usb device not recognized

P

poxine

When I connect to my computer it pops up "USB device not recognized"
No options come up to mount the sd card on my phone
ive tried factory reseting but that didnt fix it.
when i plug my brothers droid in his connects just fine.
and when i try to connect mine on other computers the same error comes up.
ive tried the uninstall drivers so they reinstall themselves that didnt work either
yes ive restarted my computer and my phone still no luck
ive read about this in other post from other websites but people just take their phone into the store and get a new one.
I dont have that option
D:

NomadS

Reaction score
same problem and did work until yesterday 6/21/10

My droid is doing the same thing. When plugged into same USB port I used previously with success I now get the USB Device not recognized. In addition the phone will not charge with the USB when it previous did. If I turn the Moto Droid off and then plug it in the white LED comes on but the phone does not.. When i turn the phone on the LED goes out and I get no notifications on the phone that it is connected or charging.

I have version 2.1 update1 ( I dont remember seeing the 'update1' portion before but have had the 2.1 for weeks? could this be a problem with some auto update that I didn't know even happened? I am using a comp with windows XP pro with all the updates up to date. Also use Symantec Antivirus and update and run daily.

toddj

Reaction score
I've done some searching, and it appears that other users on this thread have had similar problems. It ended up with them taking their phones to the verizon store and getting a replacement phone. Might be the easiest solution =/

NomadS

Reaction score
not so easy.. hours I work don't give me time to get my a verizon store.. i did email them online (thats how I ordered the phone)..

couple more things.. I turned phone off and plugged in to see if it would charge (it didn't) but when I turned it on when still usb connected I got a black screen with the following:

bootloader
2C.6C

Battery OK
OK to program
Transfer Mode:
USB

In addition.. my wifes phone (same) did not charge last night either so I am wondering if this a an update problem and not a phone problem.

toddj

Reaction score
not so easy.. hours I work don't give me time to get my a verizon store.. i did email them online (thats how I ordered the phone)..

couple more things.. I turned phone off and plugged in to see if it would charge (it didn't) but when I turned it on when still usb connected I got a black screen with the following:

bootloader
2C.6C

Battery OK
OK to program
Transfer Mode:
USB

In addition.. my wifes phone (same) did not charge last night either so I am wondering if this a an update problem and not a phone problem.

Another option is to just call them, they have longer hours and will most likely agree to send you a replacement.

As for the screen, that's a boot loader screen. (though i'm surprised it would show up on accident, you normally have to press UP on the directional pad while it's booting.)

It might be an update thing, but 2.1 update-1 is the same thing that everyone else is on. I can't help you for certain there.
If both phones are acting in similar manners, perhaps it is the computer you are plugging it in to? Just a thought.
Good luck

Taegost

Reaction score
Try using a different physical USB port on the computer, sometimes Windows will decide randomly that some ports won't work with some devices anymore.
XP was especially bad with that for me.

NomadS

Reaction score
I use the computer USB but my wife does the wall charger .. neither is charging. I also have a seidio docking station and it didn't work at first.. but I took the battery out and back in and it did charge last night.

phone was closed when the boot screen came up.. no way to push the directional button.

I guess I will have to call them.

Thanks for trying though!

NomadS

Reaction score
reply from verizon

Good morning. I am sorry to learn that you have been unable to charge your Motorola Droid through your USB port on your personal computer. Upon receipt of your e-mail, it was too early to call and personally assist you with this equipment issue. The charging issue you have described may need to be duplicated with a live representative, as troubleshooting equipment via E-mail is extremely difficult. My name is Lasina, and I have provided you with some basic troubleshooting steps you may try on your own to resolve the issue below:

1. Power your device off.
2. Remove the Battery from the back of your device.
3. Place the Battery back into your phone.
4. Power your phone back on.
5. Dial *228 and SEND
6. When prompted, select option 2.
7. Stay on line until you receive a "completed" message.

If the battery charging issue still persists after following the instructions above, please contact our Customer Service Department at 800-922-0204 from a landline phone to speak with a representative who will walk you through step-by-step instructions to troubleshoot the issue. Please have your wireless phone fully charged and available when you call.

MaCe

Reaction score
did anyone ever find a solution to the PC not recognizing the Droid? im having same issues ... all of a sudden no PC will recognize my phone , to get things off the SD card i have to unmount it and actually plug it into my computer via an adapter.. which is annoying

plus i would like to root .. but need my computer to recognize my phone first :)