What happened to the site?

esmier

Reaction score
Hey guys what happened to the droidmod site? i have read bits of someone releasing an early updater on the market for $20 but nothing else. whats going on?

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
That updater is still in beta it was released in there IRC Channel it was not ready & was not suppose to be released as it has been reported to do damage to the SD card ...

When ever they get project durden released is when I would expect to see the official release of the New & improved DMU Updater

OP
E

esmier

Reaction score
ah but the website and the IRC are both down. In the past when the site was down i could always log into the IRC. i guess they are just trying to fix up everything

OP
E

esmier

Reaction score
yah i know, i was hoping Camel or someone would post something saying that they are working on a new site or anything at least

serveitup911

Reaction score
Maybe the easyroot guys stealing DroidMod's source & profiting from it was the last straw.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Maybe the easyroot guys stealing DroidMod's source & profiting from it was the last straw.

That may be but I seriously doubt anyone could make any money on something they "stole" when the guys who created it don't charge for it at all... so long as it's actually available of course.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, I don't know what's going on with their site right now but stay tuned. That's all I can say for now. I don't think Droidmod is disappearing.

lhwilson

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I went w/Sholes/DroidMod way back when. Went there...stayed there...never changed because it worked pretty well. Now, I'm 2 versions of Android behind and I can't do anything about it. DMUpdater is bonked unusable because it says there's an update - that doesn't exist - and then it quits out. I used DroidMod because it was simple and I didn't want to mess with the craploads of ROMs out there. Now I feel abandoned. Can't get 2.2 because I don't have 2.1. It's miserable.

OP
E

esmier

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I went w/Sholes/DroidMod way back when. Went there...stayed there...never changed because it worked pretty well. Now, I'm 2 versions of Android behind and I can't do anything about it. DMUpdater is bonked unusable because it says there's an update - that doesn't exist - and then it quits out. I used DroidMod because it was simple and I didn't want to mess with the craploads of ROMs out there. Now I feel abandoned. Can't get 2.2 because I don't have 2.1. It's miserable.

Yah i know how you feel. When they were originally planning durden i posted something on the forums about how it would be smart if they scrapped releasing it as 2.1 because by the time they get anywhere on durden at 2.1, 2.2 official would be out for a while, and everyone criticized me for it. Now look what happened, i almost was out except for Motorola pulling the update, now its promised to be out on the 18th. I just wish they would at least put up the home page saying "New updates coming" and nothing else. I feel abandoned as a droidmod user

jev

Reaction score
Droidmod was great when it came out, but they've been out of the loop for too long IMO. Unless they come out with something extraordinary soon, they will remain irrelevant. I hope that's not the case, but they need to at least inform the folks that are waiting on something concrete from them. For me, and I think a lot of other folks, it's way too late.

Reaction score
They have had issues like this in the past guys. Its a cheap (i.e. free) webhost that goes down periodically. Give them time and it will be back up. DM will be fine.

**and a note about their "relevance". DM still produces a lot of valuable stuff, they just haven't put a ROM out in some time. To the average user, their "relevance" may not be seen, but they actually continue to do a lot of work behind the scene while they get their source together. [mbm], Camel, sgx, trevorj, etc....they all are a wealth of information that other Dev's still go to with questions often enough. Point being don't count them out because you haven't seen a product.**

hollowbox

Reaction score
To the guys who feel left behind.....download one of the rooted stock 2.2 builds and put it on your phone while you wait. Frg22 and the official frg01b(?) Are easily found in rooted form on this site. Download it, place it on the root of your sd card and rename it update.zip.......power your phone off, hold the x button and power button and your phone will boot to sprecovery. Install, allow update.zip, install update.zip, reboot and your running 2.2. I got tired of waiting and did this as a tide me over till droid mod delivers or I decide on another rom. I am not a phone geek and have no clue basically........but if you want 2.2 and different kernels and themes or whatever it is really, surprisingly easy to do.

lhwilson

Reaction score
To the guys who feel left behind.....download one of the rooted stock 2.2 builds and put it on your phone while you wait. Frg22 and the official frg01b(?) Are easily found in rooted form on this site. Download it, place it on the root of your sd card and rename it update.zip.......power your phone off, hold the x button and power button and your phone will boot to sprecovery. Install, allow update.zip, install update.zip, reboot and your running 2.2. I got tired of waiting and did this as a tide me over till droid mod delivers or I decide on another rom. I am not a phone geek and have no clue basically........but if you want 2.2 and different kernels and themes or whatever it is really, surprisingly easy to do.

I was under the impression that I could not use these because I'm still sitting on DroidMod that's built on the 2.0.1 version. My reading (limited, grant you) on here made me believe I had to be at least at a 2.1 version of Android to use any rooted 2.2 versions. I was going to go back to stock w/DMUpdater, then let nature take its course w/the regular version updates. Help me if I'm mistaken. Thanks.

hollowbox

Reaction score
I was still running droidmod last week when the rooted frg22 came out and I had no problem putting it on my phone. There is a version of the official update rooted that is the full rom that would work for you too........so no you do not have to update to 2.1 to put one of the rooted stock 2.2's on your phone........just look for the one jrummy put out of the official update.....slap it on their and you will have the official update with root so you can overclock and theme or whatever.