Vimeo & Redbox Instant Coming to Chromecast; HBO Go, Plex, Pandora & More Maybe Next

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chromecast_Support_Added.jpg

Despite some minor annoyances with the "still needs some work" browser functionality, for the most part the new Chromecast is getting great reviews across the web. It's also selling like hotcakes and is already sold out and backordered on most online retailers. This instant popularity with consumers has been noticed. A slew of companies are working hard to bring their services quickly to the new device.

Besides the obvious YouTube, Netflix, and Google Play services which came with the device, now both Vimeo and Redbox Instant are confirmed as coming soon to the Chromecast. That's not all though. The list of companies interested in developing their services for the device also includes: Plex, HBO Go, Pandora, AOL and Revision3.

It's amazing how quickly things are moving for this brand new technology upstart. It makes you wonder why Google didn't think of something like this for the GoogleTV before...

Luckily Google revealed that many of the Chromecast features are coming to GoogleTV. It's interesting to see how Google is merging and evolving their products.

Source: GoogleTVForum.org via TalkAndroid

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Amazon needs to hurry up and send mine! All this news and I don't have mine yet.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Havent been impressed with redbox instant. I know they are probably being restricted by the studios or wanting to avoid making their redbox kiosks obsolete but they need the ability to stream new releases. Still I look forward to getting my chromecast.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Sounds like alot of free stuff to me if the unlocked bootloader and everything have anything to say about it!! ;)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I need Crunchyroll!

WestOkid

Reaction score
I have been testing out my ChromeCast all morning. This thing is borderline magical. This is what tech is all about. I have tried all the existing apps from the phone and they are seamless. Just put the Chromecast app on your phone and any app that supports it like Netflix and Google play Musice get an added icon for casting. Click the Cast icon and its playing on your TV.
For Computers Just download the chromecast App and your good to go. For apps that are not native, you can use the Chrome browser and push your screen to the Chrome cast. Here is the slick part that isn't even talked up by Google. I keep all my media on a server, my home videos, pictures, music and my movie collection are all accessible from the netwrok. Well Google has made it possible for that collection to be shown/played on every TV in the house. You can just drag and drop files into the Chrome browser and it decodes and plays them on the fly. Hit the Cast icon in the corner of the browser and it streams content to the TV. I have tried it my wired PCs and Laptops with MP4s, MKVs, MP3s, JPEGs, PNG, and others. In all cases it is flawless. I am getting one for every TV. It's a must have for any techie. BTW - As I type, I am streaming "A Bugs Life" to the kids TV in their room from this PC in my office; it's a beautiful thing.

lostinsc

Reaction score
Trying to play catch up, in a nutshell, this will take the place of a cable going from the phone/tablet to the TV? Or am I missing something?

WestOkid

Reaction score
Trying to play catch up, in a nutshell, this will take the place of a cable going from the phone/tablet to the TV? Or am I missing something?

That's one part, but there's more to it.
* when it running Web apps like Netflix, YouTube, play music, etc. It is not running from thier servers not your phone, tablet, or PC. This means your phone battery isn't getting drained and the stream isn't interrupted by activities on your phone. The stream is also cleaner becuase it is a direct feed from the source not your phone. So if you have a good wifi connection;no stuttering.

*you can switch control of the stream to any device that has Chromecast app. So you can play content from any device in your house connected to the network to the TV. Get 4 and you can send content from any device to any TV in the home.

It works wit androids, PC'S, and IOS devices.

It's tiny, really tiny.

It's cheap. Really cheap.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
I have been testing out my ChromeCast all morning. This thing is borderline magical. This is what tech is all about. I have tried all the existing apps from the phone and they are seamless. Just put the Chromecast app on your phone and any app that supports it like Netflix and Google play Musice get an added icon for casting. Click the Cast icon and its playing on your TV.
For Computers Just download the chromecast App and your good to go. For apps that are not native, you can use the Chrome browser and push your screen to the Chrome cast. Here is the slick part that isn't even talked up by Google. I keep all my media on a server, my home videos, pictures, music and my movie collection are all accessible from the netwrok. Well Google has made it possible for that collection to be shown/played on every TV in the house. You can just drag and drop files into the Chrome browser and it decodes and plays them on the fly. Hit the Cast icon in the corner of the browser and it streams content to the TV. I have tried it my wired PCs and Laptops with MP4s, MKVs, MP3s, JPEGs, PNG, and others. In all cases it is flawless. I am getting one for every TV. It's a must have for any techie. BTW - As I type, I am streaming "A Bugs Life" to the kids TV in their room from this PC in my office; it's a beautiful thing.

Do you see this working with my mediaserver setup??

I have a FreeBSD server running mediatomb.. I can see this share/server on my PS3 as a media server, can stream just fine..

So when I put the chromecast on a spare tv in another room, will the chromcast see the media server?? or do i have to manage the server via a laptop/browser?

I have the freebsd server running samba, but do not see that share on my laptop/mac.. not sure why.. either way.. i cant wait to get this thing in my hands.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Do you see this working with my mediaserver setup??

I have a FreeBSD server running mediatomb.. I can see this share/server on my PS3 as a media server, can stream just fine..

So when I put the chromecast on a spare tv in another room, will the chromcast see the media server?? or do i have to manage the server via a laptop/browser?

I have the freebsd server running samba, but do not see that share on my laptop/mac.. not sure why.. either way.. i cant wait to get this thing in my hands.

Since there is really no UI for Chromecast I don't think it will work. I have a WHS box and I run PS3 media server. Chromecast doesn't look for those files, it expects a client/device to give it instructions. It will then stream from a Web service or the device itself.I would say try to figure out why the shares are not showing up on the laptop; they should. Once you see the files you should be able to drag them into Chrome browser and it will do the rest.