Verizon One, overall thoughts?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just noticed something on the BB site device compare page that Verizon doesn't tell you: The One is listed as 4G only, while the X has 3G/4G. Where I live in Wyoming I only have to travel a couple miles in any direction to be out of 4G range. So what happens with a 4G only phone that doesn't have a 4G signal?
I'm fairly certain I've seen both the 4G and 3G icons on mine. I'll investigate and report back if I learn anything!

EDIT: still researching but I can confirm that the Verizon variant comes with a dual LTE/CDMA radio. One downside is you can't manually turn LTE off, but I'm pretty sure the CDMA radio allows 3G when 4G isn't available. I'd also add that anything that BB puts on their comparison tool should be taken with a grain of salt!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Was in my office today (where I barely get signal) and noticed that my 4G icon switched to 3G -- some more evidence that the One should work fine even when there's no 4G around.

Screenshot_2013-10-31-08-51-48.png

EDIT: just noticed "Extended Network" -- was I data roaming?

-Matt

tbolted

Reaction score
Was in my office today (where I barely get signal) and noticed that my 4G icon switched to 3G -- some more evidence that the One should work fine even when there's no 4G around.

EDIT: just noticed "Extended Network" -- was I data roaming?

-Matt

Sounds like it, but it also sounds like the One supports CDMA, too.

Thanks for checking.

cmurphy81

Reaction score
The one definitely supports cdma. I only get 3g at my house. Plus if you think about it big red would never release a device that won't work on their entire network.