Upgrade to 2.1 vs Rooted

Tat2

Reaction score
now that some have been able to upgrade to 2.1, is there any difference as to those who were rooted and on 2.1 ???

Like for instance, some apps required you to be rooted....Now that some have done the upgrade to 2.1 without rooting, will those apps that needed to be rooted now work with those who have just done the 2.1 upgrade???

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Like for instance, some apps required you to be rooted....Now that some have done the upgrade to 2.1 without rooting, will those apps that needed to be rooted now work with those who have just done the 2.1 upgrade???

If an app requires root, it requires root - having 2.1 doesn't change that.

If the app is something that is included with 2.1 (the new 3D gallery, etc), it never required root to run - you just needed root to be able to install it over the existing system app.

JT3

Reaction score
If an app requires root access, that has nothing to do with the version of the operating system. They'll still need root access on 2.1.

As to the other question... Many found the OTA update to be lacking in features compared to the ROMs that were already available, so there's still valid reasons for rooting and running custom ROMs. Plus, you can do things that you'll NEVER be able to do on an official Operating System, like overclock.

Still, the official O/S is supported when you take it in to the Verizon store for support, and even though the various developers have made running a custom ROM childlishly easy, it's still not for everyone. Plus, the official ROM will tend to be more stable than custom ROMs (although that's not necessarily true in every case).

So... which is better? That's totally a personal preference, and not one that I nor anyone else can really answer for you.

mlposer

Reaction score
rooting and upgrade question

If I root the droid will i still receive the 2.1 OTA update when it is available? Thanks

JT3

Reaction score
If I root the droid will i still receive the 2.1 OTA update when it is available? Thanks
If all you do is root the Droid, then yes, you'll still receive the OTA update... although I think it will remove the root access from your phone once you take it. If you install a custom ROM after rooting, then probably not. I think all the major custom ROM devs disable the OTA updates. However, many of them offer their own OTA updates via ROM Manager.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Yes - if you JUST root the phone, you will still receive the update.

HOWEVER - chances are, when you root, you are also installing a rom or something, no? Most rom images block over-the-air updates. You can also manually block those updates by renaming or deleting /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

mlposer

Reaction score
Droid Rooting and updates

Thanks this is helpful. So if I install a wifi tethering app then that would prevent me from updating? would I be able to force an update? Also... are there any ROMs that allow bluetooth voice dialing?

Thanks

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Thanks this is helpful. So if I install a wifi tethering app then that would prevent me from updating?

A wifi tethering app doesn't have anything to do with updating. It won't prevent you from updating (manually or over-the-air), but if you accept the over-the-air update, your tethering will no longer work.

would I be able to force an update?

yep

Also... are there any ROMs that allow bluetooth voice dialing?

Not that I know of, but I believe there are some apps that are working to address this deficiency.

mlposer

Reaction score
Rooting Question

OK. So this is probably a stupid question but.... Isn't the wifi tethering app a rom? I though that it disabled the OTA update? I assume I haveto root the droid for wifi tethering?

Thanks so much

Tatootie

Reaction score
OK. So this is probably a stupid question but.... Isn't the wifi tethering app a rom? I though that it disabled the OTA update? I assume I haveto root the droid for wifi tethering?

Thanks so much

No. wifi tethering is an app, and it requires root access.
Custom roms usually block the ota updates.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

wifi tethering app is just an app. To use it, it requires root access and a custom kernel. You can get that custom kernel by installing a ROM, but it's not required. You can install just a kernel and nothing else, if you want.

Disabling OTA updates and enabling wifi tethering are two completely independent things. A ROM might do both for you, it might do neither, or it could do either one and not the other.

There are LOTS of options for which ROM you can pick if you want to go that route. Most will do both the OTA update blocking and installing a custom kernel (to allow wifi tethering), but you will want to check with the feature list of that rom. Wifi Tethering is not a ROM, but a feature that some roms include.

mlposer

Reaction score
rooting

So if I root, then run a wifi tethering app, then run the ota update can i reload the wifi tehering app again so it can run?

Thanks

Se7enLC

Reaction score
So if I root, then run a wifi tethering app, then run the ota update can i reload the wifi tehering app again so it can run?

That doesn't make sense. To get wifi tethering to work, you need to flash a new kernel (or install a new rom) then run the app. The app alone does nothing. If you receive the ota update, it will overwrite your kernel with the new stock kernel, making tethering no longer work.

You NEED root to tether, so you can't use the OTA update at all. You can install a hacked version of the update that has root access, then install an updated kernel, then run the wifi tether app. Or skip the update alltogether and just install a 2.1 based rom that includes a new kernel .

mlposer

Reaction score
stability of roms and reverting

Hi. First i want to thank you for all of the assistance. still a couple of questions?

1. How stable oare these roms typically? I need a reliable phone for business purposes.

2. can i revert back by forcing an update to teh stock 2.1?

3. Is now a good time to be installing roms when it is so close to the ota vzw rollout? Will the developers be coming out with more roms that incorporate the 2.1 functionality?

Thanso so much for your responses...