Wait for OTA gingerbread or root now

spindizzy

Reaction score
I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm not rooted and I want gingerbread. If I wait for the OTA version will that block me from rooting later? And what way should I go by rooting? I did see on youtube about the root without losing data.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Parkhum

Reaction score
Hmmm.
If you plan on rooting later, I'd say that you should just do it now.
I don't really have much a reason, just the fact that if you do it later, you could have done it now.

OP
S

spindizzy

Reaction score
Will the new OTA update block me from rooting later?

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
Hmmm.
If you plan on rooting later, I'd say that you should just do it now.
I don't really have much a reason, just the fact that if you do it later, you could have done it now.

^ Brings up a really good point. and i was stuck on the same question you were on about 3 weeks ago. i ended up going with rooting. id rather stick with the developers on XDA than stick around and wait for another buggy update from verizon/htc/all the other manufacturers.

OP
S

spindizzy

Reaction score
Revolutionary Root is what I was wondering about. Anyone have any information.?

turdbogls

Reaction score
i would just do it now. if you feel cumfortable with rooting, go for it. there really is no reason to hold off on it. if you want stock GB when it comes out, you can flash the RUU and loose root and just be stock GB, or you can wait (will still probably come out before the official OTA gets pushed) for the devs to make a flashable .zip of the OTA.

if you have any interest at all in rooting, i suggest doing it now simply because no one knows what kind of root exploit, if any, will work on the official OTA.

rockula

Reaction score
When is this GB OTA coming out? My phone is running perfectly on stock set up.

I've also never rooted a phone before... So is have to spend God knows how long researching it and asking questions.

What i hear about GB and/or rooting is that I'll get better battery life and can maybe use Swype and who knows what else... As long as the results are pleasing, and not a pain!

J

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OTA has been going out for the past few days but it sounds like they really picked up the pace this morning. A lot of people are reporting having received the update this morning.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the TB subforum, enlightened.

OP: Root now.

kaw19razor

Reaction score
Well I'm jealous... Still no update here...

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
The OTA has been going out for the past few days but it sounds like they really picked up the pace this morning. A lot of people are reporting having received the update this morning.

So the gb for the rb is being rolled out ? Can anyone confirm this

OP
S

spindizzy

Reaction score
What I really Want is the new sense 3.0. I have read that the Thunderbolt will not get the new version of sense. So rooting it may be. How do I go about blocking the OTA after root?

ajk23az

Reaction score
Yes, definitely root now.

DAS BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9 is SWEET. Soooo smooth. Little hard on the battery life but still better than stock!!

OP
S

spindizzy

Reaction score
When we get the OTA Gingerbread is it coming with sense 3.0 or do we have to root to get it?