Verizon to have 'up to' 5 handsets for LTE by next May

J

JohnDroid

verizon_lte_network.jpg

Verizon, largely regarded as having the best cell-phone network in the US has stated that they will have 'up to' 5 handsets available by next May that will be both CDMA and LTE compatible.

LTE is the next generation technology that Verizon (and other carriers) are building out that will compete with 4G next generation networks by other carriers.

Ultimately this simply means more choice and speed for consumers and increases the capabilities that our cell-phones can offer (streaming television, video conferencing, etc)

You can read the full article by Engadget at this link: Verizon to offer 'up to' five LTE handsets by next May, Android tablets from HTC and friends -- Engadget

Droid101

Reaction score
5 handsets by may, huh? I wonder when the first one will be released...

Nothing till summer 2011 as stated by Verizon so they may just start pushing them out early March to late may. Nothing will come out in August seeing how the 4g network wont go live till after that

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
off topic: with 4g coming out... will traditional wired high speed internet connections become obselete (cable, fios, dsl, etc...)? food for thought

Droid101

Reaction score
off topic: with 4g coming out... will traditional wired high speed internet connections become obselete (cable, fios, dsl, etc...)? food for thought

I say yes but not for awhile look how long it took to make digital the norm we had analog for awhile. So I say it will take time for it to become the norm and make it obselete

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I say yes but not for awhile look how long it took to make digital the norm we had analog for awhile. So I say it will take time for it to become the norm and make it obselete

right. i know the more "premium" wired connections greatly outperform 4g speeds... but compared to the average high speed plan, 4g is faster...

for example, i have RoadRunner... $45/mo... 6mbps down (800 k/s) 600kbps up (80 k/s)... even now, my 3g upload speeds are better...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is from another article:

Tablet computers coming
McAdam said he would start selling tablet computers, which also run on Google's Android software, to compete with Apple's iPad in the second half of this year, with most coming in the fourth quarter.

These devices will initially run on Verizon's existing CDMA network, but consumers will be able to upgrade them to work on the LTE network, which McAdam said would be fast enough to download a full high-definition movie in less than a minute.
If they start selling Tablets by the end of this year, that can be upgraded/updated to LTE at a later date, I think they can sell 4G phones later this year too.

doublejack

Reaction score
I find it amusing how so many here are quick to jump from phone to phone when, in my opinion, there's no real incentive to do so. For example, the Droid to Incredible hop. Is going to an Incredible an upgrade? Nobody will convince me it is. The two phones are so very similar.

Now, take a feature like LTE. That's a legitimate reason to make a switch. I won't be hurrying to dump my phone next summer, but with LTE rolling out within a year that will be one of the things I look for when it is time for me to upgrade.

right. i know the more "premium" wired connections greatly outperform 4g speeds... but compared to the average high speed plan, 4g is faster...

for example, i have RoadRunner... $45/mo... 6mbps down (800 k/s) 600kbps up (80 k/s)... even now, my 3g upload speeds are better...

Wireless will always be facing two challenges

1. it will always be two steps behind wired in terms of speed. Your example compares a middle to low end wired connection to a high end wireless one. Yeah, I know RoadRunner calls it "high speed", but it is old tech that has been crippled. Docsis 2.0 is capable of ~16mbps down and it usually capped at ~1.5 or 2mbps up. So at its max it is mediocre, and you're only getting a fraction of what it can do. It is no surprise, then, if high end wireless is faster than crippled, old wired.

Take FIOS from Verizon. That is sold at speeds of 15 down / 5 up. 3G nor 4G can compete. Docsis 3.0 has been rolled out in some areas, and that is wicked fast. People in my area are getting 50 or 60mbps down (and sometimes nearly 100mpbs) and 10+ mbps up. It'll be years before wireless is that fast, and when it finally does reach those speeds wired connections will still be way faster.

2. Saturation. There is a finite amount of electromagnetic spectrum that can be utilized to send wireless signals. As more people get smartphones and other devices that send data through the air, we come that much closer to running out of spectrum. Couple that with ever increasing file sizes and transfer speeds, and it becomes apparent that wired connections aren't going anywhere any time soon.

For the foreseeable future, people will continue to use wired internet connections at home and work, and only rely upon wireless when they're out and about.

mjs31

Reaction score
I find it amusing how so many here are quick to jump from phone to phone when, in my opinion, there's no real incentive to do so. For example, the Droid to Incredible hop. Is going to an Incredible an upgrade? Nobody will convince me it is. The two phones are so very similar.

Now, take a feature like LTE. That's a legitimate reason to make a switch. I won't be hurrying to dump my phone next summer, but with LTE rolling out within a year that will be one of the things I look for when it is time for me to upgrade.

Wireless will always be facing two challenges

1. it will always be two steps behind wired in terms of speed. Your example compares a middle to low end wired connection to a high end wireless one. Yeah, I know RoadRunner calls it "high speed", but it is old tech that has been crippled. Docsis 2.0 is capable of ~16mbps down and it usually capped at ~1.5 or 2mbps up. So at its max it is mediocre, and you're only getting a fraction of what it can do. It is no surprise, then, if high end wireless is faster than crippled, old wired.

Take FIOS from Verizon. That is sold at speeds of 15 down / 5 up. 3G nor 4G can compete. Docsis 3.0 has been rolled out in some areas, and that is wicked fast. People in my area are getting 50 or 60mbps down (and sometimes nearly 100mpbs) and 10+ mbps up. It'll be years before wireless is that fast, and when it finally does reach those speeds wired connections will still be way faster.

2. Saturation. There is a finite amount of electromagnetic spectrum that can be utilized to send wireless signals. As more people get smartphones and other devices that send data through the air, we come that much closer to running out of spectrum. Couple that with ever increasing file sizes and transfer speeds, and it becomes apparent that wired connections aren't going anywhere any time soon.

For the foreseeable future, people will continue to use wired internet connections at home and work, and only rely upon wireless when they're out and about.

This and the damn assumption that 4g will cover everybody. Just not happening.