Vertical pictures rotating sideways in MMS and Facebook

Megsy222

Reaction score
Hey, is anyone else experiencing this problem? When I take a picture in portrait mode and try to upload it to Facebook or send it as an MMS, it rotates the picture sideways. I went to the Verizon store to ask them about it and the sales guy's Droid did the same thing. Anyone know of a fix or future fix for this problem?

3turner

Reaction score
I would venture to guess that the Droid's internal camera software is writing into the EXIF of the photo that the top of the photo is in a landscape orientation and not portrait orientation as you took it. If you have photo editing software, you can change that or even try in Windows Explorer, right click on photo, rotate clock-wise or counter clock-wise...it should save it in that orientation.

OP
M

Megsy222

Reaction score
The problem for me is not rotating the pictures on my computer.

The problem is that when I send an MMS to someone, they have to turn their phone sideways to view the picture. Also when I upload it to Facebook I have to go there on my laptop and manually turn the picture. This is frustrating to me as I'm not always near my laptop when I upload a picture.

3turner

Reaction score
Which way are you holding the phone when taking a vertical? I just tried a couple shots holding camera button down/right and the shot stayed vertical. I also checked an old shot I had sent to my wife on her phone through MMS and it is the right way up.

If all else fails, before sending your photo...go to the gallery, long press on the photo thumbnail, select rotate, then rotate right or rotate left.

Other than that, unless someone out there writes and publishes a better camera software, it's all you can do.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It's a known issue....search for the thread...

bradleonard

Reaction score
It may be a known issue but it STILL has not been corrected. I am also looking for a fix. Someone suggested simply rotating the picture in the phone gallery. This is not a fix, when you rotate the pic in the gallery it appears to be the correct orientation but when you upload the pic to facebook or download the picture to your computer it reverts to the incorrect oreintation until rotated on the computer or facebook again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This issue goes back to the dawn of time. Haha! Same problem with the orginal Droid. My only fix was to try and make sure I take pics in landscape. If all else fails, it's quicker/easier to crop a pic than it is to monkey with lapsing it up on the computer/etc...

Sent from my DROIDX

opabob

Reaction score
I've had some luck with photo editor apps getting orientation right for Facebook. Try viewing in PicSay Pro for example, and let it do the share to Facebook.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I've had some luck with photo editor apps getting orientation right for Facebook. Try viewing in PicSay Pro for example, and let it do the share to Facebook.
thank you! dancedroid

PicSay worked for me.

HeavySi

Reaction score
The PicSay workaround seems to work for the Samsung Moment (Sprint) too.

Is it safe to assume that the crux of this issue is in the phone's Gallery app?

Last edited:

futurebond

Reaction score
Crop

I had this same problem!

I discovered if you edit photo and crop (even the smallest amount of crop possible will work) then share to facebook it will be vertical.

Hope this helps!

mhansell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
I have been able to download pictures to Facebook worth no problem. ...Suddenly they're are all downloading side ways...any help ?????