Unroot Question

Megalodon

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking to root my phone and I've been lurking a bit, reading instructions and researching the proposed OTA. I'm new to this, but not phone hacks, tweaks in general so I understand almost everything. I have just a couple small questions, largely about unrooting. From what I have read (and I apologize if there was a thread with a definite answer). Unrooting can only return the phone to stock purchase correct? There is no way to just remove SU abilities and Boot recoveries to previous state? I'm going to use Unrevoked, now I have Leopard Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.4. I plan to use OSX, I presume there are real differences?

I guess what I'm unsure about, is it possible to return the phone to the way I have it, settings/programs and all to the state it is right before root, like a Titanium backup? I'm only looking to root to gain wireless tether, I really have any interest in roms (yet) or messing with radio patches.

Lastly, once this OTA update comes, and all I do is just gain SU without radio changes or 2.2 roms, can/will I be able to see and update to the official Froyo using stock 2.1 sense without changing anything? What about custom 2.1/sense roms that don't require a radio upgrade? I don't care if I lose root in the process of going official.

I looked at Unrevoked Forever, and I just don't like the idea of the lack of ability to revert back if ever need be. Should the ability to root be lost in the update, I know it will be back soon, way too many talented and dedicated people interested VS the ones who designed it. Thanks you for any help and I look forward to finally doing this.

Last edited:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking to root my phone and I've been lurking a bit, reading instructions and researching the proposed OTA. I'm new to this, but not phone hacks, tweaks in general so I understand almost everything. I have just a couple small questions, largely about unrooting. From what I have read (and I apologize if there was a thread with a definite answer). Unrooting can only return the phone to stock purchase correct? There is no way to just remove SU abilities and Boot recoveries to previous state? I'm going to use Unrevoked, now I have Leopard Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.4. I plan to use OSX, I presume there are real differences?

I guess what I'm unsure about, is it possible to return the phone to the way I have it, settings/programs and all to the state it is right before root, like a Titanium backup? I'm only looking to root to gain wireless tether, I really have any interest in roms (yet) or messing with radio patches.

Lastly, once this OTA update comes, and all I do is just gain SU without radio changes or 2.2 roms, can/will I be able to see and update to the official Froyo using stock 2.1 sense without changing anything? What about custom 2.1/sense roms that don't require a radio upgrade? I don't care if I lose root in the process of going official.

I looked at Unrevoked Forever, and I just don't like the idea of the lack of ability to revert back if ever need be. Should the ability to root be lost in the update, I know it will be back soon, way too many talented and dedicated people interested VS the ones who designed it. Thanks you for any help and I look forward to finally doing this.

Without s-off don't count on the real ota being rooted soon. HTC is getting very smart and have very solid security being implemented in the ota. For example check on the root status for the evo user that did the ota. I suspect by the time its rooted the devs will have moved on to newer better devices.

And the only way to unroot is the ruu or PB31IMG.zip. This will take you completely back to stock.

OP
M

Megalodon

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. You make a very valid point that I did not take into consideration. The only reason keeping me from using Forever is the lack of option to return to S-ON. It's not that I don't believe it to be safe or anything, I just like having the option of always reverting back. With what you posted, it makes sense to 'go big or go home' per se. Now, from what I understand I can go S-OFF without updating the radio correct, so long as the version is compatible with what is listed by Unrevoked?

Ok, I thought it was only able to revert back to stock. The reason I ask, is that I have some apps (namely Shazaam) that have features based on time installed. Guess I'd have to get Pro or go Shock hound, no biggie.

Thanks again, time to replace some TV convergence IC's then maybe take the plunge.