Warranty Replacement, Round 1!

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Alright, so, I have one of the D1's with the bumpy keyboard version. Apparently, it's fairly rare, given what I've seen out and about. Nonetheless, one of the keys is damaged and about to fall off, despite insanely attentive care to my device. It's never been dropped, mashed on, beat on, thrown, etc.

Anyways, I was very scared of the concept of giving up the phone I had, I get fairly attached to my electronics, and my Droid has really taken it's place as my top-used device. So I figured, I'd learn to type on the software keyboard, and just hold out, because I know I'm buying an LTE/Android 3.0/Dual 1GHz Core phone when Motorola releases one next year. ;)

But... I did read that thread about people sometimes getting Droid 2s instead of Droid 1s. And there was some things about Froyo that was really lagging, and I figured another phone might handle it better than mine, even if it was another Droid 1. So I decided to take the risk and order a warranty replacement. Today, it arrived.

Round 1 - Droid 1, Flat Keyboard Variant - Camera Lens Installed Improperly

I really was about to switch over to this one when I noticed the camera lens is at an odd angle out of the device, and provides a nasty lip there because it's installed wrong. I have no doubt a good jolt would pop the lens right out of the phone. So I'll be going back to Verizon likely later this week. I'm not sure if I have to do anything special if I'm returning the replacement model instead of my original, because I noticed on the receipt that they are tracking the IDs of the phones being replaced/shipped. And since I'm going to try another warranty replacement anyhow, I got to go to the Verizon store anyways.

I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum about the Certified Like-New D1s, so I figure this may turn out to be interesting, figured I'd document it here.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My first warranty replacement of my Droid ended up being a completely brand new one right out of the Motorola packaging. Then when I went rounds with VZW about my daughter's crappy Devour, they finally sent me a like-new Droid1 as the replacement, and it's worked fantastically for a few months now.

I'll be getting my second Droid replacement tomorrow and I already got an email about it being a like-new replacement, so I'll also add how that turns out in this thread as well...:)

insanely

Reaction score
droid replacement

My wife just got her like new replacement in the mail. No luck getting a d2

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you read horror stories because the majority of people who don't have issues don't write in to say their factory replacement works fine.

Please if it's a general issue do return it but don't try and find little tiny excuses in hopes of getting a D2. I really dislike it when people do that.

insanely

Reaction score
yeah i havn't tested the replacement because she's at work and i don't want to mess with it until she gets home. she was having issues with the screen freezing and the phone would vibrate constantly in the middle of the night for no reason, right off the desk! i'm pretty sure this new phone won't do that since its not a fairly common problem. i also called in for a replacement of my D1 today for my work phone since i get complaints of people telling me that my speaker phone has a lot of static since i'm always on speaker at work. really hoping i do get a D1 since i just started using pete's latest rom.

mr. vegas

Reaction score
My screen kept shutting off on its own( i am on my second droid) i called and told them what was going on and they shipped me out a new Droid X, was kinda diappointed because i am really use to being able to totally customise my Droid !, so i am on the flip side. You are trying to get a droid 2, and i am trying to get back a droid 1.

Number Six

Reaction score
Warranty replacement, round 4

Warranty replacement, round 4

The mike went out about two weeks ago,so I took it to the local Verizon Store. A tech confirmed it was not working and said he would send out a replacement via Fedex. I could continue to use my original with blue tooth head set. The replacement(certified new) arrived 2 days later as scheduled, I migrated to it but after a few hours, realized the sliding screen/keyboard was a lot looser than my original phone, which is 10 months old, also it did not open smoothly or as solidly as my original. It also rattled when you touched the screen and turned on in my pocket. I kept my original as a benchmark and returned replacement #1.

Rec'd replacement #2(cert new), It again had a bogus slider, it was loose and would twist if you tried to open it with one finger etc... I returned #2.

Rec'd #3 (cert new) today, again compared to my original the slider does not open smoothly, again twists and binds if you use one figure and is real stiff. I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are sending a 4th.

