Voice mail redirected to google voice

badazz74

Reaction score
I have a rooted droid with Jrummy's custom rom, I have visual vm but all my voice mail is being redirected through google voice. How do I fix it to use verizon's voice mail instead. On my call settings "voice mail service" is set to My Carrier. On google voice on their website I have my phone deselected with the message "Activate Google voicemail on this phone" next to it so I assume it is not activated. I can find on phone to uninstall google voice either. Thanks.

I figured it out I activated it and then deactivated (*73) it and now it seems to work, weird.

Last edited:

lorikenh

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, I cancelled everything that said Google voice, including cancelling my Google account. G Voice keeps answering my phone, what do you do to "deactivate", then "reactivate"

tommyz

Reaction score
I'm having just the opposite. My Verizon voicemail won't go away so I can use google voice!

I seem to be having this problem also for the last few weeks.

If someone calls my Google Voice number and I slide the slider to send the call to voice mail it goes to the Verizon Voice mail not Google Voice Voice mail.

I have tried to look through the settings thinking I messed something up, but no luck.

FootballRef

Reaction score
Have you guys made sure that Google Voicemail is not activated under the "Phones" tab on the Google Voice website?

tommyz

Reaction score
I did a couple of tests.

someone calls my Google Voice Number:

- I slide the on-screen "Slider" to the left, which sends the call to voice mail.
* Goes to Verizon Voice Mail

- I push the "Volume Down" button, which silences the ringer
* goes to Google Voice Mail

- I just let the call ring and then the system sends it to voice mail

I wish I could get the first option (slide the onscreen slider) to send the call to voice mail would work by sending it to Google Voice Mail or Verizon Voice Mail, depending on the original number, which was called.

I'm thinking about having all my calls go to Google Voice Mail. I will have to look into whether that is possible without loosing certain functions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I did a couple of tests.

- I slide the on-screen "Slider" to the left, which sends the call to voice mail.

I wish I could get the first option (slide the onscreen slider) to send the call to voice mail would work by sending it to Google Voice Mail or Verizon Voice Mail, depending on the original number, which was called.

I'm thinking about having all my calls go to Google Voice Mail. I will have to look into whether that is possible without loosing certain functions.
Contact Google about it. They might be aware of the problem but they might not. If not they might come out with a fix soon. It might also be a problem with Verizon's service.

tommyz

Reaction score
I did a couple of tests.

Contact Google about it. They might be aware of the problem but they might not. If not they might come out with a fix soon. It might also be a problem with Verizon's service.

Question, How is it best to contact Google about something like this? There are so many channels for contacting so many different people, it's a bit confusing.

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Market> Google Voice> scroll to the bottom> Send email to developer. The address there.

Also, if you're having issues after updating the app, why not "uninstall updates" right next to the open button at the bottom? :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
any more details about how can Voice mail redirect to google voice?
What problem(s) are you having? Did you follow the instructions to "Activate GV voicemail on your phone" (conditional call forwarding)?

AFAIK that's not currently possible. I think if you choose to ignore a call on your phone that it will go to whatever voicemail system you have specified in Settings->Call settings->Voicemail service.

You could manually do this by leaving that set to My carrier and using the ignore option to send calls to VZW voicemail while silencing calls that you want to go to GV voicemail.

Which functions?

Personally, I use GV for everything. It's a lot easier in many ways IMO.

Last edited:

tommyz

Reaction score
Which functions?

Personally, I use GV for everything. It's a lot easier in many ways IMO.

I know what I'm worried about. It looks like it forwards the calls to my GV, which in turn will charge minutes everytime a call goes to Voice Mail.
But, Now that I think about it, I wouldn't use any minutes to check the Google Voice Mail.

I guess that would make sense to route all voicemail calls to Google Voice Mail.

I do think you lose call waiting. If forward your calls to Google Voice Mail with the *71 code it looks like if your on a call and another call comes in it will automatically go to voice mail rather than call waiting. Correct?

Last edited: