what data needs to be backed up?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
If an Android app is purchased, does the data for that app need to be backed up or is it all auto synced with google?

For example, on my blackberry I have a memo app that I purchased, and I back up the data to my pc. What data, if any, needs to be backed up (to a pc) from a Droid X?

Thanks

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use Colornote. If I back up the app and not the data then I lose my memos.

Titanium Backup is the app I use for backing things up, but there are other ones too. This is a tool that requires a rooted phone though.

Some apps store their data on your card, so that data doesn't get lost.

Astro is a free tool that just backs up the installation files for all your apps. It saves time because you can reinstall all of them at once but you get fresh installs. Again, if the data is on your card then that reconnects again.

The DroidX isn't be rooted...yet. I'm not sure if there is an app that will let you save all your data along with your apps for that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
ok thanks. Just to make sure I am clear on this, 3rd party apps, like colornote, or a memo app, dont sync the data to google automatically, but the droid backup program does allow you to backup the app, and/or the data to a pc.

correct?

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
So from what I am reading, most Android users dont backup their phones the way that palm, blackberry, or windows mobile users do.

I understand that basic PIM data such as contacts and calendar is auto synced with google. But what about purchased apps, like a memo/todo app that lets you enter text on the phone? How are these apps (and the data) backed up on the Droid X, or do most users just not bother backing up?

From what I understand, Android does not even include a backup to pc application, but correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks.

xbenzerox

Reaction score
From what I understand, Android does not even include a backup to pc application, but correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks.

I'm confused about this too. I was in the habit of backing up my BB to make sure I didn't lose texts that I wanted to save, etc. Does this just not have to happen with the DX?