Virus immunity?

Hobn

Reaction score
I'm no expert at viruses and general malicious content, but as the Android is an OS, and I always hear about how people never hack Macs, and always Windows, does this mean web browsing on an Android phone means no malicious software will work? And also since my Droid X is still on 2.1, so no Adobe, that's even more immunity? Is there anything that would work? And also, how do viruses that infect automatically when visiting a webpage work? Is there anything I can use to preview websites on a PC or my Droid? Does that work with redirect pages? And an off-topic question, has anyone else noticed the Facebook chat spam lately?

stanrc

Reaction score
Here's how it works, people that write malicious programs write them for the operating system with the largest user base, which is Windows right now. Programs (apps, viruses, spyware) that is written for Windows won't work on Android, the same way they don't work against a Mac. Macs are just as insecure as Windows, they just aren't targeted on the same scale.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
So no keyloggers, no cookies...no anything?
I clicked the link here:
"-my name- i just got 25 free ringtones from this website!!! get yours while you can WAT KIND OF DRESS R U on Facebook"

I wouldn't advise clicking that link, but it logged me out on Facebook and I was a bit creeped out about that. Also, my emails were randomly being marked unread, so I changed my passwords due to my insane paranoia.

EDIT:Whoa, that's wierd, the link turned itself into that...I'm new here, does it do that usually?

Droids

Reaction score
Downloading ringtones from web sites is so old school. Can't believe people still do that.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
-It is risky to install software from untrusted sources no matter the OS.
-Not using Adobe Flash will remove a potential attack vector however: 1) if you set your browser to run plugins on demand then you are at a much lower risk and 2) keeping any and all of your software up to date helps block attacks.
-Malware that infects by visiting a web page occurs in a myriad of ways. Keep your software up to date and learn as much as you can to avoid risky surfing behavior.
-Educate yourself. Keeping your software up to date is only half the battle. Learn why cookies are basically harmless. Learn why UNIX/Linux/Android are much safer designs than Windows has been traditionally. Learn how to compute safely--what is ok to install, what privileges it is ok to grant. You never finish learning about computer security.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
There are different variations on how the links are delivered, and I clicked one earlier that said, "LOL! -my name-, is this you? -link-". I didn't click the ringtone one, but that's just what the spam evolved into. Zedge is pretty awesome for ringtones.