate dealing with these rude retards. HOW did they get that job?! it's so frustrating.

Themayor, hahaha wow thats sweet 3 sd cards! Im excited for you! I'm gonna have to try that

Droids, thanks for the info! I'll look for that app. I'm in Pasadena, Ca and the one i went to is the only store they have in that area or else i'm gonna have to drive far and waste my gas :(

Replacement phones aren't bad right? they're pretty much brand new phones?

I've just seen a lot of my friends with tmobile getting replacement phones and getting even bigger problems with it and i'm scared that will happen to me.

OP
D

diordroid

Reaction score
droid - i did a quick search, found the app and downloaded it. I sure do have a dead pixel and it shows with the black background. THANKS!

Droids

Reaction score
There is a difference between a stuck pixel and a dead pixel and in some case witha LCD moniotr you couls unstick the pixel, I doubt that can be done on a Droid, so don't even bring that up. Just state it's a dead pixel and should be replaced under the manufacturer's warranty. ( I could swear I even read that somewhere, that dead pixels are covered under Moto's warranty, but don't have a link).

Refurb phones are 50/50, some are perfect like new and others have issues that didn't get fixed when returned. If you get a refurb that isn't "like new" then just call and politely complain that it isn't acceptable and you'll get another.

You'll likely have a good outcome to this, Let us know.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with verizon techs?
Every carrier has bad reps (and good reps). It's nothing unique to Verizon.

or confirm that I can't get a brand new phone?
Again, not unique to Verizon. On any carrier you're getting a refurb if you're past 30 days. The only exception would be on brand new devices where refurbs aren't available yet.

Replacement phones aren't bad right? they're pretty much brand new phones?
Depends on the specific replacement. Some are good, some are not.

Last edited:

Fox100

Reaction score
theres 4 verizon stores close to me 2 at the same mall so when i need a replacement and they dont want to give me one i just try the next store ussually with a different excuse

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
In most cases, a solitary dead/stuck pixel is not cause for warranty replacement, most manufacturers have a certain number that must be present in order for the device/screen to be replaced.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
How long you have had the Droid should not matter unless you are close to a year. None of us are close yet since the Droid was not released until Nov 6, 2009. Therefore, your Droid is covered under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I would call Verizon's customer service, get to tech support and they will send you a "like new" replacement. Yes it is a refurbished phone and there is a 50/50 chance you may have problems with it but they will replace it if necessary. If you choose to use your insurance the deductible for "advanced" phones ie Droids is $89.00. I believe they try to send you a new one and if they do not have any then they send you a refurb.

Hope this helps you.

o0HERO0o

Reaction score
Why should it matter if its past the 30 days? There is still the 1 year warranty
I am a VZW employee and the 30 days is for a policy in place called 30 day DOA - if your phone has any manufacturer issue within that 30 days it is considered DOA and they replace it with a brand new one. In the case of it being past the 30 days VZW will swap it with a phone sent to us by the manufacturer to cover the one year warranty.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you were within the first 30 days you'd have been eligible for a brand new device. After 30 days they can give you a refurbished phone if it is deemed a warranty issue. I don't know if you were in a corporate store or not, but take it from me, you are much better off calling 800-922-0204 (same as *611) and they might ask you to do some really weird things to troubleshoot the phone, but even still, you will more than likely get a Certified Like New phone out of it. It will not cost you a penny either.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you were within the first 30 days you'd have been eligible for a brand new device. After 30 days they can give you a refurbished phone if it is deemed a warranty issue. I don't know if you were in a corporate store or not, but take it from me, you are much better off calling 800-922-0204 (same as *611) and they might ask you to do some really weird things to troubleshoot the phone, but even still, you will more than likely get a Certified Like New phone out of it. It will not cost you a penny either.

Vulcan is correct. Don't deal with them in person, do it by phone.

OP
D

diordroid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys. So silly me tried to go back to the store ONE more time because I was around the area. This time I told them about my faulty camera flash. I don't know if many of you had these problems but recently my camera has been acting up. when I take a picture with flash, half of it is black and grainy. For example, it's like I had my finger covering half of the flash but in actuality, my finger was no where near the camera or flash part. I explained this to them and even showed them pictures. They take it to the tech, theyre taking pictures and obviously seeing the horrid quality of the picture AND half of the picture not even showing up and they tell me it's because the flash is so bright, its reflecting off whatever i'm taking a picture of. OKAY REALLY?!?! This recently started and your telling me this is normal?!?! So, I tell them that they really need to step up on their customer service and that I'll just call the 1800 number.

guess what in 2 days i received my replacement phone. I should have just called the friggin number in the first place instead of dealing with these arseholes. :icon_evil:

sadly, the phone didnt come with an sd card like the guy in the first reply said. but WHEEEE a like-new replacement, AND they reported the people who gave me a hard time. the manager is supposed to call me soon. I hope they hear a mouthful and possibly fire them.