I asked about opinions and the rep was indifferent, telling me all they can do is send another replacement. I asked about a different model, say a used certified new droid x,there would be no key board issues. Rep said no, "we will send a new replacement or you can buy a new phone when you year upgrade come up in December." He didn't seem to care that my phone, without blue tooth can not be used as a phone. I will receive the 4th replacement Monday so hopefully I will be satisfied. I will post then.

anyone have any advise? Should I go back to the physical store if #4 is bogus? I'm starting to think I my original droid is an excellent build, an exception, so my problem is relative?

johntkong

Reaction score
I would take #4 to a corporate store if it comes with problems. Speak with a manager and refuse to leave until you have been satisfied. Usually, a big enough commotion will get you a working phone that you will be satisfied with.

You pay too much over two years to not be completely satisfied.

Number Six

Reaction score
good point. I forget about the amount I paid for this thing and that I'm locked in for 2 years and to migrate to a new phone I would have to buy the broken phone or a sub-par replacement for $350.00+.

Hopefully Monday's replacement will be fine and I can go on with my life. I will post then.

pnhst

Reaction score
Do everyone that works in VZW a favor and stop taking your "defective" phones into the store. The people that work there are not techs and aren't paid to be technicians. Its bad for you as a customer because you have to wait in the store for someone who is just going to hard reset your phone anyways. Learn how to troubleshoot yourself and if you truly are have a device with a defect then call customer service and they will ship one to you. Its not like you have to get your phonebook transfered.. It does it automatically.. Its not like you need to get them to activate it, it comes with easy instructions.

I recently got my droid replaced due to a legitimate hardware issue (the headset port broke, not poor me its running slow or anything like that) and my replacement was physically perfect however for some reason no matter how many times I factory reset and put the device into safe mode it force closed. Im an advanced android user so I know when things aren't working. I called tech support, they sent me a replacement overnight shipping with no hassle and now I have a perfect working droid again.

Everyone that complains about getting a refurb think about this. VZW doesnt warranty phones or repair them, they just give you a replacement as a courtesy for being on their service. If you don't want a refurb send the phone back to Motorola who will repair it.. and guess what.. after they repair it your phone is now refurbished. Think of any other electronic and their replacement policy (the same thing). Think about care warranties (the same thing). I love the fact that I don't have to deal with loaner phones or have to wait in lines to see a tech or anything.

My point is if you think your phones not working properly do a hard reset. If its still not working properly CALL VZW tech support and have them overnight a refurb. You'll be up and running quickly and never have to go out of your way or wait to be called for a sales rep to do a hard reset and/or activate your new phone for you.

Last edited:

johntkong

Reaction score
Yes, you read horror stories because the majority of people who don't have issues don't write in to say their factory replacement works fine.

Please if it's a general issue do return it but don't try and find little tiny excuses in hopes of getting a D2. I really dislike it when people do that.

I would rather get a Droid 1 replacement instead of the X or 2 should my Droid 1 crap out on me (knock on wood). I absolutely strongly dislike Motoblur. And the 2 just isn't as Spartan as the original. I prefer not only the stock Android but also the look and feel of the original Droid.

Number Six

Reaction score
My phone has a hardware problem, the microphone doesn't work. A factory reset did not remedy the situation.I figured Verizon would want to physically verify my problem before simply sending out a replacement, but apparently that is not the case; anyone can call in and get a replace. The employees at the back of the Verizon store claimed to be "techs" and were segregated from the sale staff?

My issues have been with the hardware and the physical operation of the sliding screen.

Not sure about Verizon doing it for courtesy reasons, as the phone is still under warranty and tied to a phone contract, of which I can't use because their phone doesn't work (I can only use it with a blue tooth, which I purchased). I suspect that if they can't provide a working phone, then the validity of the service contract may be compromised.

