Was told I couldn't cancel my phone order

Marckus

Reaction score
Ok, I have the Droid Incredible on order, and I am supposed to recieve it on July 11th. After seeing the Droid X, I naturally want that instead. I called Verizon to cancel my order on the Incredible so I could order the X instead. The lady on the phone said she was unable to cancel a phone order once it was put in. I asked her to get a supervisor to override it or whatever they had to do to cancel it. She said that they tried and were unable to do so. WTF? So now I have to wait until they send it, then refuse delivery from the Fedex guy. Has anyone ever heard of this before? seems kinda weird to me. How can they not cancel an order someone doesn't want?

Reaction score
I have had verizon cancel orders on phones even after the shipped...

I couldnt get a refund until after they received the phone back and it took 1-2 days to process it...

But they cancel my tour order, and shipped out my droid on the same day....

Reaction score
If they won't cancel it call up your credit card company and tell them to put a hold on anything that comes from Verizon as it isn't authorized. It's not a custom order and it's not shipped, so I don't see how they legally hold you accountable.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go to Best Buy anyways...today and pre-order your DX, all it takes is $50.00, and they don't ask any questions or even look up your Account information untill you go to pick up the phone on drop day. Then when Fed Ex comes, refuse delivery or mabye even accept delivery and take it directly to Verizon, unopened (you might want to do some research on what would be better and faster in the MeanTime) then on the 15th go and pick up your shiny new DX and enjoy

Last edited:

dakoop

Reaction score
call back and get a different person on the phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Call and ask if they are a Corporate Call Center (seriously), if not tell them you need transferred to one. Tell them you want to cancel the order on the Incredible, and if they say they cannot, keep calm, and say that you would like to speak to their supervisor. Don't just accept that they can't do it. They can get you the other one.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Yes, not to worry, whoever you were dealing with was trying to give you the run around. They should have been able to cancel your order especially since it hasn't shipped yet. Since it hasn't shipped yet, then they probably haven't charge your debit/credit card, so you could still have that transaction suspended or any transactions just to be on the safe side.

Worse case scenario, you have 30 days from I believe the time your phone ships to activate it and as long as you haven't activated it, your 14 or 30 day grace period doesn't start. So basically just RTS it back to the shipper after talking with a rep once you receive it.

The Droid X is receiving such a big hype, that it does make the HTC Incredible look obsolete.

phoenix2700

Reaction score
As a VZW corporate employee I can tell you off the record of course ;) that we do have new policies in effect for handling these issues with the Droid Incredible. We are suppossed to be able to cancel the order, however our systems really were never setup to do this so sometimes it has some issues. If the order can't be cancelled I wouldn't recommend refusing delivery because you may have to wait for fedex to return the incredible to the warehouse before you can get another phone which could take days. Instead receive the package but don't open it and take it to a company owned Verizon store and return it. As long as the Incredible has never been used you can return it and the restock fee is waived. This restock fee waiver exception is only for the Incredible.

Hope this helps and I'm just as excited about this phone as you are I'm getting mine as soon as they come out.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's legitimate and they couldn't cancel the order. If it was like Vulcan said and they weren't a corporate call center maybe they did the best they could and don't know how to cancel the order.

It could be with the announcement of the Moto Droid X that they are overwhelmed by Incredible people wanting to switch. Could be Verizon is directly behind the "No cancel order" policy on this. Vulcan, I know you worked there in the past but things could change.

I'm just looking at this from another angle. I don't think the OP should just give up. Good luck, hope you get it resolved. I have a feeling there may be a lot more threads like this.

If anyone reads this and they have been successful, please let us know your experience.

mikes

Reaction score
If they won't cancel it call up your credit card company and tell them to put a hold on anything that comes from Verizon as it isn't authorized. It's not a custom order and it's not shipped, so I don't see how they legally hold you accountable.
Extremely bad advice. It was legitimately ordered and the charge was authorized, creating a binding contract. What you propose is fraud. Look up "breach of contract" and "theft by conversion." Not only that, but it is dishonest.

Verizon is under no obligation to allow people to cancel orders. But, they typically do allow it. They are under no obligation to accept returns, except that they have a 30 day return/exchange policy. They can charge $35 for an exchange for a different phone. But, I doubt they'll even do that in this case.

Verizon goes above and beyond what's legally (or ethically) required with regard to order cancellation, returns and exchanges, yet people still complain and want more. Sheesh.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Extremely bad advice

My thoughts exactly, I would never use my Credit Card Company as a scape goat for a wrong decision that I made. Especially when there is an easier solution. If you expect Verizon and your Credit Card Company to do right by you then you should project the same. Don't let Animal Instincts take over your need for a DX, get your DI bring it to Verizon and say No Thanks!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just go with Phoenix's advice.

If it already went out, take it unopened to a corp store and return, much faster, and no hassles since it is unopened.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Look, the answer is simple: Go into a store and explain you want to order an X, but only if you can cancel the Incredible order.

I don't think they work on commission, but reps at most stores will be more than happy to tack on one to their sales total.

This is just a completely asinine issue. They have a backlog. No reason they shouldn't be more than happy to cancel an order since it means someone else gets theirs a day earlier. You either got an incompetent or lazy rep.

Not a binding contract, per se, either. Unless you were promised a delivery date, in most cases you can cancel the order citing "failure to deliver".

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look, the answer is simple: Go into a store and explain you want to order an X, but only if you can cancel the Incredible order.

I don't think they work on commission, but reps at most stores will be more than happy to tack on one to their sales total.

This is just a completely asinine issue. They have a backlog. No reason they shouldn't be more than happy to cancel an order since it means someone else gets theirs a day earlier. You either got an incompetent or lazy rep.

Not a binding contract, per se, either. Unless you were promised a delivery date, in most cases you can cancel the order citing "failure to deliver".

Go to a store? You gotta be kidding me that would be the last place to go on something like this.

The entire thing should be handled as Vulcan stated in his post in the previous page. Not handled in person at a store. Do it over the phone directly with Verizon. At a store you don't know if you are dealing directly with Verizon and managers of different stores seem to make up their own sets of rules.

If the first call didn't work, try again. And again. It will work eventually.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Go to a store? You gotta be kidding me that would be the last place to go on something like this.

The entire thing should be handled as Vulcan stated in his post in the previous page. Not handled in person at a store. Do it over the phone directly with Verizon. At a store you don't know if you are dealing directly with Verizon and managers of different stores seem to make up their own sets of rules.

If the first call didn't work, try again. And again. It will work eventually.

Crazy talk....Go to a rep in the store and do exactly as I said and I guarantee it's a done deal. Don't care if they can do it or not (and without question they can), the receipt makes it so.