Update Fail

Randy72560

Reaction score
I saw I had 2 new updates for my S4 - The first one updated fine, but the second has failed 2-3 times. I just get a "no changes made, update failure" - Phone still works fine. I guess the update is for Lolipop, I wouldn't care much, but I see a big battery drain since the last update, was hoping that might fix it.

Any idea why it's failing?

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
Ya know I'm 99% sure I had it rooted before this update, but I never did anything with the root. Anyway, the update downloads, sorta slowly, then it finishes, asked me to confirm I want to "update now", and then works for a few, then gives me a failure message.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hey Randy, sorry to hear about the difficulties with your S4. You originally said it wasn't rooted, but then said you were 99% sure that it was. It doesn't matter if you didn't do anything with your device after you rooted it, rooting modifies your system, and with many devices you must first return it to stock before updating your device. On the same token taking an OTA update will break root, so we'll need just a little more information before can proceed. Do you have the Superuser app in your app drawer, or you can go to the play store and download "root checker" Root Checker - Android Apps on Google Play to see if your device is still rooted.
What's the model number of your S4 and who is your carrier? If you aren't rooted, you might try doing a factory data reset and then re-attempt the update. If you are still rooted you'll need to Odin back to stock first.
We've got some really knowledgeable S4 members on the forum who may have some other suggestions so hang in there and we'll do what we can to get you fixed up.

S5 tap'n

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I have everything to ODIN restore the device to stock here! Just let me know your carrier!! ;)

It will take about 1 hour to complete the repair, also back up all your data!! Use samsung kies 3 and do a complete backup

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
I forgot about this tread - my device was rooted, I think I tried the update, and it failed, and according to the root checker app, I am no longer rooted.

I was considering doing a factory reset, then updating, etc - Don't want to brick my phone though - Thoughts?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You should be fine to factory reset and update, but just to be on the safe side, download your factory image from Sam mobile to flash via Odin, just in case. Firmwares