video playback

tx_taz35

Reaction score
So, I am having problems with my videos playing back on my phone. The sound comes through great but the pictures is slow and choppy. I use Act 1 video player as well as the gallery player and they both do the same thing. Any suggestions?

illmatic

Reaction score
i think the slowness is due to the frames per second, maybe it is higher than what the droid can keep up with

OP
T

tx_taz35

Reaction score
they were playing fine before this just happen all the sudden while i was watching one

edgreenberg

Reaction score
me too <sigh>

About a week ago, I suddenly started experiencing slow, choppy playback of mp4 videos on my Motorola Droid (Verizon) running 2.1. It reliably plays back video at about a 1:3 time ratio. About three seconds to cover one second of content.

So far...

• They are equally slow whether stored on the SD card or streamed from the web. When downloaded to the SD card, they download promptly.
  • The same videos that were normal previously are slow now.
  • I've rebooted.
  • I've pulled the battery for full reboot. (I haven't "reformatted" the device. That would be very difficult to recover from.
  • I've killed all sorts of service processes that usually run.
  • I uninstalled several recently installed programs, including "swype keyboard"
The problem exists when the video is launched from the browser, from the ASTRO file manager or from the YouTube app. I downloaded a second video app called "Cinema" and had exactly the same result.

Nothing changes this. It's consistent and reproducible.

Anybody else having this issue?

destinydmm

Reaction score
I am have the same issues. Anyone think it could be the flash for 2.1 ¿

edgreenberg

Reaction score
Was able to resolve this by removing apps

I was able to resolve this by removing apps. I removed about 1/2 dozen of the most recent apps, including one called "Quick Settings" and the problem disappeared. Later, I replaced Quick Settings, and the problem did not reappear, so I can't swear as to what app was the issue, but QS was the only thing that did low level system stuff.

I recommend removing some apps, back to when the problem started.

Look for things that mess with the device -- things that have more serious permissions.

I also recommend being more deliberate than I was, and do some testing in between app removal. You might have to reboot after removing apps.

D

dvdcatalyst

I was able to resolve this by removing apps. I removed about 1/2 dozen of the most recent apps

This sounds like a memory issue.

The players mentioned in this thread, Act1, Cinema and Gallery (as well as all player that play MP4 files) use the hardware in the phone to play video files, and for smooth playback, as well as to reduce battery-usage, they preload (buffer) a small portion of the video in memory. If by removing apps (making more memory available) the video playback improves, it basically means that the available memory to buffer the video was not enough.

Do you remember how much memory you had left before you started to remove apps?