USB mounted drive + Google Navigation = too much to handle?

mbeatle

Reaction score
This weekend I was making a few trips to visit family and I decided to try out Navigation to check for traffic, etc. My wife has an Alpine IDA-X001 headunit which allows you to use an ipod or memory stick plugged into it to play music. I mounted the Droid's SD card and started to play, no problem. However, once I loaded up Navigation, I noticed tiny skips in the music every 10-15 seconds which was very distracting. Once I shut off Navigation the music sounded fine. Has anyone else seen this issue? It's somewhat of a downer not to be able to play music and use Navigation at the same time without these issues.

bennyj

Reaction score
I was just doning this very thing today, I plug my phone into my stero via usb, turned on the goog nav and mine played fine. No scipping at all. I am actual impressed with how well it sounds, so much better than plugging into the aux.

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't think this is a stereo related thing. What model headunit do you have? Maybe it was the bitrate of the files? What are yours encoded at?

bennyj

Reaction score
Yes it could also be the software you used to when ripping them. I keep mine at cd quality wich is 160kbps. I have a sony cdx-gt63oui head unit. I dont hear any cracking or popping at all on it. My tunes sound rich and clean.

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
The files sound fine when Navigation is not running. I'm thinking it could be the small amount of buffer the headunit uses when playing the songs, and the streaming rate goes down just enough to empty the buffer ever so quickly and trigger a skip. Most of my files are 192kbps or higher.