want to know the true, life after getting rooted.

thinkmega

Reaction score
Under "Droid Hacks" forum, there is a post concerned me a lot, see here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/51911-rooted-froyo-now-poor-service.html

I want to know from those brave, with 2.2 rooted phone in your hand, do you experience any issue after getting 2.2 root? Here are my questions:

1. If you OC the cpu, is the performance improved substantially? If so, in what sense?

2. Can you do usb tethering with frf84b build? Or you have to use frf57? Is the connection stay stable?

3. When you do wifi tethering, do you experience drop connection problem at all? Any security concern?

4. Do you experience any signal, call quality related problems? Please explain.

I would really appreciate your sharing of information, if possible.

J.

rigualj

Reaction score
I just started rooting my phone about four weeks ago. I'm now addicted. I haven't come across any problems, but I'll answer your questions one by one.

1. There is a little bit of an improvement. I only overclock mine to 800mhz, cause I'm a wimp. I do notice a difference that is worth for me keeping in at 800mhz with a minimum of 250mhz. Once you root, and get an oc kernal, download setcpu. You need to buy it, but it's only a couple books. That program will allow you to adjust the speeds.

2. I don't do USB tethering. If you have root, you can do wifi tethering with a free app. I can't answer about usb tethering.

3. The only security concern is if you want to have an open wifi connection. You can secure it if you wish. I haven't noticed any drop connections.

4. No signal or call quality loss at all.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Thank you.

What apps would benefit the most from OC? Do you use the phone to watch video or tv? Do you think that's why a faster cpu would help? or something else?

Thanks for your insights again.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
I forgot to ask, which ROM are you using? thx.

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/51911-rooted-froyo-now-poor-service.html

I want to know from those brave, with 2.2 rooted phone in your hand, do you experience any issue after getting 2.2 root? Here are my questions:

1. If you OC the cpu, is the performance improved substantially? If so, in what sense?

2. Can you do usb tethering with frf84b build? Or you have to use frf57? Is the connection stay stable?

3. When you do wifi tethering, do you experience drop connection problem at all? Any security concern?

I would really appreciate your sharing of information, if possible.

J.

1. yes, phone is snappier and apps load alittle faster. Its a noticeable difference

2. you cannot do the built in usb tethering, period. Verizon does not offer a plan for it.

3. no and no, never had any problems other then the phone getting alittle hot after extended tethering

4. Nope phone calls and data work fine

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

What apps would benefit the most from OC? Do you use the phone to watch video or tv? Do you think that's why a faster cpu would help? or something else?

Thanks for your insights again.

the OC really doesn't help with watching video off youtube or something, that's really dependent on your internet connection.. a stock droid can handle most any youtube video on wifi. where i really see the speed difference is in internet browsing, page loading speeds specifically. everything just happens faster, where as a video just kinda happens at the same rate since the stock droid is really quite good.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
[/code]
It's a little "snappier", I would say. Less lag when you're jumping through menus or homescreens. Not really necessary, though - not much on a smartphone really NEEDS a lot of speed.

Haven't done much comparison between the versions - I just tried USB tethering out and it worked fine, so I left it alone. That was back on one of the earlier Froyo leaks, so I don't know how it is with frf84. If the built-in tethering option doesn't work, there IS a rooted-only wired tethering app that should work with most kernels as well.

I only tether for short periods to a single host, so I'm not too worried about security. If somebody else connected, I'd see it and deal with it.

Nope, not really. I did notice a bit of battery life loss, but that could be due to the fact that I play with it a lot more :p

LittleCarp04

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted much since getting my Droid about a month ago. But today I decided to Root and put 2.2 on my phone and i am LOVING IT!

I am using ChevyNo1's 1ghz ULV kernel ( i think thats how it was typed out)
Put BB v.04

Just from flashing the rom and installing that new kernel my quadrant went from about 330(ish) before root, to 1310.

I noticed a MUCH smoother overall performance from just browsing sites to messing with apps.

Ability to use Root only apps like setcpu to really give you control over how your device acts, and for me I've seen a large increase in battery life over stock.

Havent had any call quality or signal problems as of yet. But also havent tried anything with tethering yet (since I dont really have a need for it.. no laptop here)

rigualj

Reaction score
I'm using simply stunning 4.3 with the theme. Just loading apps, scrolling, and loading the home screen all seem to be a little bit more snappier.

I do use my phone to watch movies that I convert using hand brake. The videos played fine before. I do feel that the video player loads faster, and you can jump to different chapters on the movie with less lag.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
for your first question i have been running my pjoe at 600 mhz all the time now and it is SO much faster than 2.1 was at 1 ghz

and for your other questions i cant answer them as i dont/cant tether and have no service on my phone

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should try to keep an eye on what things seem to be common problems. If you look for every single problem then you'll definitely never root. Heck, you probably wouldn't even buy a Droid if you took every single problem thread in General Discussion that way!

do you experience any issue after getting 2.2 root?
Not after rooting in and of itself. With ROM's -- especially experimental ROM's -- of course there are issues. That doesn't mean that there aren't fixes or workarounds though. Always backup so you can restore to a known good point.

If you OC the cpu, is the performance improved substantially? If so, in what sense?
Yes. Performance is improved anywhere where the CPU was formerly a bottleneck.

When you do wifi tethering, do you experience drop connection problem at all? Any security concern?
No. No. No more than I ever have security concerns with WiFi in general.

Do you experience any signal, call quality related problems? Please explain.
No. Not sure why an explanation is needed.

Keep in mind that one person's specific experience may or may not be relevant to your own. In other words, you can certainly have problems where others have had none and vice-versa.

Again, always backup!

Last edited:

durrell

Reaction score

1. Yes. In some cases my phone is 5 or 10 seconds faster than my wife's non-rooted identical Droid.

2. Yes, my boss does it. I do Wireless Tethering, though. It's so much easier and works flawlessly using "Wireless Tether" from the market.

3. Not at all. I have connected 2 or 3 devices at a time and had great results. You can even set up MAC filtering or security. (At least in the Wireless Tether app.)

4. No, my 3G reception has stayed the same as non-rooted. I haven't messed with my baseband, though.

In my opinion, if you're comfortable with the process there is really no reason not to root. If you just REALLY don't like it, you can always revert back to stock easily.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score

1. Yes. In some cases my phone is 5 or 10 seconds faster than my wife's non-rooted identical Droid.

2. Yes, my boss does it. I do Wireless Tethering, though. It's so much easier and works flawlessly using "Wireless Tether" from the market.

3. Not at all. I have connected 2 or 3 devices at a time and had great results. You can even set up MAC filtering or security. (At least in the Wireless Tether app.)

4. No, my 3G reception has stayed the same as non-rooted. I haven't messed with my baseband, though.

In my opinion, if you're comfortable with the process there is really no reason not to root. If you just REALLY don't like it, you can always revert back to stock easily.

Very good. Which sbf do you install? Any comment on the one released 6/28 or 29, aka, frf84b? thanks.