VZ Upgrade - Can't Turn Off Amber Alerts

Cee

Reaction score
It used to be as simple as tapping the Messages icon on the Note 3 and clicking "More" and there were options to control what alerts you want to receive and how you want to receive them (status bar, sound, none or both). Those options are gone. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with VZW tech support and they couldn't find another solution to stop these alerts and said that those who had updated their phones at their offices no longer had that functionality while those who hadn't still did.

First I get forced into visual voice mail and now I have Amber Alerts blaring with no choice about that.

I realize this update is very new, but has anyone found a workaround for shutting off the Amber alerts?

Thanks!

trlans

Reaction score
Try looking not in settings but for an app called Emergency Alerts, then menu, settings, then alert types. Here you can remove Amber Alerts.

OP
Cee

Cee

Reaction score
Wow, that worked, thank you so much!

I thought I knew my phone pretty well and I swear I have never noticed that app before. Now why couldn't the VZ rep (who said he knew the Note 3) figure this out? After 40 minutes and him asking a bunch of people at the call center, and no one had the answer to my question.

Again, thank you :)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Mine is turned off but I still get amber alerts. (which is fine by me being how important they are)

tap'n

OP
Cee

Cee

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into a debate on whether they're important. That should be a choice to an individual and when I'm asleep I'm sure not out there looking for lost children so getting them than is pointless. I don't want them and am hoping that by setting the app as suggested that they won't come through anymore.
Thanks again for the assistance Trlans. I am really appreciative :)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wasn't trying to debate or judge anyone's preference, just pointing out that I still receive them even with the alerts turned off. And that, (for me) the amber alerts aren't a bother.

tap'n

OP
Cee

Cee

Reaction score
Hmmm... that is disheartening to hear. Hubby drives a semi so we don't have a 9-5 schedule. I don't want him awakened by these things b/c the last thing anyone wants is to be driving next to a sleepy truck driver. And he made a very good point about getting them while driving - that we're discouraged from looking at devices while driving, yet these alerts beg you to look at them. As he's driving all the time, not a good idea. He says the info on traffic signs is enough.

To each his own on getting them or not, but we deserve a choice. We pay enough for the phones and plans that we should have one.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info to adjust the settings. I just got my S3 two days ago, and went back to the VZW store for help on this, and they couldn't even figure it out. :)