Using a Mac to root

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I've read people having that problem downloaded it from safari, I don't use safari so I never had any problem with that (or maybe that's a windows problem? I safari's problem is that it automatically unzips the contents). It also helps to check the update.zip file in Astro before rebooting to make sure.

Your correct about Safari. I used Firxfox and the file now says "update.zip"

I'm still confused about doing the root without a computer and not needing a backup. I need to do more reading!

Mike

52brandon

Reaction score
I rooted mine all from my phone without sholes. Just DL the update.zip, put on root of /sdcard. Turn phone off, hold power and x until you get the /!\ screen, press volume up then camera and apply update.zip bam, rooted

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night, I used Matth3w's instructions and rooted my phone. Thanks to Matt's instructions and his support I successfully installed BB.

I want to JonKyu for directing me to use Firefox and not Safari. That helped my confidence.

This is forum is an excellent resource for anyone trying to learn or looking/needing assistance.

I can't thank all of you for your help.

Mike

spiff72

Reaction score
Last night, I used Matth3w's instructions and rooted my phone. Thanks to Matt's instructions and his support I successfully installed BB.

I want to JonKyu for directing me to use Firefox and not Safari. That helped my confidence.

This is forum is an excellent resource for anyone trying to learn or looking/needing assistance.

I can't thank all of you for your help.

Mike

Hello,

Quick suggestion about Safari. If you don't want it to automatically unzip files (or mount disk images) after downloading, you can go to Safari>Preferences and on the General Tab, uncheck the box where it says "Open 'safe' files after downloading".

This is probably too late, but when I downloaded the update.zip file, it shows up in my finder as "update.zip".

I plan to root my phone pretty soon, and I will be trying it on my Mac too! :)

Jeff

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick suggestion about Safari. If you don't want it to automatically unzip files (or mount disk images) after downloading, you can go to Safari>Preferences and on the General Tab, uncheck the box where it says "Open 'safe' files after downloading".

This is probably too late, but when I downloaded the update.zip file, it shows up in my finder as "update.zip".

I plan to root my phone pretty soon, and I will be trying it on my Mac too!

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I had not know about that particular setting. Good luck with your root. Are you going to follow Matth3w's instructions?

Mike

spiff72

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I had not know about that particular setting. Good luck with your root. Are you going to follow Matth3w's instructions?

Mike

Not sure yet. I might, just so I get the experience of using the terminal commands. On the other hand I was considering following the guides at rootyourdroid.info, or the video instructions that use the droidroothelper app...

So many options...

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Not sure yet. I might, just so I get the experience of using the terminal commands. On the other hand I was considering following the guides at rootyourdroid.info, or the video instructions that use the droidroothelper app...

So many options...

Yes there are lots of options. Thats why this phone and OS are gaining in popularity. Have fun.

Mike

miamidroid

Reaction score
actually I use safari and firefox and they both work the same. Atleast I have the default setting where it throws every download to the download folder. When you go to the download folder just right click on the file then click "get info" and then look at where it says name and extension and make sure "hide extension" is not selected.

Siel

Reaction score
I can confirm what some of the others have said. Using the bugless beast guide from Matth3w's signature I rooted, flashed SPrecovery, and installed bugless beast from my Mac with no change in procedure. I used firefox to download the files and for some reason it always unzipped the file but left a copy of the zip file intact. So I just used the .zip files and everything went great :). btw great job Matth3w, this is my first smartphone let alone android phone. I have been studying rooting and roms for quite awhile, but i never thought I could do it.

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
actually I use safari and firefox and they both work the same. Atleast I have the default setting where it throws every download to the download folder. When you go to the download folder just right click on the file then click "get info" and then look at where it says name and extension and make sure "hide extension" is not selected.

Glad yours worked. I have SnowLeopard (10.6.2) what are you running? I had no problem downloading any file, with Safari. All files went into the download folder but non had a file extension. I opened in Finder and clicked "get info" but nothing changed. The hide extension box was NOT clicked.

Since my OP, I learned from, spiff72 (see his comments above), that I can change a preference setting in Safari which will display the extension.

Mike