Use computer to access internet for droid

welder

Reaction score
Is there tether/app which can be used to connect a pc to the internet as conduit for the droid which has no internet connection.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PDAnet or wireless tether (if youre rooted)

also, welcome to the forums :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

OP: Do you not have WiFi?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there tether/app which can be used to connect a pc to the internet as conduit for the droid which has no internet connection.

Just to be clear; you have a Droid without an internet connection and a PC with an internet connection and you want a way so you can use your Droid for the internet instead of the PC?

Is that correct, or is it the other way round?

Last edited:

motodroid34

Reaction score

Just to be clear; you have a Droid without an internet connection and a PC with an internet connection and you want a connection so you can use your Droid for the internet instead of the PC?

Is that correct, or is it the other way round?

Good question!!!!!
I wish I can help but not sure what exactly he is looking for.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Taking the quote exactly as it's asked, no, however if you have wifi you can connect your dorid to the internet. There is no tethered way to do it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Taking the quote exactly as it's asked, no, however if you have wifi you can connect your dorid to the internet. There is no tethered way to do it.

This is odd as it implies they want to plug the Droid into a PC and use the Droid for the internet with its (comparatively) tiny screen. Wouldn't it be easier just to use the PC?

I agree with takeshi and Hookbill; they'd pretty much have to go with WiFi.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score

This is odd as it implies they want to plug the Droid into a PC and use the Droid for the internet with its (comparatively) tiny screen. Wouldn't it be easier just to use the PC?

I agree with takeshi and Hookbill; they'd pretty much have to go with WiFi.

possible that he wants to download an app on his phone or play an online game

jesmartin

Reaction score
Like me, he wants to know if there is a way to get internet to the droid phone using a pc..? either by plugging in the phone to the pc (USB) or wireless.. No internet on phone, how can i get internet on my phone using a pc?

terra-

Reaction score
This IS possible and I DO it everyday. I do not have 3G access at work so having a way to share my LAN over to my Droid is useful.

I do this by creating an wireless Ad-Hoc network from my laptop and share the internet from LAN to the wireless. This way when the phone connects to the Ad-Hoc there is internet access as well.

Problem 1 - Stock Moto Droid 1 does not support Ad-Hoc. This can be overcome by installing a kernel that supports TUN. I am using Slayhers v1.6 kernels, works great. I have always used UD ROMS, currently 2.4.

Problem 2 - wifi config files must be edited in order for Ad-Hoc network to show up in your wifi network scan. There are some threads out there that explain how to edit such files. Click Here

I just used Root Explorer to edit the files rather than adb or terminal emulator.

After all this, I was then able to successfully connect to my computers wireless Ad-Hoc and benefit from the hi speeds of my work network.

NOTE- Depending on yours/works firewall, some apps may not work, for i.e. my market will not download apps as it cannot connect, apparently my work blocks that particular port. But most other apps work just fine.