Use your Droid for IRC?

radioz

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using their Droid for IRC (internet relay chat)?

If so, what application do you use? How well does it work?

radsaq

Reaction score
AndChat works well, and has a reasonable feature set.

NVash

Reaction score
Can you download files off IRC using that as well?

billyidle

Reaction score
I haven't tried or seen anything with DCC sends or anything, so I'm not sure on file sharing. AndChat works great, but has issues with 3g, I can't ever connect to any network with 3g on, it works fine with wifi though. This is a known issue with the AndChat developers, however, there is still confusion on whether its the network causing the problem, or the program itself.
If you absolutely have to use IRC over 3g because you have no wifi near you, fIRC has connected fine for me over 3g AND wifi.
I prefer AndChat, but I'm not always around a hotspot when I need to access IRC.

Here is the link to the discussion on 3G and IRC over at AndChat: http://groups.google.com/group/andchat/browse_thread/thread/363009a29b735385

Last edited:
OP
R

radioz

Reaction score
Thanks for the AndChat suggestion.

I just installed it and it seems to work great.

I just logged into freenode using 3G (wireless disabled) and it seems to be working fine for me. Anyone else having success/problems with 3G?

Anomander

Reaction score
andchat user here. works fine got me on wifi and 3g for the undernet servers. I also have not tried to dcc send since I do not believe out will work.

MissAngelaB

Reaction score
Apparently there are a lot of IRC networks that Verizon has blocked on their servers directly. So there are only a few IRC networks you can access, the ones that they deem "will give verizon customers the best user experience" as stated on verizons website by one of their droid x users after he called VZ to complain.

Here is the thread, it was the 2nd from the bottom when I last read it (9th from the top).

Edit ---- This is for accessing IRC servers via 3G (wireless isn't using their servers), going wireless may be the only way to access the other servers until enough people complain, or leave Verizon as a company thus making the cost of maintaining the blocks too high.

Last edited:

Jordan8

Reaction score
Apparently there are a lot of IRC networks that Verizon has blocked on their servers directly. So there are only a few IRC networks you can access, the ones that they deem "will give verizon customers the best user experience" as stated on verizons website by one of their droid x users after he called VZ to complain.

Here is the thread, it was the 2nd from the bottom when I last read it (9th from the top).

Edit ---- This is for accessing IRC servers via 3G (wireless isn't using their servers), going wireless may be the only way to access the other servers until enough people complain, or leave Verizon as a company thus making the cost of maintaining the blocks too high.

I've been using a BNC to connect to a blocked network, seems to be working fine.