VZW Triangulation Location Issues

Beardface

Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the Thunderbolt section, since I am rocking that device now, but I was also having this issue with the Droid before I switched over. Is anyone else having problems with the triangulation off Verizon towers for location purposes? I run Tasker, and I have it set so the sound mutes itself when I walk in the local movies or into work, or the volume decreases when I arrive home, but recently, its been all over the place. I just tried to get a fix on myself, and it was putting my location a good 2 miles away from where I really am. In the past, I was able to get away with it being within 100 meters or so.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I mean, its not that big an issue, I can always mute it on my own. But I really did like that option.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Cell Near with Tasker. It's a bit tricky to set up but seems to work reliably for me. The trick is basically picking up enough cell towers for the context to work.

armyman22

Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the Thunderbolt section, since I am rocking that device now, but I was also having this issue with the Droid before I switched over. Is anyone else having problems with the triangulation off Verizon towers for location purposes? I run Tasker, and I have it set so the sound mutes itself when I walk in the local movies or into work, or the volume decreases when I arrive home, but recently, its been all over the place. I just tried to get a fix on myself, and it was putting my location a good 2 miles away from where I really am. In the past, I was able to get away with it being within 100 meters or so.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I mean, its not that big an issue, I can always mute it on my own. But I really did like that option.

First off thanks for the help on my decision to get the TB. I love it so far. Now on to the issue, I too was wondering about this. Since we live in the same area here's my thought on it. I had this problem with my blackberry too. Usually when I am at home (Lake wheeler/Tryon rd area) it recognizes me as being way over in Garner. My weather even lists Garner weather rather than Raleigh. I know that where I live there are several towers scattered around and I'm guessing that they're just not triangulating properly depending on where you are, i don't think it's anything with the phone.

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score

First off thanks for the help on my decision to get the TB. I love it so far. Now on to the issue, I too was wondering about this. Since we live in the same area here's my thought on it. I had this problem with my blackberry too. Usually when I am at home (Lake wheeler/Tryon rd area) it recognizes me as being way over in Garner. My weather even lists Garner weather rather than Raleigh. I know that where I live there are several towers scattered around and I'm guessing that they're just not triangulating properly depending on where you are, i don't think it's anything with the phone.
No problem... Glad you love it!

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same. I know this is 100% a Verizon problem and not a problem with the TBolt, because I was having the same problem with the Droid.

Not a huge, huge deal. The notifications on the Bolt are a bit less intensive than the Droid, so the need isn't there. I just don't want to have GPS running all the time, which is what Tasker would do when I turn on location.

johnchimpo

Reaction score
I live in Cary and have the same problem. I have had the original droid since its release and it has always failed cell tower triangulation as soon as GPS signal is lost. I generally leave my wifi off unless I really need it since it tends to suck and just wastes battery. My Google Latitude location always jumps away (to what I assume is the cell tower location) as soon as I enter a building.

Is there a workaround for this? Does Verizon disable triangulation for some reason or does Android just suck at calculating it? I have found that if I disable the Location & security > Use wireless networks option, it at least leaves me at the last location which it sensed my GPS. Not sure if this affects other apps or not.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just don't want to have GPS running all the time, which is what Tasker would do when I turn on location.
GPS on != running all the time. If your GPS receiver is active all the time then you have a problem app that you need to deal with. The GPS receiver will not impact battery life unless it is actively used (you'll see the GPS icon in the notification bar).

Is there a workaround for this? Does Verizon disable triangulation for some reason or does Android just suck at calculating it?
If you read this thread you'll see that there can be issues with tower triangulation that have nothing to do with your device. There's really nothing you can do for triangulation issues aside from trying to get the carrier to resolve the matter (good luck with that). Enabling WiFi (and "Use wireless networks") may help as it's another method of determining your location.

johnchimpo

Reaction score
If you read this thread you'll see that there can be issues with tower triangulation that have nothing to do with your device. There's really nothing you can do for triangulation issues aside from trying to get the carrier to resolve the matter (good luck with that). Enabling WiFi (and "Use wireless networks") may help as it's another method of determining your location.

People seem to THINK it was an issue on the provider side, but I don't really understand how. It would make sense to me that the phone can do tower triangulation by determining signal strength to 3+ different towers. Then it does a lookup on the tower locations and determines the intersection area of the three radii. I believe this is how the iPhone does the calculation when GPS is not available. The only way this would not work is if the phone has connection to 2 towers or less which should not be an issue in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Also, from what I've read and what I've experienced with my Droid, the "Use wireless networks" setting applies to both Wifi and Cell signals. The settings don't seem to be more granular than that.