unplug headphones = no sound?

krobi26

Reaction score
Ever since the recent update, I've noticed that when I plug head phones into my droid, then unplug them, the device doesn't seem to be aware that I unplugged them. I can't hear music, games, or people talking to me on the phone. If I plug the headphones back in, I can hear things just fine through the head phones.

Putting people on speaker phone seems to allow me to hear them fine, but that's loud and that only lets me hear phone calls. It doesn't fix the problem with my music and games when I don't want headphones on.

Rebooting the device fixes it, but that kinda sucks too. I've just tried to avoid plugging head phones into it lately.

Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
Ditto, needs a fix BADLY. This is a HUGE problem for me.

Xerozix

Reaction score
OK. There are a billion threads for this. Here is what I've come up with.

First, that cracking noise through headphones on the phone is a crappy design, either that or I have a defective droid and I didn't know it.

The problem with the headphone jack is I think the phone isn't correctly reading the jack. It's trying to look for something that isn't there.

OP
K

krobi26

Reaction score
Well out of the billion threads, the only ones I saw here seemed to be related to distortion when the volume is to loud. I did some searching but didn't see anything that directly addressed this issue, so sorry if I made a duplicate thread.

Also, I don't recall having this problem before the update. I hope we get another update quickly to fix this.

r_oneal

Reaction score
I've had the same issue. What's worked for me is to plug the headset in, then pull it out again - so far that has cleared up the problem. Obviously, it's not ideal, but at least it's a workaround until a real fix is released.

OP
K

krobi26

Reaction score
that doesn't work for me =(. I have to restart to fix it.

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
yeah, seems as though I have to restart to correct as well. I also don't recall this happening before the update, this NEEDS to be addressed. (and there are not a billion threads on this, if there are, I sure don't see them)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might have a bad Droid... I've had no such issues and I use a set of headphones daily... never had to reboot to regain sound.

OP
K

krobi26

Reaction score
I did discover something new about this problem. I don't seem to have this problem with certain headphones. I'm sitting here right now plugging and unplugging headphones from my phone and the sound switches from headphone mode to normal mode seamlessly. I got some new headphones around the day that the 2.0.1 update came out, and I always have the unplug = no sound problem with them. I figured it was something wrong with the update but now I'm wondering if it really is a hardware issue.

The headphones I got also include a microphone that I should be able to use for making calls, but I haven't really tried that part of it. I just wanted to mention that in case the microphone may be causing the issue somehow.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did discover something new about this problem. I don't seem to have this problem with certain headphones. I'm sitting here right now plugging and unplugging headphones from my phone and the sound switches from headphone mode to normal mode seamlessly. I got some new headphones around the day that the 2.0.1 update came out, and I always have the unplug = no sound problem with them. I figured it was something wrong with the update but now I'm wondering if it really is a hardware issue.

The headphones I got also include a microphone that I should be able to use for making calls, but I haven't really tried that part of it. I just wanted to mention that in case the microphone may be causing the issue somehow.

neither 3.5mm plug i use for the headphone jack has a microphone. just adding that in in case there's some validity to this idea :)

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
well, mine is plugging into my car stereo, only a stereo jack, no mic.

when I get a call and this is goign on, I have to switch to a headset with a mic to get it to work.

Don't really see how it could be a 'hardware' issue, at least on the headset side. There is just 2 possible states, plugged or unplugged, seems like the phone isn't detecting this properly.

cc16177

Reaction score
I had this problem with my Imagio and it turned out that one set of headphones I own the little prong was bent to the side a little, so when I plugged it in that dreaded first time it essentially broke the sensor or whatever it is that determines whether or not the headphones we're plugged in or not... so the phone always thought it had headphones plugged in and even the speakerphone wouldn't work so the only way I could make calls was through my BT headset or by actually plugging in headphones to the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well, mine is plugging into my car stereo, only a stereo jack, no mic.

when I get a call and this is goign on, I have to switch to a headset with a mic to get it to work.

Don't really see how it could be a 'hardware' issue, at least on the headset side. There is just 2 possible states, plugged or unplugged, seems like the phone isn't detecting this properly.

so when you are listening to music can you.... answer the call while still connected (audio out through your speakers) and hit the 'speaker' button and talk that way? this is how i use it when I get a call and I've got music playing. i'm just curious.

icelover

Reaction score
My fix...

Make sure both Music and Setting services are running before unplug the headset. Use taskiller or advanced task killer to confirm it.

Let me know if this solution works.

Al.