Verizon plan change question

smokiedabong

Reaction score
How often can I change my Verizon plan ? The only thing that I liked on ATT was the rollover feature . My month-to-month minute usage varies widely , last month I had hundreds of minutes left and this month already reached the limit with two more weeks to go .
If I change my plan now to unlimited , will it take effect immediately or I will have unlimited minutes only after 2 weeks when my current billing cycle ends?
And at the end of the month can I switch back ? How often can I do this ?

skiahh

Reaction score
It'll change immediately and cover this month.

If you wait until after the month, you might get them to cover it by paying the difference between the plans, but it's not guaranteed. I was able to do this once, but I wouldn't press my luck a second time.

toastedoats

Reaction score
It is immediate, but they will pro-rate the your previous plan to the change date

so if your on a 1000minute plan half way through your month then change to unlimited, you will have a 500minute allowance for that first half of the month and the unlimited starts immediately for the future

OP
smokiedabong

smokiedabong

Reaction score
So if I'm on a 1000 minutes plan , half way through I already used 900 minutes and then change to unlimited I only have 500 minutes allowance for that first half and they will charge the other 400 at 0.4 cents ( extra 160 $ ) ?

Brokn68

Reaction score
It is immediate, but they will pro-rate the your previous plan to the change date

so if your on a 1000minute plan half way through your month then change to unlimited, you will have a 500minute allowance for that first half of the month and the unlimited starts immediately for the future

Yup they prorate on any upgrade.

JT3

Reaction score
Well, they're fairly flexible if you're upgrading. For example, my daughter went WAAAAAAAAY over on texting one month, so we upgraded her texting. They actually went back and applied the new plan to the previous month, and credited us the overages.

When they say they're prorating, they're usually talking about the fees, not the minutes. In other words, if you have a $50 plan, and upgrade to a $70 plan at exactly the middle of the month, they'll prorate the difference, meaning you pay $25 for two weeks of the original plan, and $35 for two weeks of the new plan, for a total of $60.

If you're friendly, and if you're upgrading your plan, they'll usually do what's best for you (cost-wise) during the transition month. If you're downgrading, that's a whole different ballgame, and they'll usually prorate based on the exact day you're making the change.

cloud12077

Reaction score
So if I'm on a 1000 minutes plan , half way through I already used 900 minutes and then change to unlimited I only have 500 minutes allowance for that first half and they will charge the other 400 at 0.4 cents ( extra 160 $ ) ?

Unstead of changing your plan in the middle of a bill cycle which becomes a confusing bill and possibly overages.
If your thinking about changing your plan you can always have them backdate it. What that means is they will put you on the plan you want as if you were on it on the beginning of your bill cycle.

When they say they're prorating, they're usually talking about the fees, not the minutes. In other words, if you have a $50 plan, and upgrade to a $70 plan at exactly the middle of the month, they'll prorate the difference, meaning you pay $25 for two weeks of the original plan, and $35 for two weeks of the new plan, for a total of $60.

Yes and no, the prorates are cost effective yes, but the minutes will still be based on a pool of minutes. To acurately determine your minutes if you change in the middle of a bill cycle you have to:
1. Determine your bill cycle.
2. Figure the days between your current bill cycle (means some months have 28 (29),30 and 31 days between cycles).
3. How many days into your cycle are you.

Now it is a simple fraction (days into cycle / total days of cycle). Example If my bill cycle starts on the 15th, I have 30 days between March and Aprils bill cycle. Assume it is the 24th of March with means I am 10 days in. I will get 10/30 or 1/3 of my total 900 minutes giving me 300 usable minutes during that period.

Again this example is only stating if you change your plan or cancel service.

Last edited: