Wallpaper size for Milstone?

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
I read that 960x854 should be the right resolution. I did with Gimp an image with that size, copied it to the sd card and set it as wallpaper. What a wonderful surprise when the android tried to crop it. So, I guess, 960x854 is not the right resolution. any insight?

WatskeBart

Reaction score
U could try 480 x 854 that's the physical size of your screen.
I didn't tried it yet, i just own my Milestone for 2 days. :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What a wonderful surprise when the android tried to crop it. So, I guess, 960x854 is not the right resolution. any insight?

Does the same on the Droid.

Tap on the crop box and drag the arrows to the full extent.....

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
What a wonderful surprise when the android tried to crop it. So, I guess, 960x854 is not the right resolution. any insight?

Does the same on the Droid.

Tap on the crop box and drag the arrows to the full extent.....
:icon_ banana: ouch, did not try that one. Good call. I am a newbie too, only two weeks using the phone. Had a lot of work and did not have time to investigate it. That´s way I love this forum. Thanks for the tip. So you confirm that 960x854 is the right resolution? And I have to extended the crop area?

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
BTW, is there any way to access to the ones stored in the phone? the ones displayed in the Wallpaper gallery? guess I will have to remove the sd card right?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Display is listed as 480 x 854 pixels Motorola MILESTONE - Full phone specifications

But wallpaper should be the same as the Droid since they are basically the same phone...

Stock wallpapers are not accessible to delete unless you have root from my understanding....

nazgoul

Reaction score
I read that 960x854 should be the right resolution. I did with Gimp an image with that size, copied it to the sd card and set it as wallpaper. What a wonderful surprise when the android tried to crop it. So, I guess, 960x854 is not the right resolution. any insight?

960x854 makes no sense to me, you could see the 960 as 2 x 480 (which is the size of the screen) but 1440 (3x480) would make more sense to me since you have 3 homescreens by default and the Pic could span all the 3 homescreens. This is all theoretical, so please reply if you try it :)

OP
the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent

Reaction score
Well, by default Gimp starts new images in 72 dpi, which is more than enough for something like that.

thinkofwhy

Reaction score

960x854 makes no sense to me, you could see the 960 as 2 x 480 (which is the size of the screen) but 1440 (3x480) would make more sense to me since you have 3 homescreens by default and the Pic could span all the 3 homescreens. This is all theoretical, so please reply if you try it :)
The Milestone doesn't use three screens when it pans the desktop. It only pans the image left or right by about 80%, so it's closer to 830x720 dimensions, by my experiments.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ahh, I thought they were basically the same phone except for cell tower chipsets.

The Droid for Verizon does use wallpaper dimensions of 960x854 as I've made a few. You also can visit the gallery here and right click any of the wallpapers in full view mode and check the properties to see the size too.

The same wallpaper works fine whether I have 3,4,5,6 or 7 desktops setup. The wallpaper just doesn't scroll as much when I move from screen to screen.

On the Milestone if you install home++ do you get more than 2 desktops?