unlocking a955 for tmobile....

BlueAngel

Reaction score
ok so i ordered a driod 2 off ebay. the description said it was an a956, which would mean it is a global... however i just received it, and the main screen does not say it is a global... and the phone info says it is in fact an a955... i bought this specifically bc i want to get it unlocked to use with a tmobile sim... am i totally screwed?????

is there any way that an a955 can be unlocked?? please advise

Ojelola

Reaction score
The A955 Droid2 is not a global phone, and has no SIM card slot. That phone is strictly CDMA. So, there is no way to unlock it for GSM services such as T-Mobile or AT&T. The A956 Droid2 Global (D2G) is indeed a global phone and does have a SIM card slot. The most obvious difference in outside appearance between the A955 and A956 is the color of the housing. The A955 Droid2 is black, while the A956 Droid2 Global is dark sapphire blue.

If you do get your hands on a D2G, it can be unlocked. However, you will first have to SIM unlock it, then band unlock it. This is because the GSM frequency bands in the USA are locked out, to prevent use of other carriers in the USA.

Meanwhile, if you are totally set on the idea of using the A955 on T-mobile, yes, you are totally screwed. If the phone was sold to you as the A956, that's a serious misrepresentation. You need to contact the seller and/or ebay, and get your money back. If you paid through PayPal, put in a complaint through PayPal as well.

PS: I just noticed the date of your post. It's been a month already. I do hope you were able to get your money back. If you still have the phone, and you are unable to return it for a refund, you might consider using the phone through PagePlusCellular. It operates on the Verizon network, and requires no flashing or any other modification on the Droid2. PagePlusCellular does not require a contract, and it is a lot cheaper than getting service directly with Verizon.

ok so i ordered a driod 2 off ebay. the description said it was an a956, which would mean it is a global... however i just received it, and the main screen does not say it is a global... and the phone info says it is in fact an a955... i bought this specifically bc i want to get it unlocked to use with a tmobile sim... am i totally screwed?????

is there any way that an a955 can be unlocked?? please advise

Last edited:

DroidDryad

Reaction score
The A956 Droid2 Global (D2G) is indeed a global phone and does have a SIM card slot.
If you do get your hands on a D2G, it can be unlocked. However, you will first have to SIM unlock it, then band unlock it. This is because the GSM frequency bands in the USA are locked out, to prevent use of other carriers in the USA.

Thanks Ojelola for the long info; it helped me get my A956 unlocked and working fine on GSM networks.