I just want a working phone in the same physical condition of my phone. I have taken care of it and should not be forced to accept a lessor condition phone because my original is defective. Again, if it wasn't tied to the contract and Verizon telling me that if I cancel the contract I owe them $350.00 for the phone, I might be more tolerant. How about I give them their phone back, they give me a prorated refund and zero out the contract so I can start fresh. I mentioned that to a rep and they ignored it. I like my phone and have zero issues with the service etc... just getting tired of making trips to Fedex and also the last rep I spoke to came off arrogant and unfriendly with no empathy, then again he is a tech support person so I should expect that.

I get replacement #4 tomorrow, post pending.

PS: not sure what motoblur is, by the little bit I have read about it, I suspect I don't want it or a phone that has it. I like my droid 1.

gaga

Reaction score
My phone has a hardware problem, the microphone doesn't work. A factory reset did not remedy the situation.I figured Verizon would want to physically verify my problem before simply sending out a replacement, but apparently that is not the case; anyone can call in and get a replace. The employees at the back of the Verizon store claimed to be "techs" and were segregated from the sale staff?

My issues have been with the hardware and the physical operation of the sliding screen.

Not sure about Verizon doing it for courtesy reasons, as the phone is still under warranty and tied to a phone contract, of which I can't use because their phone doesn't work (I can only use it with a blue tooth, which I purchased). I suspect that if they can't provide a working phone, then the validity of the service contract may be compromised.

I just want a working phone in the same physical condition of my phone. I have taken care of it and should not be forced to accept a lessor condition phone because my original is defective. Again, if it wasn't tied to the contract and Verizon telling me that if I cancel the contract I owe them $350.00 for the phone, I might be more tolerant. How about I give them their phone back, they give me a prorated refund and zero out the contract so I can start fresh. I mentioned that to a rep and they ignored it. I like my phone and have zero issues with the service etc... just getting tired of making trips to Fedex and also the last rep I spoke to came off arrogant and unfriendly with no empathy, then again he is a tech support person so I should expect that.

I get replacement #4 tomorrow, post pending.

PS: not sure what motoblur is, by the little bit I have read about it, I suspect I don't want it or a phone that has it. I like my droid 1.

If your fourth replacement is faulty, Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. They are usually more helpful and able to give you options.
If you explain that this is your fourth, they should offer you a different model.
I was on my fourth and when I called this last Friday I was offered a Devour at first, but I told them It would be a step down. The supervisor agreed and offered me a Droid incredible. I told her I really need the keyboard as I am a heavy texter and E-Mailer.
She told they are not able to send Droid 2's because of how new they are, but she told me she would try her best and talk to her manager and call me back.
She called me back about an hour later and told me the manager approved it and that she would overnight the droid 2 and brand new battery and back cover!
Some of the supervisors really do care, sometimes you just have to keep calling and do not take no for an answer!
I wish you the best of luck and hope your replacement you get tomorrow is brand new!

johntkong

Reaction score
I like the power of the Droid 2 but Motoblur is just not my cup of tea and as you cannot select the stock android as ui of choice I'm left with using my Droid 1 which I have no problem with.

NumberSix, Motoblur is the special ui moto has on the devour, backflip (on att) and a watered down version is on the Droids X and 2. It just takes away from the Android experience. Just my personal preference.

djspy

Reaction score
I recently called verizon because i've been having a lot of issues with my phone since the 2.2 update. They sent me a refurb Droid which i have to send back because the screen was really crooked when opened and there's a big bump on the case where the battery goes.

Anyway, the Droid I got was the one with the flat keryboard. Mine is the one with the raised keys. I specifically told the rep about this the first time i called (if i could get a replacement with the raced keyboard as the one i have now.) He told me "no problem. i know what you're talking about and will send a phone exactly like the one you have now.

I called back about the issues with 1st refurb and they sent me another refurb Droid to replace the damaged refurb. Again I mentioned the keyboard issue and again they assured me they would send me a phone that is exactly like mine/ Again they sent me a Droid with the flat keyboard.

Honestly I don't like this flat keyboard Droid. I compare it to mine and mine feels really solid in built quality. A little heavier than the Flat Keyboard Droid. That one feels extremely flimsy and very plastic like. This is kind of frustrating.