Upgrade from the Droid 2 Global to the Droid 4?

carguy

Reaction score
The girlfriend is due for an upgrade also. She has the D2G, been having fits with it freezing, etc for a while.

If she wants to continue using the physical keypad, seems like the Droid 4 is the way to go?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
I believe that the D4 is the way to go since it is on ICS (at least I am idk if everyone's gotten the update yet) and seems extremely stable also the hardware is phenomenal however I would look into a case just for some added protection

silver6054

Reaction score
The girlfriend is due for an upgrade also. She has the D2G, been having fits with it freezing, etc for a while.

If she wants to continue using the physical keypad, seems like the Droid 4 is the way to go?

Thoughts?

I used my Droid 2 Global until about 6 weeks ago, when I got the Droid 4 (full price to keep unlimited data). I'm pretty happy, the ICS update has given back the global part, which is important for me.

Pros: I live in a strong 4G area, so the extra speed is very nice
Keyboard is great. Really like the separate number keys (the Droid 3 had these, but on the D2G, always having to press alt etc)
ICS is smoother than gingerbread
Seems more stable, no overheating or random reboots. But early days, some people experienced these on the D2G only after several months.

Cons: Major one is screen. Bigger than the D2G, but the quality isn't as good, lots of ghosting on fast movements. Not terrible, and certainly not unusable, but better screens exist!
Feel. The D2G seemed more sturdy, but I have already dropped the Droid 4 several times with no damage at all, so this is purely subjective.

So, if a physical keyboard is important and you are on Verizon, I think this is for now the obvious choice. If you don't mind doing your typing on a larger screen, again there may be better choices

kwyrt

Reaction score
Saw on DF main page VZ is getting the Samsung Stratosphere 2. Depending on the specs that might end up being a viable alternative. I do really like my D4 though. :)

Droid 4 - AOKP Flatliner-Th3ory

OP
carguy

carguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The extra # keys will be a plus for her.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Larger screen, dual core & faster CPU, better keyboard, 4G, front camera, ICS......it's a pretty significant upgrade from the D2G.

DroidudeAZ

Reaction score
My roomie has the D2G and I have the D4. It's definitely a great phone, much more capable than the D2G. The Blur Motorola is using on ICS is far less intrusive than on the D2G and actually useful. Motorola's music player is better than stock and syncs over wifi. I think you'll be pretty happy with it.

LocoRon

Reaction score
Cons: Major one is screen. Bigger than the D2G, but the quality isn't as good, lots of ghosting on fast movements. Not terrible, and certainly not unusable, but better screens exist!

A lot of people say this about D4's screen... and it is true that there is a noticeable... blurring during scrolling (particularly with light text on a dark background). But! This screen's strength is that it is easily viewable in sunlight. All in all, I actually love this screen! (To be certain though, I wouldn't want the screen type used on anything other than my phone.)

DroidudeAZ

Reaction score
I definitely agree with you. I'll trade off a little sharpness for the ability to be able to see the screen outside.

podspi

Reaction score
I'd like to second how awesome the screen is... I have 3 VZW 4G phones, an HTC Thunderbolt, a Pantech Breakout, and a D4. While the D4's screen is NOT the best to look at indoors, it is the only one easily usable outside.

Since I don't do a lot of video watching or photography on my phone, I think it is a decent trade-off. Though I understand why people comparing the D4 and other phones side-by-side inside ding it for the screen.

Theron

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Droid 4 from the D2G. The only thing I miss is a removable battery. Other than that, my D4 is better for me in every way. I love having HDMI, and I use my LapDock every day.

4low4fun

Reaction score
Theron said:
I upgraded to the Droid 4 from the D2G. The only thing I miss is a removable battery. Other than that, my D4 is better for me in every way. I love having HDMI, and I use my LapDock every day.

The inability to add an extended battery is definitely a bummer...

OP
carguy

carguy

Reaction score
Looks like she is going with the iphones 4S for $50.

Sent from a DROID X while driving

silver6054

Reaction score
I guess that's a good price, just not sure how much of an upgrade it is (small screen, no LTE, just like the D2G) but it might work with less hassle! Please let us know what she thinks once she has had it for a while.