What I Have Done With a Rooted Droid That I Couldn't Do Before

Fraxinus

Reaction score
LEAP encryption

Another useful thing you can do with root:

manually modify the /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file to include a wireless network that uses Enterprise 802.1X with LEAP encryption. Android supports LEAP, but it's not implemented in the UI, so this is the only way to add a network. Add this code:

network={
ssid="your_ssid"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
auth_alg=OPEN SHARED LEAP
eap=LEAP
identity="your_username"
password="your_password"
}

I got this from here: Android: Connect to an enterprise LAN via LEAP/802.1X. but there are plenty of places with instructions if you google around for "LEAP Android"

c_mack9

Reaction score
i thought one of the big benefeits was being able to disable the ads while web browsing. mine still show up, how can i disable them?

MapleSh0sh0

Reaction score
I also got the terminal emulator, but it always force closes.

In fact, I'm a little unsure if I am actually rooted at all. I followed the instructions without error, but - How will I know?

Hey, and you can tell if your rooted my going into your Application Drawer, and look for the "app" that says Superuser Permissions. That means your rooted right there! :)

travelingfool

Reaction score
So, once the Droid 2 gets rooted, will there really be any benefits from doing so? I mean, 1 GHz is fast enough for me, and it already does wifi hotspot, pinch to zoom, etc.

r314bd

Reaction score
Things I love about being rooted:

-ads are blocked
-wireless tether
-1GHz overclocking
-nandroid backups
-system app installation (i.e. Mobile Defense/WaveSecure can't be uninstalled if your phone is lost/stolen)
-can use 2.1 car dock app on 2.2

romeov

Reaction score
So, once the Droid 2 gets rooted, will there really be any benefits from doing so? I mean, 1 GHz is fast enough for me, and it already does wifi hotspot, pinch to zoom, etc.

Remember that what you think is "good enough" now, will always be supplemented by future advances we haven't thought of or thought we needed yet. 1Ghz may indeed be all you need right now, but in a few years even some of the smallest apps will have trouble at running that slow of a speed. As for sooner, there will be new, power hungry apps you may really want to run, but can't without overclocking to 2ghz for example, and there are sure to be new features you haven't even thought of yet that will be discovered and require rooting to use.

There is always more

Se7enLC

Reaction score
There is always more

It's like a sickness. An addiction. At first I rooted for new features and to change the things I didn't like. But now the OTA release HAS almost all of the features I rooted to get. But I still want MORE. Get out while you still can - the longer you stay rooted, the more you need to get the same high. Pretty soon you'll be on a street corner turning tricks in exchange for the latest rom leak.

travelingfool

Reaction score

Remember that what you think is "good enough" now, will always be supplemented by future advances we haven't thought of or thought we needed yet. 1Ghz may indeed be all you need right now, but in a few years even some of the smallest apps will have trouble at running that slow of a speed. As for sooner, there will be new, power hungry apps you may really want to run, but can't without overclocking to 2ghz for example, and there are sure to be new features you haven't even thought of yet that will be discovered and require rooting to use.

There is always more

There is always more

It's like a sickness. An addiction. At first I rooted for new features and to change the things I didn't like. But now the OTA release HAS almost all of the features I rooted to get. But I still want MORE. Get out while you still can - the longer you stay rooted, the more you need to get the same high. Pretty soon you'll be on a street corner turning tricks in exchange for the latest rom leak.

Lol, I know exactly what you mean. This is my first Android device, and I've been a Blackberry fanatic for years. I was forever installing leaked OS's and hybrids. Good enough was never good enough, and I suspect it will be the same for me with Android. A good testimony to this is my 1500 plus post count over at CrackBerry under the same user name.

I've only had my Droid 2 for a couple of weeks, and although I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the OS, I'm still learning new things every day. All I can say is this platform rocks! I can't believe I held out this long.

Dilligaf

Reaction score

-system app installation (i.e. Mobile Defense/WaveSecure can't be uninstalled if your phone is lost/stolen)

I'm running rooted 2.2 and have the Mobile Defense and Lookout apps installed. Which files do I need to change permissions on to prevent these from being removed from the phone?

Thanks!

r314bd

Reaction score

I'm running rooted 2.2 and have the Mobile Defense and Lookout apps installed. Which files do I need to change permissions on to prevent these from being removed from the phone?

Thanks!

Here are the instructions on how to install it as a system app: Installing Mobile Defense as a system application [OFFICIAL] (Page 1) - Tutorials - Mobile Defense