using droid in WiFi mode

Reaction score
i have been using the wifi mode just because i have lackluster service in my area. but i am wondering about the android market. download work go fast but searching the market laggs horribly. so my question is do some apps not work with wifi ( like tfln and fml and a few of the online based games)

gatewayad

Reaction score
I have not had any problems running any program that i can run on 3g on wifi, sounds like your connection is dropping

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
so would that be a issue with the phone it self? i called about a week ago about my eris having better service in my area compared to the moto droid. and did the pull battery and hard reset and nothing seemed to change.

gdgtgrl

Reaction score
Are there advantages to running wifi over 3G say, when I'm at home and have access to wifi?

handyfiremedic

Reaction score
Thanks

Are there advantages to running wifi over 3G say, when I'm at home and have access to wifi?

I'm curious about this also... Which has less battery drain?

It is my understanding that wifi uses up more battery because it is always ''searching'' for the wifi vs g3 which is always ''there'' - at least that is my experience :D

Thanks. Last phone (BB Curve) didn't have wifi. Still learning ins/outs of Droid.

Jeepers

Reaction score
I'm curious about this also... Which has less battery drain?

It is my understanding that wifi uses up more battery because it is always ''searching'' for the wifi vs g3 which is always ''there'' - at least that is my experience :D

Thanks. Last phone (BB Curve) didn't have wifi. Still learning ins/outs of Droid.

I don't leave wifi on often- only when i may need it - some things down load faster on wifi than g3 - just depends

masters

Reaction score
WIFI Uses LESS BATTERY, (unless it's not connected and searching).

Also if you work in a place with NO Cell service, it will drain your battery fast because it is searching for a signal.

So WIFI is better for battery over 3g overall..

If you have service but no WIFI turn off the wifi so it doesn't search.

If you have no service and no WiFi, put it in flight mode...

handyfiremedic

Reaction score
Contradictory Info

WIFI Uses LESS BATTERY, (unless it's not connected and searching).

Also if you work in a place with NO Cell service, it will drain your battery fast because it is searching for a signal.

So WIFI is better for battery over 3g overall..

If you have service but no WIFI turn off the wifi so it doesn't search.

If you have no service and no WiFi, put it in flight mode...

You're the "senior Droid" so I accept your information. While home should I use airplane mode with wifi manually turned on? I have Google Voice so I can use it for calls. What do you think?

Jeepers

Reaction score
Sorry - me bad - I should have been more specific - when I am home - and have wifi available - i use wifi mode - but when I leave my home - I put it in g3 - to save battery because wife is always searching in that circumstance - there are very few wifi places available in some areas - so yes - it will save battery to shut wifi off when you know it is not available.........

handyfiremedic

Reaction score
Sorry - me bad - I should have been more specific - when I am home - and have wifi available - i use wifi mode - but when I leave my home - I put it in g3 - to save battery because wife is always searching in that circumstance - there are very few wifi places available in some areas - so yes - it will save battery to shut wifi off when you know it is not available.........

NP Thanks again to you both.