Welcome to the Motorola Smart Actions Developer Team Forums

epiphone74

Reaction score
Trigger:
Have smart action set up to trigger on wifi at work and home.

Actions:
brightness is auto
cellular data Disable
Screen timeout 30 sec
GPS off

I get message that CDMA is not enabled and want to go global..

Only happens when first into locations

Battery saver setup BTW .
What have I done wrong Just started yesterday doing this.. Driod Razr Stock no root ICS version SA 3.1.5.2.0

Thanks for your assistance:hail:

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I know I'm kinda jumping in late here but my phone just got smart actions. I'm on a bionic. So i was just wondering why i can't adjust the sensitivity of the location based triggers.
I have my wifi set to turn on when i come home. However if i move to a different part of the house smart actions turns my wifi off because I've moved away from the gps location. I should be able to set smart actions to activate within so many feet of a location trigger so that it covers my whole house.
Just a thought.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry folks, but it looks like we've lost the Motorola Expert since his last post late June. It's unfortunate but perhaps he'll come back.

For those with location issues and having trouble getting them to work...you must understand that the phone can NOT determine your geographical location for Smart Actions UNLESS the WIFI IS ON! It does NOT use GPS. That is a CRITICAL misunderstanding and although some say "flaw", I say it's just something you need to take into consideration when setting up your triggers. It was meant to use less power and thereby conserve battery, but it's counter-intuitive to many.

There is ONE SIMPLE solution for this. Download and install WIFI Auto ON (the VERIZON one, NOT the third party one). Once installed, set up locations in the WIFI Auto ON application which HAVE WIFI (such as home, office, school, etc.), so you can have it turn WIFI ON when you arrive. It will AUTOMATICALLY turn WIFI OFF when you leave those "known" WIFI locations. Next, set up locations where you want to use the "location" trigger to do something - and here's the kicker...EVEN IF there is NO WIFI at that location.

This tool uses the CELLULAR TOWERS to triangulate your location and thereby set the WIFI on or off, depending. Since it's a ROUGH geographical location approximation it has a larger radius, so if you're even on the same BLOCK as your home, and you have it set to turn WIFI On at the house, you'll still have WIFI ON, in fact, even when you're half-a-mile away or more. This will PREVENT the problems with WIFI signal loss causing all your triggers to fail. DO NOT use WIFI SIGNAL ACCESS as a LOCATION TRIGGER, use LOCATION as a LOCATION TRIGGER< and use Verizon's WIFI Auto ON tool to turn WIFI ON at those locations.

Using the example above of the guy who wants the movie theater to tell the phone to turn ringer off, but he's using the WIFI CONNECTION as the "location" trigger, it works fine as long as he's in the lobby where WIFI is ACTIVE and WITHIN RANGE, however the moment he goes into the theater, the WIFI signal is lost and the phone says, "OK, no WIFI connection, turn volume up". This can be fixed this way;

Set the theater as a known WIFI hotspot in Verizon's WIFI Auto ON application. Then use the "Location" as the trigger - NOT the WIFI active as the trigger, and use the theater as the Location. Now, when you pull into the parking lot, the Verizon WIFI Auto ON app will turn WIFI on in your phone, then the Smart Action that uses the Location trigger for the theater's geographic location to turn volume down will silence the phone, and it will remain silent until he's left the parking lot and is a way down the road toward home.

I have mine set up for home, office, and the hospital (where my father-in-law is currently being taken care of and where my wife was for a short stay as well). When home and at the office, I run on WIFI constantly so as to NOT use the 3G/4G radio for data. When at the hospital, I don't want the phone to ring loudly, but instead to ring very quietly. There IS WIFI at home and the office, but there is NOT WIFI available at the hospital. I simply tell the phone to turn on WIFI when I am at the hospital by using the Verizon WIFI Auto on tool, and then set the Geographical trigger of the hospital to turn on the Smart Action to lower the volume. It works perfectly.

epiphone74

Reaction score
Great post foxcat !!

Was wondering if you could post that in the Favorite Smart Actions thread.. I do not know how to cross post.. Great read on how to use location + wifi to get the desired results...

Semper Fi

From a former Pennsylvanian!!! dancedroid

Epiphone_74

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow, so you're a late nighter too! I'll take a look at the thread and see if it makes sense to cross-post.

Thanks! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For everyone who comes to this thread expecting to see activity and wanting advice, it seems the Smart Actions Motorola Expert is either indisposed or has moved on, given that his last post was in June. If this is incorrect, we will surely welcome that person back.

In the mean time, I will monitor this thread. I have a very strong working knowledge of Smart Actions, along with being a very good researcher, and so I will be happy to field all questions. If I am not replying immediately to your questions please feel free to send me a PM, just to let me know you've posted. I will receive an alert for the PM and will reply promptly.

Also many of the other top level members, Moderators and SuperModerators, as well as the Rescue Squad members are also able to assist with most of your concerns. There really isn't much of anything we can't help you through or explain so please lean on us for support. We'll be there for you.

FoxKat

bagpipeRob

Reaction score
Having a problem with setting up location based smart action rules. when i find my address whether it be for work or for home, it'll find the address but when i click on it, a prompt says "creating shortcut url". I click on proceed and another prompt pops up saying "unfortunately, smart actions has stopped". please help

epiphone74

Reaction score
bagpipeRob said:
Having a problem with setting up location based smart action rules. when i find my address whether it be for work or for home, it'll find the address but when i click on it, a prompt says "creating shortcut url". I click on proceed and another prompt pops up saying "unfortunately, smart actions has stopped". please help

Try using wifi for locations..home and work..sends to work better for sa..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Try using wifi for locations..home and work..sends to work better for sa..

epiphone74 is correct. Smart Actions (SA) requires WIFI to be ON, even when not anywhere near a WIFI connection, in order to accurately determine your location. It uses nearby WIFI hotspots (even those locked down with password protection, WPA, WEP, etc.), to "triangulate" or "approximate" your physical location. This means you have two choices for location-based SA, either keep WIFI on ALL THE TIME (not advisable unless you are in an area where WIFI is available all the time and you are using it in place of Cellular Data for internet connection), or you use the Verizon WIFI Auto-On tool to turn on WIFI based on your Cellular location. This way, you aren't wasting power on the WIFI radio, you don't need to keep GPS on and waste that power either, and since Cellular is always on (except under Airplane mode), you will still be able to get the precise location information you need in order for SA to work. Another benefit is, it will turn on WIFI when you are in a known active and available WIFI location, such as at your work where WIFI is provided, or at home if you have a WIFI equipped router.

You will set the Verizon WIFI Auto-On tool to recognize specific locations where you want WIFI turned on, either to actually USE WIFI, or if youwant SA to Trigger a location-specific Action. It doesn't matter if there is NO WIFI at those locations if you just want WIFI turned on so that SA will work in those spots. For instance, you go to the movies, so you set Verizon WIFI Auto On to turn on WIFI at the Movie Theater (even though this theater has NO WIFI), then you create a SA called "Theater", let it use the location of the theater as the Trigger, and have it turn off your ringer or set to vibrate as the Action.. Now every time you go to that theater, the Verizon WIFI Auto-On will turn on WIFI, then the SA "Theater" will turn your ringer to silent or vibrate. When you leave the theater, SA will turn the ringer back on, then Verizon WIFI Auto-On will turn OFF WIFI and you're golden!

I use it for both work and home, since both have WIFI (work because I installed the WIFI router behind the firewall in our network), and the only time WIFI is NOT on for me is when I am either not at work or not at home. I did have it set to recognize the Hospital my wife was in as a WIFI location, so I could have SA turn off the ringer while I visited the Hospital - so as to not disturb those around me. Since she is no longer at the Hospital, I've since removed that SA and that WIFI location.