*WARning* O/C @1000Mhz+

Status
Not open for further replies.

r-dubya

Reaction score
(I did post this in the ROMS section, but wasn't sure if that is the correct area for this, I also want as many people as possible to get this warning, so MODs if this is not the right section, feel free to move this)

For all those out there who have over clocked your droid i have a tale of caution for you. This has now happened to me twice.

In the evening i aways plug in my droid and use it as my alarm clock. A few days ago though, i woke up to my alarm clock going off as usual. When i went to pick up my phone to turn off the alarm however, my phone was EXTREMELY hot. Hot to the point were it hurt when i picked it up. It was also completely unresponsive, i could not turn off the alarm, or do anything, i immediately did a battery pull and waited it out, all was fine in the end. At the time i had my droid over clocked at 1000 and though nothing of it.

A day passes and it leaves my mind. I even changed my clock speed to 1200 as i had heard no real complaints about that speed.

This morning i wake up to something similar, but to even make the problem worse, my phone had fallen on the ground last night, and i guess i tossed off a pillow in the middle of the night as well, as it was on top of the phone when i woke up (guess it held the heat in)...

The alarm had been going off for quite some time, and when i got my phone out from underneath the pillow, it was even hotter then the other morning. It was VERY hot, and the screen looked funny. I did a battery pull again, but it would not come back on. The phone was fried.

YES i was using the stock charger that came with the phone and not a cheap aftermarket charger. I have had the phone since Nov, with no other issues. I was running Sholes 2.0.5 @ 1200Mhz.

I talked to a buddy of mine who had something similar happen to him, and it was only at speeds > 1000.

So a warning to all who is out there, Over clock above 1000 at YOUR OWN RISK.

-Dubya

sam5828

Reaction score
(I did post this in the ROMS section, but wasn't sure if that is the correct area for this, I also want as many people as possible to get this warning, so MODs if this is not the right section, feel free to move this)

For all those out there who have over clocked your droid i have a tale of caution for you. This has now happened to me twice.

In the evening i aways plug in my droid and use it as my alarm clock. A few days ago though, i woke up to my alarm clock going off as usual. When i went to pick up my phone to turn off the alarm however, my phone was EXTREMELY hot. Hot to the point were it hurt when i picked it up. It was also completely unresponsive, i could not turn off the alarm, or do anything, i immediately did a battery pull and waited it out, all was fine in the end. At the time i had my droid over clocked at 1000 and though nothing of it.

A day passes and it leaves my mind. I even changed my clock speed to 1200 as i had heard no real complaints about that speed.

This morning i wake up to something similar, but to even make the problem worse, my phone had fallen on the ground last night, and i guess i tossed off a pillow in the middle of the night as well, as it was on top of the phone when i woke up (guess it held the heat in)...

The alarm had been going off for quite some time, and when i got my phone out from underneath the pillow, it was even hotter then the other morning. It was VERY hot, and the screen looked funny. I did a battery pull again, but it would not come back on. The phone was fried.

YES i was using the stock charger that came with the phone and not a cheap aftermarket charger. I have had the phone since Nov, with no other issues. I was running Sholes 2.0.5 @ 1200Mhz.

I talked to a buddy of mine who had something similar happen to him, and it was only at speeds > 1000.

So a warning to all who is out there, Over clock above 1000 at YOUR OWN RISK.

-Dubya
I have been at 1200 for awhile and no problems here :icon_ banana:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
How is your setcpu profiles set up?? Are you running 1000 all the time or did you slow it down when charging?

Reks

Reaction score
sounds like you got something running your phone on max setting all night

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
For sleep/standby and charging I don't have mine higher than 600. Try that and see if it helps.

OP
r-dubya

r-dubya

Reaction score
Don't say i didn't warn you though. $89 for a replacement isn't a lot of money, but that's $89 i could have used on something else...

OP
r-dubya

r-dubya

Reaction score
Profile was 250 when sleeping, thing is when my alarm went off, it was no longer sleeping, and it was under the pillow and went off for quite some time.. (i was late this morning)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So....you gonna overclock the replacement?

agent42o

Reaction score
I don't really get why people run their phones that high anyways, I stick to 800MHZ and everything works great, the system is snappy, I use live wallpapers, and they work fine.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Because 1ghz is even faster.

And 1.2 is even faster than that.

:)

Some people like to drive their car over the speed limit too. Some like to race it. :)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you left a pillow over your phone that was OC'd to 2x the stock clocks and your phone died, sounds about right=P

Note to self, don't smother OC'd phone with pillow.

OP
r-dubya

r-dubya

Reaction score
I ran at 800 for ever and loved it... guess i got greedy as all. The phone FLYS at 800 and there was really no reason to OC to 1200...

I am wondering if it had something to do with the voltage problems, as it WAS plugged in and the alarm clock was going off for quite some time. I had the profiles set up to run at 250 while sleeping, but i wonder if when the alarm clock went off and the cpu was running at 1200 if there is somehow an excess of heat due to it being plugged in as well... i don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.