What is data throttling?

B

budmonster

Does VZW actually do this? I saw on XDA that there is hack to remove this from phones? Anyone actually try this? What is data throttling actually?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Verizon will slow your data to a crawl if you use to much. Simple definition. However, they only throttle the top 2% of users and that is only when the area is being sent with lots of requests. It also only happens on 3g, 4g is not throttled at all. It's really not something I'd worry about. It's mainly to crack down on the people who illegally tether waaaaay too much! :biggrin:

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, the top 2% probably uses in excess of 50GB a month, IF not more. So unless you use that much, you need not worry about the throttle. It will stay dormant on your device and will in no affect your speeds. Any "noticeable" throttle you may think you're experience is simply network issues (congestion maybe) or maybe the phone (reboot).

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, the top 2% probably uses in excess of 50GB a month, IF not more. So unless you use that much, you need not worry about the throttle. It will stay dormant on your device and will in no affect your speeds. Any "noticeable" throttle you may think you're experience is simply network issues (congestion maybe) or maybe the phone (reboot).

Did they revoke the plan from a couple months ago where people on 3G Unlimited plans were going to start getting throttled if they went over 2GB and were in a "congested cell"?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they revoke the plan from a couple months ago where people on 3G Unlimited plans were going to start getting throttled if they went over 2GB and were in a "congested cell"?

I believe that plan called for over 5GB and was a different type of throttling on the network side if a site is congested. But 3G is so slow anyways (compared to 4G at least lol) I don't think you would really notice.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually it was 2GB, and if you got throttled, you would be throttled the rest of the month and the following month. There was a rather large, spirited debate on that one. hehe

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's basically two types from what I understand... Actual throttling... Is done on the phone.. That hack removes it.. And I believe it's set at 5gb... But because if the dev community getting rid of it.. I don't think they use that any more...
The second kind they refer to it as network optimization... That's done at the tower.. So no easy to get around that.. If I remember right... That happens if you go over two gb in the past two months... Then at times of high congestion... Your speeds will be speed on that tower.. Until you switch to a tower worn less stress or usage on that tower drops...
To reiterate... This is just how I understand it... I believe it's right... But I could be mistaken somewhere

We have nothing to fear but running out if beer