Verizon Lowering Return Time To 14 Days

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Like I said over at the AT&T forum; with all the good news we are receiving from CES, we should’ve expected some bad news in the mix. After changing their policy for two year contract holders, Verizon still has some more changes in store. Verizon has trimmed your return opportunity to figure out if you want to keep your new device from a good 30 days’ time, down to 14 days for every new purchase. This means you have only 2 weeks to figure out if you want the phone or not, and to be honest, that doesn’t seem too bad. For the most part I see this as a way to launch devices at a faster pace without the worry of returns being used as a new phone replacement every month.

For Example; I bought a G2 from T-mobile, and a month later (35 days) the HD7 came out and I wanted that to replace my G2, but it was too late. So I bought the HD7 without contract, and then a month later (40 days) the Nexus S came out and once more I wanted that as well. They don’t want people to use a device, see a newly released one and jump on it, so they are limiting the time frame.

What are your feelings towards this change?

Source (Verizon to cut return policy to 14 days effective Jan 16th | Android Central)

Last edited by a moderator:

alitke

Reaction score
The thing that sucks is that Verizon knows they have the best network, the most money, and the power to do whatever they want. Its sad b/c Verizon could do some real good for everyone but instead they keep sticking it to us.

If they tier data, which everyone is sure they will do, remove the 1 year upgrade, lower the return policy, and charge for 4G they will be a worse deal than any other carrier but b/c they have coverage that dominates everyone no one will say anything. Just stinks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dont chase the hype and you will be fine.

Beka27

Reaction score
Some people legitimately don't know if a phone is the right phone for them... and I think especially coming to a smartphone (if you've never had one) and an OS you have no experience with, the full 30 days might be necessary to help people determine once and for all if they made the right decision. I knew within 3 seconds that I loved my phone, but I had also played with it quite a bit before making the purchase, so it was already somewhat familiar. I think this time restriction is ridiculous. As it is, you could only exchange one time, so it's not like people were getting a new phone every month.

p3ng

Reaction score
What will this mean for return policies of stores like Walmart, Best Buy and other multi-carrier dealers?

It could be complicated to say phones have a 30 day return period then have restrictions based on the carrier.

Beka27

Reaction score
^^^Good question. Do other stores have to "follow" the VZW policies? I really don't know. I have only purchased phones from corp. stores.

azules9780

Reaction score
If you can't figure out if you like a phone or not in 14 days, then something is truly wrong with you. Either you're not using it enough to decide or you're just whining for some crappy reason. How about this? Be happy with the fact that Verizon allows us to return a device if we don't like it. They could be like Apple and say that we have to spend huge amounts of money up front to have a decent phone and not be able to insure or decide whether we like it or not.

Seriously, if you're complaining that 14 days is not plenty of time, then you're just whining.

edbdroid

Reaction score
What will this mean for return policies of stores like Walmart, Best Buy and other multi-carrier dealers?

It could be complicated to say phones have a 30 day return period then have restrictions based on the carrier.

Reseller's policies are (and have been) just that - the RESELLER'S policies. They have historically ranged from "too bad, you bought it and now you're screwed" from your typical storefront reseller to the corporate policies of the bigboxers like Walmart and BestBuy. Those resellers have their own return policies, and when purchasing *any* item from *any* seller, it's in your best interests to know the terms of the purchase.

GeneRs

Reaction score

Reseller's policies are (and have been) just that - the RESELLER'S policies. They have historically ranged from "too bad, you bought it and now you're screwed" from your typical storefront reseller to the corporate policies of the bigboxers like Walmart and BestBuy. Those resellers have their own return policies, and when purchasing *any* item from *any* seller, it's in your best interests to know the terms of the purchase.

That helps! Doesn't really answer the question but thanx for th advice.

Droid187

Reaction score
Doesnt bother me much because I think spending 500+ on a phone is retarded when you can wait a few months and the price will be half that, a little more and its 1/4 that so the return time doesnt bother me. Now as far as getting gouged to the gills on data plans and service plans and having at time some piss poor customer service when, lets face it, they are the best service provider out there I think they could maybe work on their customer loyalty skills and quit sticking it to the little guys when the economy sucks. If I could go to another carrier and have the same deal I would jump in with both feet, the same goes for microsoft. Typical corporation monopoly gouging at its finest and I think its dirty.

Emmexx

Reaction score
Combine this with the rumor/fact of Verizon changing the upgrade time to 2 yr from 1 and it appears the only thing Verizon wants to do is take away from their subscribers. Couple those with no release date on new high end devices and Verizon looks like it is going backwards in terms of Customer relations and becoming stale in regards to handsets. Maybe only my opinion, but I believe it to be valid.

Droid187

Reaction score
the new every 2 still doesnt allow you to get the phone you want only the ones they offer. Been like that for years. They may offer you a decent discount on say the newest droid or whatever but you wont get it free. Plus a nice 2 year sentence to go along with it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Combine this with the rumor/fact of Verizon changing the upgrade time to 2 yr from 1 and it appears the only thing Verizon wants to do is take away from their subscribers. Couple those with no release date on new high end devices and Verizon looks like it is going backwards in terms of Customer relations and becoming stale in regards to handsets. Maybe only my opinion, but I believe it to be valid.

Let's say that this Forum is 1% of all users. I have no idea if that's true or not but let's just say that it is.

From what I've seen in regards to people deliberately returning perfectly good phones for no reason what so ever, I can understand why they made the change in policy.

On the other hand however, I am a person who on two occasions has exchanged a phone beyond the 14 day period. So I can understand why Verizon did it, yet I also see how for some people it may take beyond two weeks.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .They could be like Apple and say that we have to spend huge amounts of money up front to have a decent phone and not be able to insure or decide whether we like it or not.

Seriously, if you're complaining that 14 days is not plenty of time, then you're just whining.

You mean this policy? Lots of reasons to prefer Android over Apple. You don't need FUD.

iPhone Return Policy
If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 to request a return. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.