Weird speaker pop

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
So I don't know if this noise was here all the time or it just started happening but on certain button presses there seems to be a speaker pop. I still haven't removed the plastic screen protector that comes with the phone and thinking that may be causing it. I'm waiting till I order a screen protector to remove it. Was curious to see if anyone else has heard the noise.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Your suspecting the factory screen protector (a temporary thin sheet of plastic), could very well be the cause. To be sure you could try pressing on the plastic where the speaker is as you make the screen selection, and if the problem was the plastic vibrating that would eliminate it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Luckily my wife found the culprit the touch sounds setting seems to have fixed it
uploadfromtaptalk1470029117085.png

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
A-hah!! So it was touch sounds. I should have known that but I've had mine turned off since I got my phone. I'm pleased that you've identified the problem.

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Yeah the touch sounds should be something totally different maybe a soft click but this was a pop.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah the touch sounds should be something totally different maybe a soft click but this was a pop.

The "pop" sound may be an actual "click" but could be getting distorted by the screen cover if it covers any part of the speaker. If it doesn't cover the speaker then the pop may be the speaker itself. Some of the speakers had an issue where they would "crackle" or pop while playing loud sounds. I believe it was due to being overdriven. It was supposedly resolved in future devices by modifying the firmware. They probably just reduced the maximum volume level to below the point of distortion, but it could have been an excessive voltage level in the audio output circuit.

Anyway, the crackle could be interpreted as a pop if the sound being reproduced was very short, like a click. The crackle would follow the loudest sounds in voices or music, and since those sounds are typically varying in intensity and lasting longer than just a fraction of a second they would sound like crackling.

You could test to see by lowering the media and/or notification volume, and then turning on the touch sounds again. If the sound comes out more like a click, then you may have a phone that has that problem. Another way to find out for sure is to turn the phone speaker volume all the way up, then have someone call you and tell them to speak loudly while you have them on speakerphone on the phone. If the sound distorts and "crackles", then I would contact Verizon and get the phone in for replacement.

JBomb88

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
248-880-8151
I find that my speaker does make a little "pop" noise whenever a noise starts to play - even if the phone is muted it seems. I can get it to trigger consistently if I pull down to refresh inside the Twitter app. Is anybody else finding this is the case on this phone?

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
I just tried it and I am getting the same click and then the pop noise from twitter. The sound also came back for me as in my previous post. I had turned off developer options thinking maybe it was somehow affecting it. Looks like I'm going to have to exchange my phone for another luckily I'm within the 15 day Best Buy exchange period. I wonder if it's only a certain batch that's doing it or all of them will have this issue.

Edit: just tried with the volume off and all I hear is the speaker pop

JBomb88

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
248-880-8151
I rebooted my phone and it seems to have gone away.
I read on the official moto forum someone seems to be having the same issue and reported the cause might be connecting to the Bluetooth in his car.
I will have to test this myself, as I do connect and use Bluetooth in my car daily.

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Just rebooted as well and the pop is gone tried before and after my Garmin Vivosmart HR connected. Will try the car during my lunch.

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
I had contacted Motorola support though Twitter and they had me boot into safe mode and see of the pop came up. I ran safe boot though lunch and connected to my Vivosmart and my car stereo and the pop didn't come back. I'm back on regular boot and so far the pop hasn't come back.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I had contacted Motorola support though Twitter and they had me boot into safe mode and see of the pop came up. I ran safe boot though lunch and connected to my Vivosmart and my car stereo and the pop didn't come back. I'm back on regular boot and so far the pop hasn't come back.

Well safe mode is really only good for troubleshooting but any effect you see different from safe mode will revert baby to what it was again upon regular boot. I if rebooting out of safe mode and into regular mode actually causes the problem to go away then it was a software glitch.

Let's see how it performs going forward.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Yeah figured safe boot wasn't going to really help once I booted into it and saw nothing else has permission to run. I have had the noise come back on several occasions I think I'm just going to take it back to best buy for an exchange this weekend and see what happens.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah figured safe boot wasn't going to really help once I booted into it and saw nothing else has permission to run. I have had the noise come back on several occasions I think I'm just going to take it back to best buy for an exchange this weekend and see what happens.

I'm in 100% agreement with that solution. You have insurance or warranty protection, and I suggest you exercise it with extreme discretion (i.e. don't take no for an answer).

OP
Ardeleon09

Ardeleon09

Reaction score
Well I took my phone back to Best Buy and got another one since I was within the return period. I tried recreating the noise for the employees but the phone wasn't doing it. Was surprised to hear that the first Best Buy I went to was sold out and the second one I went to only had three in stock.