Water Damage - Help! :)

tonyag9

Reaction score
Someone please help me if you can :) Yesterday, my Droid slipped out of my hands and into a half coke-filled cup in my cup-holder in the car!!! ACK!!! It is sitting in a baggie of rice right now, but since I was on my way to the hair salon I did everything wrong (turned it on repeatedly, plugged in car charger, etc) before I could look up what to do. As of earlier, it would turn on and the buttons were lit up and would vibrate when I touched them - though nothing else was responsive - black screen. I am addicted to it already and am at the moment extremely devastated!! :) Any ideas?!

P.S Both stickers (on the battery and back of phone) are white with red x's so at least it doesn't LOOK like water damage :) It only went in half way and for a split second. Think I should wait and see if it works or go ahead with insurance? Oh and I had a plastic cover on it at the time too.

Last edited:

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
The dumbest thing to do is turn a watered device ON, or power charge it,
Try taking out battery,putting it in a bowl with saw dust and putting it on a heater.
Do that for like 2days, then put battery back and power on.

If it works...lucky guy
if not....goood luck for returning your droid.

I feel sorry for you man

Tigger

OP
T

tonyag9

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger - though I am a girl lol I have it in a bag of rice right now with the battery out - don't think I have any sawdust :) Same idea right? Think that's okay? Yeah, I realize now how dumb it was and could kick myself lol I had the plastic cover on it and though it was okay at first. :( The stickers on the back didn't even change. Well is there a way to save my data at least with the sim card - I also stupidly hadn't backed anything up yet lol Programs are saved to the actual phone though aren't they :(

OP
T

tonyag9

Reaction score
Thanks! :) If not I can use my Asurion insurance though right? I am really sad being 24 hours without my phone already - I can't believe how much I hate being without that damn phone. Went to the movies - couldn't easily look them up. Had to wait to power up the laptop. Went for a long walk and couldn't get my mileage, pace, calories etc from my easy cardio trainer program. Man, I really love that damn phone and want it back!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone please say a quick save my Droid prayer ;) moment of silence...thank you lol

omnibus

Reaction score
Couldn't figure out why you stuck a smilie on your post title. Oh, well good luck.
You would have been better off dropping it in the toilet instead of that sticky coke.

coolkidd

Reaction score
Thanks! :) If not I can use my Asurion insurance though right? I am really sad being 24 hours without my phone already - I can't believe how much I hate being without that damn phone. Went to the movies - couldn't easily look them up. Had to wait to power up the laptop. Went for a long walk and couldn't get my mileage, pace, calories etc from my easy cardio trainer program. Man, I really love that damn phone and want it back!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone please say a quick save my Droid prayer ;) moment of silence...thank you lol

If you are going with Assurion route.... tell them you have misplaced it or lost it so that you do not have to return the old droid.... it is good for parts :icon_ banana:

Twoo

Reaction score
I did this when I had my blackberry years ago. Dropped it in soda.

I cleaned it as best as I could, then taped it to the cover of a floor fan for 8 hours (at work), then went home and stuck it in a bag of rice overnight. Turned it on the next day and it worked perfectly. Albeit it had a few pieces of rice in it I could never get out =p

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Hello Tonya. I have had dealings with "Asurion Insurance" in the past. Actually, my GF's cell was in her purse, Not a Droid, I called them from my Local VZW Store, Told them the truth, Her purse was sitting on the floor, with the phone in it. Someone dropped a bottle of water on it, KaPow, Dead Phone. They replaced with no problems.

Another time, Same GF, Been with her a long time now, Her brand New LG Chocolate phone, in her front pocket, leaned against a car a little to hard, smashola! Dead Phone, Cracked Screen. Replace no problem !! Asurion Insurance has always made good in my cases. Had a replacement phone in a few days. Not fond of the deductible, But it beat buying a new phone outright.

Let Us Know How It All Works Out for You !!!

medicTHREE

Reaction score

If you are going with Assurion route.... tell them you have misplaced it or lost it so that you do not have to return the old droid.... it is good for parts :icon_ banana:

This is insurance fraud and I do not recommend doing this. Please understand that manipulating the system is the reason YOU guys are all paying 6 or 7 bucks a month with an 89 dollar deductible, while I am still paying my grandfathered 5/50 plan.

Here is my guide I wrote for saving a blackberry from liquid damage. If you are afraid of alcohol, I still recommend desiccant and lots of time. More than a day for sure.

The dan

Reaction score
Ok here it is one morning i dropped my droid in the toilet it was in there for a split second b4 i grabbed it out i quickly removed the battery and card and stuck it in a bag of rice. So after about two days i took it out shook it to make sure all the water was out put back the battery and card and went to turn it on and all i got was a solid turquoise light with my home buttons lit up nothing else works. I am under my 30 days grace period but I dont know if i have the insurance and the water damage stickers are actvated what should i do?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ok here it is one morning i dropped my droid in the toilet it was in there for a split second b4 i grabbed it out i quickly removed the battery and card and stuck it in a bag of rice. So after about two days i took it out shook it to make sure all the water was out put back the battery and card and went to turn it on and all i got was a solid turquoise light with my home buttons lit up nothing else works. I am under my 30 days grace period but I dont know if i have the insurance and the water damage stickers are actvated what should i do?

How can you not know if you have Insurance.....It's an extra cost.

The dan

Reaction score
I'm in college and the phone was a xmas gift from my mother so i have no current way to find out.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm in college and the phone was a xmas gift from my mother so i have no current way to find out.

I would call and ask...Hope for the best...