Verizon 4G rollout reaffirmed, thanks to leaked docs

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2vkb0xz.jpg

A few days ago we reported that on July 18th, Verizon would be updating its systems in preparation for its 4G launch. And we are excited to report that today these updates did indeed take place, according to internal screenshots (via Android Central). As of today, all Verizon systems will have the capability to input LTE handsets. The only question left is, when?

Also, Engadget received an independent confirmation of their own, accompanied by a leaked internal "reference guide", showcasing the highlights of Verizon's upcoming 4G network (LTE technology). As we already know, Verizon expects to begin its roll-out of LTE by the end of 2010. And according to the leaked document, over 100 million subscribers will be covered by that date. Also, 4G subscribers should expect 5-12Mbps downstream and 2-5Mbps upload speeds. And most interestingly, Verizon expects its 4G network to have a latency as low as 30ms. In comparison, according to Verizon, its 3G-network latency is approx. four times that (or 120ms for the arithmetically challenged). What does this mean for the average end-user? Much quicker loading times for internet-based applications, that's what!

30idd1j.jpg

This is certainly great news, as Verizon seems to be sticking well to self-imposed deadlines, and as such, we shouldn't expect any delay for its 4G roll-out. However, don't expect to see much of a roll-out until November; as rumored a couple weeks back, Verizon may be saving its 4G unveiling to Black Friday.

And how does Verizon's LTE network stack up against its competitors? Take a quick look-see:
2njhyr8.jpg

According to this (certainly unbiased report), Verizon will be sporting the fastest overall 4G service, and unlike its current CDMA 3G system, will meet the global roaming "voice standards." I wonder what T-Mobile and its purported 21Mbps downstream HSPA+ network have to say about this.

Check out the complete leaked "reference guide here

Source Android Central, Engadget
Thanks, Shadez

Last edited:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
and so it begins.........let the fight for 4g supremecy start.......I can't wait to get my hands on a 4G Droid what ever device that may be

Xpain

Reaction score
See?? This is why the extra $39.99 I paid for my Droid X so I could only have a 1 year contract is making me very happy. Next year by mid April I should be able to upgrade phone again... dancedroid

Ice_Cold

Reaction score
So does this mean that the new devices will use sim cards? And does this mean no more burn phones when you travel abroad?

Cloppy

Reaction score
I would like to see how the latency can get up to 30ms. Thats not bad at all for a wireless device.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is what I am holding out for LTE and 2Ghz *fingers crossed*

S

scrub175

this is interesting news. now can I hold off on the X for a 4G handset in a few short months?

S

scrub175

is the accelerated roll out schedule to help facilitate testing of a new phone brand?

Moreno

Reaction score
The leaked document isn't a document. It is Eroes. This is a system we use to activate, change phones, upgrade plans, and features. Yes the 4G part of it was recently added as our EROES just got updated. This doesnt confirm Verizon will release this year, and the 4G fact sheet is from Verizons INFO center. I have a copy of it at home.

Hot Sauce

Reaction score
Wow, really can't wait to see what phones will be available come October of '11. Will we be able to grandfather our 30 dollar unlimited plans into this new network?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow... 30ms latentcy is L.O.W.

That's like you and I standing, say twenty paces apart, and saying "hi".. With 30ms latentcy, you would hear that through a phone before you heard the other person speaking that live through the air..