Using Flash already?

tehpriest

Reaction score
I am confused here. I always thought the BBC iPlayer and Youtube both used .flv to stream their video. But isn't .flv a form of Flash? If so why can someone not use one of these players to play other Flash video/audio streams? Are we using Flash already or am I completely wrong (I expect the latter) :)

mchoffa

Reaction score
To put it simply, Flash is used as a front end player for flv, but other video players can also play flv video files (VLC, etc). As you also know, flash is used for much more than video (music, games, horrible websites).

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
Thank you. So could an app like the iPlayer/Yotube player not be used to play flash content? Say an embedded video that by clicking on it would open the player? We could ignore all the adds simply by not clicking them yet still enjoy the video/audio streams. Or again, am I not understanding this right?

backlash

Reaction score
To put it simply, Flash is used as a front end player for flv, but other video players can also play flv video files (VLC, etc). As you also know, flash is used for much more than video (music, games, horrible websites).
This is funny, but so true!!