watching a movie --- home lights stay on

Bildo818

Reaction score
I don't ever remember this with my other phone. Just swapped mine out because I was losing my calls yesterday. Turns out it was an app / task killer that was doing it. I thought my old phone the home lights would go off when I was watching a movie off my sd card. Now with this phone they seem to stay on.

Can anyone let me know if this happens to your or am I jsut going crazy.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you mean the four softkey lights, then yes they stay on when I play a video. I turned one on after reading your post and in fact it's still playing and they are staying on.

OP
B

Bildo818

Reaction score
thanks bayou...yeah the 4 soft key lights. So now I can say Im not the only one....now I need more posts to confirm to see if my old phone in fact did turn them off!! I wish I didn't bring my phone back, but I did and Im not about to call and aggrevate these guys asking for my old one back. I just want to confirm that this is the general consensus of the droid that these lights stay on for my own worries.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I read these forum thoroughly (no, i have no life!!) and it seems that most returned phones are really software problems. There's so much software available and it doesn't all play well together. Before I rooted, added a custom rom and overclocked, I found that I could not use Launcher 2.1 and Swype together. I use either one, but when I tried both at the same time, I would get force closes over and over. I finally got rid of Launcher 2.1 and kept Swype.

Reaction score
Root the Droid. Install the Softbuttons hack that is found in the market (direct link is http://bit.ly/5xIKTf). This will remove the backlight from those four soft buttons. Problem solved. :D

OP
B

Bildo818

Reaction score
Although I hack PSP's and flash the firmwares, I am kind of scared to root my phone. Although I pay for insurance on the phone, if it does happen to brick....will verizon replace the phone? I am intrigued about rooting....but I am trying to find a good amount of cool reasons to risk it. Ive been reading a thread on here talking about things people now do on their rooted phones...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Although I hack PSP's and flash the firmwares, I am kind of scared to root my phone. Although I pay for insurance on the phone, if it does happen to brick....will verizon replace the phone? I am intrigued about rooting....but I am trying to find a good amount of cool reasons to risk it. Ive been reading a thread on here talking about things people now do on their rooted phones...
I was concerned about it too. But following this tutorial http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html made it very easy. I followed this one to the end and then started ready such great things about the Bugless Beast rom that I updated to it by following the instructions on this page AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said *950MHz, 1.1GHz added* but I used the evilboot1g-nand.zip file instead of the 1.1 one that is noted in the nandroid recovery instructions. Easy pezy. For me the main reason to start all this was to overclock. it made the phone so fast and smooth. I think it is now the way it should have been when I bought it in November. I am not planning to update to 2.1 until it has been rooted and there are cool roms for it. I've got the phone now that I wanted all along. Bugless has no problems or quirks that I've found. It is truly bugless.

Reaction score

Bildo818,

I totally understand where you're coming from. For instance, I have overclocked computers for years, but I would NEVER overclock my Droid unless I knew it was 100% safe. Why? I've built computers for years, I work in the computer field, I've programmed for 10+ years, and I fix computers lol. I know that if you overclock you need to have an extremely good cooling system, and I'm not sure the Droid has that.

It took me literally 10 minutes to root the phone. Obviously, the first thing I did was this little hack for the soft buttons. If you wanted to, you could overclock it. There are a lot of programs that are root required...go to the Market and search for "Root".

Paul

EDIT: You can also get rid of those annoying apps like the Amazon MP3 one.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bildo818

Reaction score
What about the warranty though? Any insight to this? I love this phone but do find it bogged down every so often. If I were to have a problem, what would I be looking at in terms of bringing it back to verizon? Over clocking does seem fantastic. I just watched a video of someone over clocking their droid and it was flying .Really made it enticing to me. Although it looked like 2.1, it was what 2.0.1? The grid apps really stood out. I also noticed 5 home screens? That sounds nice! lol ---- these soft buttons on really does bother me so this would be the first thing to go. I am just worried about the warranty. After being unemployed for a while my fiance got this for me for my new job so I'd really never have to go on the internet on the company PC. So if I bricked the phone, I think my lady would be really ticked if we had to shell out more money on it.

But I can't get enough of tinkering with my electronics. Rooting would be a nice new hobby for me. Just kind of scared of the consequences of an "f-up". What is the max the droid can handle while being over clocked? with no cooling...it'd be nervous of hardware failure due to the heat.

Reaction score
What about the warranty though? Any insight to this? I love this phone but do find it bogged down every so often. If I were to have a problem, what would I be looking at in terms of bringing it back to verizon? Over clocking does seem fantastic. I just watched a video of someone over clocking their droid and it was flying .Really made it enticing to me. Although it looked like 2.1, it was what 2.0.1? The grid apps really stood out. I also noticed 5 home screens? That sounds nice! lol ---- these soft buttons on really does bother me so this would be the first thing to go. I am just worried about the warranty. After being unemployed for a while my fiance got this for me for my new job so I'd really never have to go on the internet on the company PC. So if I bricked the phone, I think my lady would be really ticked if we had to shell out more money on it.

But I can't get enough of tinkering with my electronics. Rooting would be a nice new hobby for me. Just kind of scared of the consequences of an "f-up". What is the max the droid can handle while being over clocked? with no cooling...it'd be nervous of hardware failure due to the heat.

I can tell you this. Android is an open source operating system, and the freedom to tinker with it is up to you. As to whether Verizon considers this a warranty voider, I don't know, but I would say that it would be extremely easy to "un-root" a phone...such a procedure can be found by searching Google.

To answer the OCing question, I don't really know. I have heard some have been stable with 1.1GHZ, but I really wouldn't recommend it. People brag that they have been running this for a week. Most people hope a phone will run for two years, but the chances of decreasing phone life are increased with overclocking. Motorola clocked it at 550 for a reason, rather that be battery life or phone health I don't know.

Paul