Using RSD Lite to flash an SBF file -- correctly

Potemkinbuster

Reaction score
Did you perform step 9 correctly?

9.) So far this has all been routine and you're thinking "so what?". This next part is what will get you a result of PASS instead of a warning about destroying your phone. After clicking Start the flashing process goes through several distinct steps. At some point there will be a bit of a delay with RSD Lite showing a status of "Phone[0000]: Waiting for re-enumeration". After that is when the actual flashing happens. When the flashing has completed, RSD Lite is going to issue a "reboot-bootloader" command to your phone. Unfortunately the Droid does not appear to implement the reboot-bootloader command correctly and does a normal reboot instead. If you don't "catch the boot" by holding up on the dpad key the OS will boot. Just before sending the reboot instruction to your phone the status in RSD Lite will change to "Phone[0000]: Phone is being rebooted". On your phone the screen will change to "SW Update Complete" (unless the message has been changed by the person who built the SBF) and your phone will reboot shortly thereafter. You want to be already holding the dpad key up when this happens. If you followed the instructions for Step 8 you have pre-read this step and knew to be ready for this. If not, your phone is probably already rebooted into the OS. If you miss it and the phone boots the OS it's no big deal (unless the instructions for the particular SBF you're flashing say otherwise). If that happens, let the phone finish its boot, and then just do a shutdown like normal. Then press/hold up on the dpad key and power back on. RSD Lite is patient and will wait.

10.) You should now be looking at the bootloader on the phone, and RSD Lite should still be saying "Phone[0000]: Phone is being rebooted". If too much time has passed RSD Lite may be saying "Please manually boot the phone". The "Progress" value on the screen will keep incrementing, and at some point before, or at, 100% the result should change to "PASS". You can now click Close to exit RSD Lite without getting any disturbing warnings.

Regardless, your phone will not blow up and should have been successfully flashed. I guess, a week later, you've already figured that out, huh?
I would, but it wouldn't let me.
The phone stays connected saying "Updating" or "update in progress" and then after a few minutes it suddenly disconnects but the same black screen is shown on the phone (the "update in progress") and then the "FAILED" sign appears on RSD Lite.

I don't know what's wrong with it D:

Reaction score
haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, but thank you. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

cosmicnexus

Reaction score
RSD flash success, but still "encryption unsuccessfull" error...

Droid Razr Maxx... bricked by recent Motorola system update, slightly out of warranty, was never rooted.

Was able to finally get the RSDLite flash to register "PASS". However, my phone still winds up displaying the "Encryption unsuccessful..." error message when I try to boot it normally.

The SPF I used that finally succeeded in getting a "PASS" was with version 4.1.2 (cdma_spyder_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16_1ff.xml.zip).

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated hugely!

Thanks,
Simeon