What I would like to see

sal33n

Reaction score
My girlfriend is a die-hard crackberry fan. She is intrigued though by my Droid and the Evo (She is on Sprint) except the main complaint she has is regarding the keyboard design on the Droid1/Droid2 or lack thereof on the Droid X and Evo. I had read people saying that on-screen keyboards are the way of the future and this and that, but people like myself and my girlfriend still love hardware keyboards and the ability to one hand type and feel out the keys. She is waiting for the Blackberry Torch to come out on Sprint and has played with it and loves it. I am not a fan of the Blackberry but looking at the design of the torch (screen size, keyboard size and placement) I think that if someone came out with an Android device with similar design aspects of something like the Torch that it would draw a lot more people over to an Android device especially Blackberry users. I hate the keyboard on my Droid and would really prefer one in portrait mode at the bottom of the phone rather than landscape which requires two hands to hold. I would give up having a bigger screen for these hardware changes as this is my phone and not my television. Any thoughts?

Codiusprie

Reaction score
My girlfriend is a die-hard crackberry fan. She is intrigued though by my Droid and the Evo (She is on Sprint) except the main complaint she has is regarding the keyboard design on the Droid1/Droid2 or lack thereof on the Droid X and Evo. I had read people saying that on-screen keyboards are the way of the future and this and that, but people like myself and my girlfriend still love hardware keyboards and the ability to one hand type and feel out the keys. She is waiting for the Blackberry Torch to come out on Sprint and has played with it and loves it. I am not a fan of the Blackberry but looking at the design of the torch (screen size, keyboard size and placement) I think that if someone came out with an Android device with similar design aspects of something like the Torch that it would draw a lot more people over to an Android device especially Blackberry users. I hate the keyboard on my Droid and would really prefer one in portrait mode at the bottom of the phone rather than landscape which requires two hands to hold. I would give up having a bigger screen for these hardware changes as this is my phone and not my television. Any thoughts?

She should check out the epic, it has a landscape keyboard but is also pretty much a better phone in all respects compared to the Torch. Also the Torch is pretty outdated already according to the reviews, seems to be a pretty mediocre phone overall.

Edit: Also I am pretty sure there is an Android phone that has been released or is going to be released that has the form factor of a traditional blackberry (screen on top portrait keyboard below). I cannot remember what it is called though.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You probably won't see a top of the line Android phone with a vertical physical keyboard.
It sacrifices screen size. There are, and most likely will continue to be, Android phones with a vertical keyboard, but they are lower end models.