vista os and mount droid

dsgerman

Reaction score
Has anyone found a reliable method to mount your droid with vista as an operating system. New build vista premium will not mount my droid. Will not recognize or asks for me to load a disk. Yellow exclamation in mass storage drive in device manager. Tried every work around. Debugging on/off. Mount at various times. Drivers/Motorola etc. Worked like a dream in seconds on XP Pro on another office computer. Thanks.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
I am jealous. Spent many hours trying to resolve this. Read on many websites of troubles with vista. Wonder how prevalent this is. Hope I will find out. Only change i have not tried is to change the drive letter of a thumb drive i use daily. Both are G drive. Maybe a conflict here even though thumb drive not installed when I tried the droid.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Vista "troubles" are highly over-rated and overhyped... and actually at this point in time ancient history.

You should. Mount the Droid, so that you see the yellow mark in device manager.

Delete that device (actually you are deleting the driver reference).

Remove the Droid.

Reboot Vista.

Attempt again to mount the Droid.

Windows is stubborn. Once it has a "failed" connection, it continue to attempt (and fail) to remount the driver in the same location. Only by clearing it (as mentioned above) will you be giving Vista a chance to reconfigure itself to load the drive.

ldimick

Reaction score
have you tried the Motorola USB Driver? I would argue with Jay that Vista problems are over hyped. I have 64 bit running as well and I have problems with some USB devices. It is a problem that is isolated to the OS. It is not hardware.

Anyway, try the Motorola USB drivers and report back.

drew

Reaction score
It's been working fine for me on Vista Home. What happens if you try to connect other USB devices (camera, memory stick, etc) on that same USB port? Sounds like the problem could be the driver or the port itself.

JayMonster

Reaction score
have you tried the Motorola USB Driver? I would argue with Jay that Vista problems are over hyped. I have 64 bit running as well and I have problems with some USB devices. It is a problem that is isolated to the OS. It is not hardware.

Anyway, try the Motorola USB drivers and report back.

What devices... and do they have 64 bit drivers? You say it is isolated to the OS... what other 64 bit OS are you connecting these devices to?

civEX

Reaction score
Vista 64-bit works fine for me. Try a diffrent USB port.

rlandon

Reaction score
Mounts fine on my Vista 32 Ultimate. Since the 2.0.1 update, however I no longer get the unmount option on the phone. Now all I get from the phones pull down is to turn off USB storage.

ldimick

Reaction score
If you're not getting the mount or unmount option on the phone you have a bad patch. Go to Verizon and have them reflash it.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses. I have tryed the motorola driver. Even thought of installing the deveopers software. I have come to think this is a usb problem as well. Reminds me of the old days with IRQ conflicts. How do you force the droid to use a different usb port. I have tried several different usb's on the board and case but with no results. Same yellow triangle on usb mass storage. Will try to remove mass storage device and reboot when back in office on monday. Thanks.

OP
D

dsgerman

Reaction score
Interesting that I mounted the droid on a home vistax32. Works fine despite error message not being able to load driver. Seems this has to be a problem with usb ports and multiple usb devices(wireless mouse and keyboard, thumb drive and external hard drive). All others work. Will try above post to remove usb mass strorage device, reboot and first mount drive. If this works-hopefull then I will check thumb drive which has been detected but shows no data.

rlandon

Reaction score
If you're not getting the mount or unmount option on the phone you have a bad patch. Go to Verizon and have them reflash it.

Mine was the manual update, which I reloaded again last night. Still no "unmount" option.