Wallet app?

billjrichard

Reaction score
I'm looking for a wallet app for my Droid that also has a desktop version and supports wireless sync via the cloud. Any recommendations?

techguru

Reaction score
I'm looking for a wallet app for my Droid that also has a desktop version and supports wireless sync via the cloud. Any recommendations?

What I have found so far that look decent.

SplashID: Looks good, has a free demo for the Droid, but the desktop version does not have a free demo, so to try synch, you have to pay. They have a good reputation. many years fo providing service for Palm and Windows Mobile.

Keepass: Free, decent interface, and has both mobile and desktop version. Unfortunatly, the mobile version does not yet support the new database format that supports OTA synchronization, so for now, you need an older version on the desktop (1.6) and you need to remember where you made changes and manually copy the database file in the right direction. I expect they will update to the new database version and support some kind of synchronization.

eWallet: Not available for Android yet. It is being discussed passionately on the Ilium software blog, but the developer is not yet ready to commit to developing an Android version. eWallet is the best of the best for Palm, WindowsMobile, iPhone, and I think it supports Blackberry as well. It is so good I am thinking about installing the desktop version on an always on server and just using RDP or VNC to remotely connect when I need a password until an Android version is available. (also not free).

Alan

davemag

Reaction score
Wallet Apps

Hmm...I'm running SplashID on my XP desktop and the phone...I paid for the phone version but am running the desktop in "trial"; mode. 30 days is what it's giving me, and I'll go ahead and buy it. I am getting full sync on this trial version as well. I doubt SplashID will sync to a cloud, though...it wants the IP of the syncing machine when you initiate. Also, you can only initiate a sync from the phone side.

I had eWallet before switching to the Droid and it's a good app as well. It did sync via cable...I don't know about wireless, though. Same issue re: cloud. I found converting the database from eWallet to SplashID wasn't difficult with some Replace commands. The field delimiters in SplashID have to be added to the exported eWallet text file, then it'll work fine. Hope that helps, Davemag

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
Hmm...I'm running SplashID on my XP desktop and the phone...I paid for the phone version but am running the desktop in "trial" mode. 30 days is what it's giving me, and I'll go ahead and buy it. I am getting full sync on this trial version as well. I doubt SplashID will sync to a cloud, though...it wants the IP of the syncing machine when you initiate. Also, you can only initiate a sync from the phone side. I had eWallet before switching to the Droid and it's a good app as well. It did sync via cable...I don't know about wireless, though. Same issue re: cloud. I found converting the database from eWallet to SplashID wasn't difficult with some Replace commands. The field delimiters in SplashID have to be added to the exported eWallet text file, then it'll work fine. Hope that helps, Davemag

Yeah, I had that reversed. Trial available for desktop, need to pay for phone (or if there is a trial, I couldn't find it).

A discussion over at PDAPhonehome.com we have discussed either using www.mesh.com or just gmail to move copy the current keepass database back and forth to stay in sync.

Alan

Alan

bodean

Reaction score
Guess a new version of SplashID is due out any day now.
Not liking that keepass sync doesn't work with v2

SplashID is way over-priced if you ask me. Might just make a word file, and save $30-40 bucks.

Last edited:

davemag

Reaction score
SplashID

It's not cheap, that's for sure, but then you're getting decent encryption along with the user interface, syncing, etc. For most users a Word file with PGP or similar encryption would work just fine, though I think it's fair to say Word has more vulnerabilities than SplashID does. If Keepass gets synch ability it's a good alternative, although I didn't like the workflow too much.

Options are good.

bodean

Reaction score
It's not cheap, that's for sure, but then you're getting decent encryption along with the user interface, syncing, etc. For most users a Word file with PGP or similar encryption would work just fine, though I think it's fair to say Word has more vulnerabilities than SplashID does. If Keepass gets synch ability it's a good alternative, although I didn't like the workflow too much.

Options are good.

What do you mean by workflow?

pwjone1

Reaction score
I guess I'll throw in my two bits. I have eWallet on a Windows Mobile (HTC) phone, and PC, would buy it in a second if it was available for the Droid (I did my two bits, put it up on their Blog). eWallet really did the job. However, not having it, I'm still contemplating. I guess I'd also prefer a cloud or google type server synchronization type ap, but PC is fine. Just want someplace where I can get a decent backup.

Anyway, have looked into a few things:

SpashID

The Droid examples on their web site look good, but it also has a lot of bugs to it, judging from the feedback, so I think I'll wait until 4.7 ships.

Astrid

This is more a ListPro type function, than secret passwords, so skip. A bit buggy on the Droid, have had to kill it a number of times.

OI Safe

Kind of crude, but more or less works. Comes with the Personal/Business separation. Basic fields include:

* Description
* Website
* username
* password
* notes

so it's more a userid/password thing, than anything. I haven't find anything for different type cards, as is in eWallet, nothing for credit cards, etc. Maybe a bit on the crude side

Password Vault

Another password manager. Fields include:

* Title
* Username
* password
* notes (text)

It does have one nice feature, it auto-closes. It is kind of weak in terms of the number of fields, doing things other than userid/passwords. No cards ala eWallet. Requires password AND userid (!?) to get in, kind of annoying in asking for the latter. I have the phone lock itself, so I don't really need the userid/password, but...

Wallet

This would seem like, from the name, the closest thing to eWallet, Right? Well elements are somewhat close, though not as rich. There are 4 categories:

* Door codes
* web passwords
* Credit cards
* other

so that's at least closer. But the application doesn't seem to be very Droid friendly, some of the text is really small, very tough to read. I couldn't get the scrolling to work all that well. There's some GPS type info, which might be useful. But basically, not quite ready for Droid.

pwjone1

Reaction score
KeePassDroid

OK, I'm going to add another Password manager to the list. Again, not eWallet, by any stretch.

KeePassDroid

This appears to have some password database synchronization, but not yet working for Droid/PC, so for now, Droid only. Basically comes up with two userid/password categories:

• Internet
  • eMail

You can add further on your own. Has the following fields

• Title
  • Userid
  • Password
  • Comment

Tried it out. It gets occasional problems on the Droid, nothing too insurmountable, but focus problems is the main one. Gets it done for what it is, but kind of crude compared to eWallet. Nothing in the way of being able to tailer or add to the fields. Nothing in the way of pre-built fields for much of anything beyond the basics.

Nepherim

Reaction score
b-folder looks like the best option I've found -- desktop version coming soon, apparently.

Another excellent options, and one which should beat all others is SecForms. Unfortunately, it's so convoluted to use, it's shameful. It is very powerful though, and has a lot of potential, as long as the developers get the user flow sorted out.

pwjone1

Reaction score
Secret Box

Secret Box

This one is another pretty simple application, nothing much pre-built. Basically you define a secret, there are really only two fields:

• Name
  • Secret (text, type in anything)

You have then an entry password. So nothing prebuilt in terms of userid/password, credit-card-number/expertiation-date/ccn, etc. So you can free text things, and the fonts are all readable on a Droid (unlike, say Wallet), but kind of on the primitive side.

pwjone1

Reaction score
b-folder looks like the best option I've found -- desktop version coming soon, apparently.

Another excellent options, and one which should beat all others is SecForms. Unfortunately, it's so convoluted to use, it's shameful. It is very powerful though, and has a lot of potential, as long as the developers get the user flow sorted out.

I cannot seem to find b-folder in the Android Marketplace. Searched on b-folder and folder, nothing much seems to come up. Of course, could be that it doesn't support Android 2.0 (I'm running the search from a Droid), or that I'm just not having it come up. Any hints further?

I am playing now with Secforms. You're right, it does look much closer to eWallet, at least so far.

Nepherim

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find b-folder in the Android Marketplace.
I search for 'b-folders' in MarketPlace (maybe the 's' is the key) and it pops right up.

I am playing now with Secforms. You're right, it does look much closer to eWallet, at least so far.
Yeah. They just need to get rid of the whole 'forms' layer. It doesn't need to be there, and adds nothing but confusion. The templates are great.

If b-folders added templates they'd also be very good.

Last edited:

pwjone1

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find b-folder in the Android Marketplace.
I search for 'b-folders' in MarketPlace (maybe the 's' is the key) and it pops right up.

Yeah. They just need to get rid of the whole 'forms' layer. It doesn't need to be there, and adds nothing but confusion. The templates are great.

If SecForms added templates they'd also be very good.

Yep, that was it. B-Folders. Found it. Thanks!

(As a side note, is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that Google, the force behind Android, and the company that everyone uses as a verb for search, doesn't have all that good an Android market search (yes, I know, shouldn't complain, used to be much worse, still...), and has essentially no PC/Web-based Android market search)

I had already downloaded Secforms, and am playing with it, so I'll try B-Folders next. One thing I ran into with SecForms, and I kind of get what they're "at", the customizable forms is a nice feature, lets me generalize a bit more, so while more complex, I don't mind being able to create a template, but I have to agree, yes, for the normal user, maybe hidden a bit more. I did run into one thing, the Credit Card template wants the expiration date in the form mm-dd-yy, nothing too bad with that, but mostly my credit cards just say mm/yy, there's no day. Also needs a form for contact numbers, in case the card is lost.

But from what I've seen so far, both are pretty good. Thanks again for pointing them out.

pwjone1

Reaction score
B-Folders Review

B-Folders

OK, I finished playing with B-Folders, as suggested that seems to be the best eWallet type application available so far on the Droid.

The types of items it supports are:

• Folder (for organization)
  • Note (free form text)
  • Contact (similar to phone contact, built in on Droid, but obvously password protected
  • Credit Card
  • Login Password (Userid)
  • Bookmark (URL)

Pretty much everything works, no Droid anomalies, things are readable, entry is pretty logical and well laid out. For a Free Ap, it's pretty well done.

Pros

• Free
  • Has all the basics covered (Credit Card, URL, userid, Free Format)
  • Works pretty well

Cons

• Not as rich as eWallet in prebuilt cards, and as far as I can tell, no way of extending, so you end up using Notes (free format) a fair amount
  • Password timeout max is at 20 minutes (I set the Droid to have a gesture protect, so I don't really need a timeout, or at least would like a higher timeout)
  • Doesn't seem to sort the cards automatically, you have to cut'n'paste manually

One thing I found with the Credit Cards is that it misses a couple of fields, one for a contact phone number if the card is lost (+ international phone #, maybe that's 2 fields), same for URL. And the URL card is also a bit short on fields, for userid/password, various other aspects, but mostly you can put that in the note, or just use the userid card type. But there are a considerable number of card types found in eWallet, but not in B-Folders:

• General Purpose
  • Health Numbers
  • ID Card
  • Insurance Policy
  • Internet Settings
  • Lens Prescription
  • Library Card
  • Membership Info
  • Note Card
  • Password Info (similar enough to userid)
  • Picture Card
  • Prescription
  • Serial Number
  • Social Security Number
  • Software Serial Number
  • Voice Mail Info
  • Voter Card

But again, free, and the Notes free-format can be used to cover the missing card types, so not insurmountable as a problem.